Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice On This 400H

Hi Guys,

Hopefully soon to be a new Lexus owner, but wondering if I could get some advice from those in the know about a car I'm looking at.

It seems that 400h's are pretty thin on the ground, and those that do appear get snapped up quickly. I'm hoping to see the following car tomorrow which is priced at £10,750:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201310319571087/sort/locasc/usedcars/price-to/15000/model/rx/make/lexus/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/page/1/postcode/eh36qz/radius/80?logcode=p

Is there anything I should be looking out for on this, particularly as it has 91k on the clock? Does the spec seem right for this kind of money? (According to wisebuyers.co.uk it's about right)

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks

hello

looks fine. Mine is 07 too with 66,000 on the clock, but i got it from a Lexus dealer so payed a bit more.

91,000 is ok, as cars like these are bullet proof. Just check if the inverter has been upgraded per the recall.

Batteries last the life time of the car so no need to change.

take it on a good long drive if you can, make sure no rattles or squeaks.

ja

Not sure the rear DVD screens/ player warrant the extra money... SE-L owners will be able to advise, but make sure they work as I believe they are expensive to repair. Make sure the remote headphones work. (Cna't remember whether there are remotes also)

Check

- the in-dash 6 CD player works properly (all 6 slots),

- the remote camera works

- that the adaptive headlights both work (swivel)

- both keys are in good condition and working.

- carpets are dry

- rear tonneau cover restracts properly

- that the tyres are evenly worn

Also, You will have an expensive service hitting you at 100k miles...

If you've got kids and do any longer journeys, those rear screens are worth their weight in gold! :shifty: I've had to buy 2 separate DVD players, wires everywhere - PITA.

If it goes as well as it looks, you'll be laughing - I paid a little less for mine but that had 100k miles and was a private sale (and no rear screens :whistling: ).

The 100k mile service includes a cambelt change and new inverter coolant, which is why it will be so much (£800 at a Lexus dealer, £500 at an independent).

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

I went to see the car but in the end decided against it for a few reasons.

- There was a tear in the leather on the rear driver door which weren't mentioned in the ad

- It smelled of smoke

- Hadn't been cleaned or valeted (There was a huge tub of dried chilli flakes in the centre storage!?!)

- The vendor was operating from a lock up on a semi derelict industrial estate

Overall, it didn't fill me with confidence and I'd rather pay a bit more and get it from a reputable trader or dealer.

Still on the lookout!

The smoke smell would make it a non-starter for me as well but I wouldn't care about the other stuff if everything else was ok (FSH, good drive, mechanically sound, HPI check ok etc). A decent valet will cost you £30 at Tesco (well, my Tesco does, in their car park :shifty: ).

Lexus dealers will definitely have the best stock but you'd be lucky to pay less than £15k for a car with that spec - that's an awful lot of 'peace of mind' :whistling:

The smoke smell would make it a non-starter for me as well but I wouldn't care about the other stuff if everything else was ok (FSH, good drive, mechanically sound, HPI check ok etc). A decent valet will cost you £30 at Tesco (well, my Tesco does, in their car park :shifty: ).

Lexus dealers will definitely have the best stock but you'd be lucky to pay less than £15k for a car with that spec - that's an awful lot of 'peace of mind' :whistling:

At the cost of repairs needed by some of these older second (or more) hand cars that are related here, that warranty is well worth it!

You clearly made the correct decision, however on a positive note you have now gained some experience of viewing the 400h.

My advice is to go and look at a few more, get familiar with the vehicle and have some test drives to enable you to make comparisons.

I looked at quite a few before I made my choice. The general condition of the interior will indicate whether previous owners took pride in their vehicle or not. Clearly the one you viewed wasn't the case.

When you view privately you will definitely encounter shabby ones, I know I did, but when you find a decent one you can use the experience you've gained to make an informed decision.

I travelled from suffolk up to lexus Derby only to be disappointed on a very shabby rx400h they had @ £23 k as well. Looked at one at lexus norwich, not much better before going all way to lexus hatfield after placing deposit on one there to only buy a different one there as the one I was going to buy wasn,t great either. Can't guarantee even lexus dealers have good ones but least you will get a warranty.

Even though Lexus Derby knew I was travelling all that way to view their car, when I got there it was covered in snow even after me asking for it to be placed undercover for the night, Battery was flat and could not even open doors, complete waste of my time and money. £23k !!!!!!!

With couldn't agree more Phil.

Just because a Lexus dealer has one on the forecourt it doesn't mean it will be a pristine example. When I booked mine in for a service at Lexus Plymouth recently I had a look at what they were offering.

I felt a justification for the time it took me to find a decent RX, when a younger version of mine being offered for £5k more than I had paid and was in a much worse condition. I noticed that it had been resprayed near the fuel door, had no rear bumper scuff protector plus there were scratches and nicks all over the paintwork. Clearly a valet had been done on the interior but it couldn't hide the fact it had been, shall I say.......well used.

There are decent private ones out there, but they will take a little longer to find and you will have to be prepared to travel.

Correct Paul, I was disappointed by what I found whilst looking. Lexus derby did offer to find me one after I complained regarding the service I received but I declined their offer. It always makes me laugh that they all want top money for some pretty bad examples yet when you trade your excellent part ex in its worth nothing, business I suppose. I took nearly two years to find mine and has now still only done 42k miles with hardly a mark on it. They are out there just byde ya time.

It smelled of smoke

I'd have rejected it on this one alone. I don't understand why people still smoke these days given how much is known about the health problems. Add to that the fact that you, your car, your house and your kids will smell...

I had the same problem finding a good example of an RX400h when I was looking. I guess cause of the type of car it's likely to have frequently been loaded up with kids, dogs, leisure equipment etc. Most of the ones I viewed at main dealers had quite a few scrapes inside and out. I ended up travelling to get mine.

Unfortunately, dealers vary a lot. I have previously recommended Lexus Hedge End (Southampton) and continue to do so. All their cars are of good quality and you consistently get impeccable service from both sales and service staff.

Our 400h will be replaced with a 450h when the time comes, and we are considering replacing our second car with a CT200h.

It's not because I love the cars so much, but because I know I will get a good warranty, decent service and will be looked after if I have any issue.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links