Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Slightly Peeved With Latest Purchase

raymundo

Last Saturday I bought my Lexus IS200 and apart from the CD player falling over for good the same day I noticed that the rear discs looked like they needed new pads so bought a set and on Sunday (in the drizzle) set about changing them. That is when the problems began ..... seized totally and impossible to get out even with the aid of a big hammer, I got so annoyed with the 'thing' I gave it a hefty wack and broke the part where the pin goes through !!

I didn't check the other side but probably the same and so have just sent off an email to Bigg Red asking for the price of two refurbed calipers.

I had to drive 587 miles from Elgin to Colchester for work over Sunday night and was looking forward to see how the Lexus went on an mt M6 but had to bring my Connect van instead at 65 +/-, slightly peeved at that idea but there ya go :shifty:

I have only checked two items so far and they are both fubared, don't know whether I dare check out anything else when I get home again in three weeks :whistling:

The person I bought the car off said he felt bad about the CD player being kaput so he offered me a refund ........ princely sum of £30, told him what to do with it !! But the car WILL be OK,

Wont it??

When I next get home and once the brakes are fixed it's into the workshop to have a good check over and that includes all belts, tensioners etc etc. I tell the better half that these must be done at whatever cost 'cos I don't want her driving it and anything go wrong on her while I'm away (if I leave it at home and take another), that way she don't moan at me too much about the cost.

I don't know whether I should admit this but she has a Corsa :eerrrmm: which has about the same amount of umph as I use putting my socks on in the morning :whistling:

Has this car got no service history? Sounds like it needed money spending on it before the sale and you now have the job and expense of doing so, just hope you don't end up with major problems or spending more in repairs than the car is worth.

If you couldn't release the calipers they have obviously been seized for some time due to lack of servicing or neglect.

Knowing my luck (of which I have plenty ..... all bad) I have bought a pup. It has a part service history, obviously the early time of it's life but I do have a bit of leeway in terms of cost over value. Bigg Red has got back to me with the price of exchange calipers, £159 plus delivery so hopefully they can be waiting for me to fit upon my return home then I can look for the next problem !!

I dont think those rear brakes have worked since Henry Ford brought out the Model T

Because the casting has been damaged BigRedd may not be able to accept the caliper on an exchange basis. I would maybe email them with a pic before sending them off as you could be liable for the postage. I'm not sure but it would be worth checking beforehand.

It's not unusual for the rear pads to get stuck in the pockets they slide into, it's due to a build up of brake dust forming a caulk and making them hard to get out. A lot of brake cleaner and lots of gently but firm prying will see them release. The whole area needs to be cleaned out with a wire brush to prevent a build up of dust when the pads are out.

Had an email from BR just a few mins ago stating the same, so I need to find an old pair pronto to send to him so they can be refurbed as he sold his last set Wednesday of last week, so if anyone has some .... I cant get any or even look as I'm on a boat working the Thames estuary.

Perhaps I can have a look on fleabay ??????

• 4 weeks later...

New rear callipers and pads now fitted and working fine but the front wheels are coming off tomorrow morn to check them through and give them a bit of a do over.

While out trying the new brakes with the engine warming up the car was running a bit off and then the engine orange warning light came on so I pulled over and turned it off, had a check round under the bonnet but all seemed OK, restarted it and no light visible, engine sounding sweet, so gingerly drove away with no apparent problems so put my foot down and the car just flew. Could it have been that as the car hadn't been run for about a month there was a bit of damp somewhere causing that? I live right by the sea.

Latest Update ....

I don't believe it, now I have the flashing traction control and engine warning light on and seen on another Lexus site that it may be one or more of a multitude of things wrong !! all expensive. But it still goes like the wind so I think I will thrash the guts out of it then cut my losses and say that was fun while it lasted as it falls over for good :msn-cry: :( (and go back to my poor ole neglected reliable BMW 530D) OK, :megaangry: it was my fault I bought a wrong un!

Thanks for that Lance, the lights went out but haven't the time yet to take it for a decent run but did a couple of miles and they did not come back on. (as yet) !

Next thing to check is sparking plugs, if I can find them.

When I bought mine a few months back I put it on a ramp when back home and came up with a huge list of things that needed to be done/ i wanted done, you'll find most bits for the car can be had fairly cheap if you look around (google is your friend).

Now that I've finally finished all the bits that had to be done to get her running properly its an absolute dream to drive, just give her a bit of tlc and she will take care of you. You won't regret it :) I know I don't.

What I need is a workshop with a lift of some sort, I'm not the most experienced of people with a spanner but can do most things that require a big hammer ! Where I live is about 50 yards from the sea on the Moray Firth and the weather from this time of the year until about April is not the best area to be working on any vehicle out in the open. But I will get the car up to required standards no matter what because I refuse to let something like this get the better of me no matter what the cost in time or money, just ask my wife or look at the bank balance.

Before I have to go back to work away for another three weeks (I work at sea) I intend to get the car checked over by someone who knows his onions to give me the complete low down (wish I had done that before I bought it) on just what is needed, then after picking myself up off the floor (probably) get stuck in and get it done next time home.

When I was going to go a see a car that I was thinking of buying, which was not local. I rang the local Lexus dealer to try and find out about service history etc. They were really helpful and told me what I should look out for the common faults and even suggested if the car was not too far to bring it into them as they do a free safety check. That is when I learnt that the IS has a timing belt which needs to be changed 60k miles or 10 years. I'd always assumed quality cars had timing chains. In a nutshell the seller did not agree to go the dealer, so I did not buy it. I bought my uncles car 2 years ago who owned it from new and I assumed it would there would be nothing wrong with it and assured me it had been regularly serviced and no expense spared. I bought the car at nephew rate. But when I took it to Lexus there was a list as long as my arm. Fortunately they use a traffic light system to highlight what is essential and non essential which helped to prioritise what to get done. I have also found a Lexus mechanic (from the same dealership) who does private work at non Lexus rates.

I would suggest take it to Lexus if they are not too far away and get them to do a free safety check and that way you will have a starting point and can decide what needs to be done first and what can wait.

Even though I bought my car from family, who had it serviced by clowns and I've spent as much as the car cost me to buy over the last 2 years, it is a great car and I can't see myself ever selling it.

it's always a risk gamble buying a cheap car unless buying a brand new with no fault to worry about.

his site is dedicated to all driver who bought the same model. thank god there's always someone here to help

do a proper research on the car model you after... what to look for and what need to be aware of .. just walk out if u think it's not the right one...

when i bought mine 4years ago i remember the seller told me it had belt changed, ball joints etc etc... and even he let me knock off £200 without asking any question BUT with one condition "sold as it is, no warranty what so ever" ... to be fair they got the car from part exchanged n just wanna clear some space.

always telling myself that i bought my first lexus for under 1k shud need proper check. finally got everything done just a full service ,new belt and arm bushed replace.

3 years on with flying color on MOT test :whistling:

best is to know a garage that let u stand and watch what they doing. ideally if your the diy type u might learn few things or so :shifty:

don't jump into conclusion if the car sick. patience n i'm sure someone will come up with solution the same issue you had or might be an easy fix.

all the best to you

I got mine for £800 and have so far spent almost £600 (including new alloys with nearly new tyres) and shes running lovely, luckily I do know an ex mechanic with a full workshop so can do everything in there with his help. But it is amazing how simple most things are on a car (provided you have the tools) and i've been enjoying every bit of it.

Didn't realise lexus did a safety check for free.. Might have to pop up there at some point. :-)

Today is very damp here and when I used the car first thing it ran like a three legged donkey until it got to op temp then it seemed like a different car altogether but still want to check the spark plugs but how the hell do you get to them? I was also told that normally there is a very small fuel filter somewhere along the line and they are prone to block and can cause uneven running problems, but have open mind on that. We will not surrender !!

The fuel filter is inside the fuel tank part of the fuel pump housing although can be changed separately. To reach the spark plugs you need to remove air filter housing. Then remove the coils (6 square black objects with wires running to them) in the centre of head. The you need a long reach socket and rest is straight forward.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links