Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've had my 1995 LS 400 now for 2 and a half years. I bought it off Autotrader with 93,000 miles and one owner and FLSH. In fact the owner died and it was part of the estate.

An excellent car with no problems. I've updated it with an Alpine stereo (Bluetooth) which works perfectly and grooved discs to improve the 'nineties' braking. Other expenditure is a new set of tyres and recent a/c re-gas. It's now done 109,000 miles. Gets fairly regular use from me and my son.

I recently sold my Subaru Legacy spec B as I want something else, like another LS, but want to know which is best, the LS 430 or 460. I get the impression from various topics here that neither of these are considered as bullet proof as the 400. My gut feeling is to go for the 460 as is certainly more powerful with 100 bhp more than the 430. But there are some 430 bargains out there. Quite a big difference in prices between the two.

Thanks in advance to the experts!

Banjo hi ........ i would find it scary to trade away from a damned good LS400 to a 430 or 460 ........... I take it you have read all the postings about the challenges owners have faced with these later models ?

Malc

Hi Malc,

I wasn't going to sell Lex, just add another Lexus 430 or 460, this would be the replacement for my Subaru.

No haven't read too many postings on the probs with 430/460 models, not sure where to look tbh.

My wife loves the 400, says it's the best car we've ever had, I paid £1900 for it so peanuts depreciation.

Hi Banjo,

Some say and I have to agree that the MK4 is without doubt the best LS they ever made. There are still some good ones around but they are getting rarer. I have had one for 3 1/2 years now with good FSH and one owner and she has given us good service over the 50,000 miles we have done with her and just the normal servicing bits and pieces needed over that time, the worst being the original Battery died after only being 12 years old and an original tail light that went around the same age.

Apart from those 2 disappointments its been a gas, did you see what I did there? Mike

I think I'd only consider a later LS on two conditions.

Either if it was cheap enough to scrap if something expensive needed doing, or if covered by a cast iron warranty while in my ownership.

Can't see either happening any time soon to be honest.

Thanks gents for the advice and info.

I take it your pleased with your LPG conversion Mike? I've got a Chevrolet Astrovan with LPG also,Trouble is where I live you have to drive 10 miles to the nearest garage that sells LPG, thats about half a gallon!

We laugh about the build quality of American compared to Jap cars, both my kids have Jap cars, my daughter a Toyota Glanza turbo which she's had for 11 years and my son a Mitsubishi Evo MR8 FQ 320 which he bought new 8 years ago.

I know what you mean Michael, major items are expensive, but I think you have to try to ignore the intrinsic value of the car and just replace, you'll still have a car for a long time.

Regarding the 430, i have owned one for over a year now and found it immaculate.

You do hear sob stories for all models of car, the Lexus brand included.

You will find good and bad in all models, 400, 430, 460 and including the 600.

Quite often you find people commenting only the negative side of any car, not so often do you hear the comments of how much a car has been in reliability etc, maybe we need to change our outlook and be more positive than negative.

The simple truth is, do your research and bide your time for a good one to come along, i took 3 months to find my 430 after seeing about 10 others.

You buy a Lexus and you should be aware that it can cost a lot to fix, if you want to pay peanuts for repairs then don't buy a Lexus is my comment of the day.

Regarding the 430, i have owned one for over a year now and found it immaculate.

Quite often you find people commenting only the negative side of any car, not so often do you hear the comments of how much a car has been in reliability etc, maybe we need to change our outlook and be more positive than negative.

The simple truth is, do your research and bide your time for a good one to come along, i took 3 months to find my 430 after seeing about 10 others.

You buy a Lexus and you should be aware that it can cost a lot to fix, if you want to pay peanuts for repairs then don't buy a Lexus is my comment of the day.

There's peanuts, and then there's 6 grand for a steering rack on a LS460, apparently not an unusual requirement according to this thread.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/80623-ls460-steering-rack/?hl=%20ls460%20%20steering%20%20rack

There's peanuts, and then there's 6 grand for a steering rack on a LS460, apparently not an unusual requirement according to this thread.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/80623-ls460-steering-rack/?hl=%20ls460%20%20steering%20%20rack

I don't see the problem, i buy a luxury car and i expect to pay luxury money if it fails.

Break it down to cars needing repair to cars manufactured, how many fords require major repairs to the amount made, thousands i would imagine, i bet the ratio of Lexus needing major repair would be far less, the amount of money required to fix them however would be the opposite way around i fear.

Mate has a Ford Focus, 2011, less than 15k on it, condensation in both front lights, gearbox oil leak, power sags to idle, scary when doing more than 50, these are all common faults and more that ford know about. I know he will get it sorted on warranty, but that amount of common faults is unacceptable on a new car.

How many out of warranty cars suffer major faults, i would not dare guess.

My car is 10yo now and i bet it will outlast his ford.

All cars like i said have faults, luxury cars cost more to fix. Thats the down side to owning a Lexus.

I don't see the problem, i buy a luxury car and i expect to pay luxury money if it fails.

Break it down to cars needing repair to cars manufactured, how many fords require major repairs to the amount made, thousands i would imagine, i bet the ratio of Lexus needing major repair would be far less, the amount of money required to fix them however would be the opposite way around i fear.

Mate has a Ford Focus, 2011, less than 15k on it, condensation in both front lights, gearbox oil leak, power sags to idle, scary when doing more than 50, these are all common faults and more that ford know about. I know he will get it sorted on warranty, but that amount of common faults is unacceptable on a new car.

How many out of warranty cars suffer major faults, i would not dare guess.

My car is 10yo now and i bet it will outlast his ford.

All cars like i said have faults, luxury cars cost more to fix. Thats the down side to owning a Lexus.

If you don't see a problem, that's fine.

I'd have a massive problem spending six grand on a single repair on any car, unless it still had a value much higher, especially when you can still buy a very nice LS for a third of that.

As I said ......... could be scary !!! and my being extremely conservative with a huge C where cars are concerned I would just maybe buy another LS400 !!!

Leave the probabilities of major financial disasters to those with deeper pockets than me :tomato:

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links