Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Windscreen Wiper Replacements

I went to try and buy a replacement drivers side wiper from Halfords only to discover that the Lexus has a special fitting and although Halfords think they stock the correct one on their computers in fact they don't. They suggested that I went to the main dealer. Has anyone found an alternative source other than the main dealer that offers the correct fitting?

Thanks

Barry

On my Mk2 and Mk3 I bought Lexus replacement wiper rubbers. Expensive but don't smear, squeak or rub away at the screen AND they last about 3 years.

Other brands just don't perform.

Malc

• Like 1

Barry, you can try fleabay, I got mine off there. They were very cheap and came with the correct Lexus type fitting, but sadly, not Lexus quality as I've never been able to totally eliminate the squeaking that occours intermittently when they're being used. By the way, don't ever go to Kwik- Fit to get your wipers replaced. For convenience I popped in there once to buy some replacements. Kwik-Fit couldn't for the life of them, work out how to remove the old ones!! I left in disgust without buying any blades and got some off e-bay instead. I managed to remove the old ones myself in about 1 minute. (I would never trust Kwik-Fit with my car). On reflection, I would say that genuine Lexus wipers would be your best bet even if they cost more.

• Like 1

In fact as I ioscovered last week after going to Halfords to get wipers and seeing they only listed the passenger side, I then discovered Newcastle Lexus needed 24 hours to source them which I didn't have to get replacement blades (wipers on car were complete but not effective enough for heavy rain).

I then returned to Halfords to buy any 22" blade to try and fit in the exist arms only to spot a second set of flip cards behind the larger (Halfords) deck - these for Valeo blades. numbers. In this deck both Lexus LS 400 blades are listed and were in stock - 10 minutes later they were installed on the car and work well.

Hence I'd say take another look - the Valeo ones are in green packs and so far in 800 miles in the last week work very well.

Nick

Ca someone please share how to changr the wipers as when I lift mine up they get caught on the bonnet and then when I try to take the blade off it will not turn enough before touching the screen

I looked a right wally trying to do this yesterday

Wipers are normally easy but I struggled with this one and they are still not done !!!

Ca someone please share how to changr the wipers as when I lift mine up they get caught on the bonnet and then when I try to take the blade off it will not turn enough before touching the screen

Wipers are normally easy but I struggled with this one and they are still not done !!!

I got caught out the same way but you can ease them up, unclip them, place the arm against the screen gently and them clip on the new blades.

hi

switch on engine

switch on wipers - when they get to the end of their sweep "12 o clock position" - quickly switch off engine

You should no be able to life the arm and remove the wiper

• Like 1

Actually If I suspect like me this issue was not getting them to park but rather the pantograph arm on driver's side hitting bonnet edge; it is because you are assuming that as with most wipers you have to turn the blades to right angles to the arms to remove and refit them. With these you don't. - just as well as there is no room without fouling bonnet edge as you say.

Simply lift off screen, press toggle on blade fitting and pull down off hook.

Apologies if this was not the problem.

Nick

• Like 1

Not certain on this one. If it is just the drivers side blade hitting the windscreen pillar you may be able to adjust the blade "reach" using the screws on the bottom of the arm which are there to ensure it is parallel. May help.

Anything more major may be that the mechanism is worn or just that the arms have been weongly re-attached to the splines if taken off for windscreen replacement.

Someone may know better.

Nick

Not certain on this one. If it is just the drivers side blade hitting the windscreen pillar you may be able to adjust the blade "reach" using the screws on the bottom of the arm which are there to ensure it is parallel. May help.

Anything more major may be that the mechanism is worn or just that the arms have been weongly re-attached to the splines if taken off for windscreen replacement.

Someone may know better.

Nick

The correct way of aligning the wipers is to raise the bonnet after you have undone the wiper arms at the drive nuts make sure the wiper drives are not moved while the wipers are removed from the parked position up against the stops at the bottom of the screen the reference point for correct alignment of both windscreen wipers as per the workshop manual and my own experiences. failure to adhere to this will result in the wiper slapping the drivers door pillar. It is not possible to set the wiper stroke accuratly if they are not set up off the parking stops.do not try to set them up in any other way.As for your play Adam that could be that you are not all the way down the spline on the drive wheel, the pantograph drive on the lexus ls400 is a direct connection to both wipers so any play in the motor drive will affect both wiper arms.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links