Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

No Water In The Header Tank!

Tim17

Hi, i've only had the car a few days, but i noticed the radiatior cooling fan (not the AC fan) comes on quite frequently, or frequently compared to my last car (mk4 golf) which only ever came on once i think on a hot hot day!

So anyway today after work i reminded myself i must check the level of the coolant! When i eventually found where to read the coolant level (lol :whistling: ) the header tank reading was completely empty, zero, dry as ghandis flip flops! So, i've now topped up the header tank to the 'max' reading, but does this mean the radiator itself could be low on fluids also? How do i check?

Do i just check the header tank reading again after the engine has been running long enough for the thermostat to open and see if the level has dropped?

Thanks.

Hi, i've only had the car a few days, but i noticed the radiatior cooling fan (not the AC fan) comes on quite frequently, or frequently compared to my last car (mk4 golf) which only ever came on once i think on a hot hot day!

So anyway today after work i reminded myself i must check the level of the coolant! When i eventually found where to read the coolant level (lol :whistling: ) the header tank reading was completely empty, zero, dry as ghandis flip flops! So, i've now topped up the header tank to the 'max' reading, but does this mean the radiator itself could be low on fluids also? How do i check?

Do i just check the header tank reading again after the engine has been running long enough for the thermostat to open and see if the level has dropped?

Thanks.

As I believe the head gasket can be an issue with the IS, could this be the problem? I'm sure someone will confirm (or dismiss the theory) before long.

Phil

Thanks.

As I believe the head gasket can be an issue with the IS, could this be the problem? I'm sure someone will confirm (or dismiss the theory) before long.

Phil

Relating to the smoke on start you mean? Could well be as I was thinking the same, but if it was the headgasket i thought the smoke would be more often not just on startup? However, it has had a new radiatior as the old one got damaged by some stone (apparently) and had to be replaced, so i was thinking maybe the garage just didn't put coolant in correctly or something :eerrrmm:

When i undo the actual radiatior cap (metal one), should i be able to see coolant towards the top of the rad if it has sufficient coolant inside?

I was really only suggesting a possible head gasket as I assumed the water went down over the days you've had it. If it's had a new rad I guess that may explain something. It'll take another IS owner to put you right with the coolant filling technique though. One will come along soon!

Yes you should be able to if its not empty,but undo it while engine is cold please,the expansion bottle is just behind the radiator and has a black cover which you need to open to fill with coolant/antifreeze,hope this helps.

This is quite common. I found mine bone dry after i bought it and have seen numerous other owners in the same situation, including a fellow member at the meet last saturday. Dont think it always means a problem as mine has been fine after i topped it up. i think owners just forgot over years and year to keep a eye on it as its fairly hidden

Well when i posted the same post 6 or 7 months ago 3 other ppl also found there header tank empty or very low after checking, then someone at the meet and now OP. Thats 7 including myself... ide say its quite common. Im not saying a leak is the issue, i think coolant does just evaporate over time and needs topping up. although i did think mine was leaking but found it to be my headlight washer pipe. so just screenwash lol

What Pete said^

And there's no 'head gasket issue' with the 1st gen IS

You're thinking of the IS220D :)

Thank you for putting me right with that one. As they say "a little knowledge is a bad thing"

If the radiator has been replaced, with any luck there was just an air lock which has now passed. This 'hole' gets filled with water, thus leaving your expansion tank empty. Hopefully you'll be ok now.

The most common water loss faults on these seem to be either the radiator on higher mileage vehicles or water pump. The engine is solid as a rock, I shouldn't worry about that unless it has been miss treated.

Thanks for the reply guys, so after i topped up the header tank to the max, a few days later it has dropped to just over half on the reading, so once again i will top it up to the max, and keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't keep dropping :)

Make sure that you use antifreeze in your water else you'll have issues with corrosion in the engine.... As it has been said above, the water pump does suffer from leaks and so may well be worth a good looksee...

Yep i am, thanks :)

It's also worth pointing out that if it's got Toyota Red in it, when you've sorted the leak or happy it's not going down any more you'll need to change your coolant. Unless of course you're replacing with Toyota stuff. It doesn't like mixing with other stuff.

no water in header tank ( expansion reservoir ) means you either have some sort of air lock or a leak from the cooling system.

that you will have to check out my friend -

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links