Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Rx300 2002 Cold Start Clutch Slipping

Hi,

I've had this car for around 4 years and no issues until the last couple of days.

When I start from cold the car takes a few seconds to fully engage the transmission, the revs will go up to 3500 then engage. As soon as it is warm I do not get any issue and everything works normally.

I have checked the auto transmission oil and all seems ok. I will take it to a local garage that does my servicing tomorrow.

Anyone have any other areas I should be looking at to diagnose the problem.

Thanks in advance

Andrew

Many years ago I had the same problem with my (then) Ford Granada automatic. I was informed that the problem was due to the rubber seals within the gearbox shrinking when cold but expanding when the transmission fluid warmed up slightly. Used to take around 2 minutes or so before being ready to drive off, more in the winter months.

I found an automatic transmission fluid additive advertised in a motor magazine (no web google in those days!) that would cure the problem. After adding the fluid the gearbox worked perfectly ever after.

I would be very wary about using such a treatment in the Lexus transmssion as the unit sees to be very picky about its food. There again, if it means a new transmssion unit is required, then why not? Could save a lot of expense.

Barrie

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your replies guys.

The car is a 2002 model.

The day before this started happening I almost ran out of fuel. I actually rolled into a garage on the last drop of fuel the car actually cut about 2 feet from the pump, I was coming from work and completely forgot to fuel my car.

I had a leaking pipe about a year ago and we replaced the transmission oil as well as the offending pipe but no issues up until last week.

If it's a serious problem then it'll give me an excuse to get a RX400H :) I've really enjoyed owning this car so will try to get the problem solved.

Will update you guys.

Cheers and merry xmas

• 1 month later...

Hi Andre2000,

Did you finally resolve the issue of cold start transmission

I have same issue with my RX300 04REG, its been going on for two years- I alway wait for the car to warm up otherwise it stops moving when I brake

Please let know how you finally resolve it

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi sorry for the delay in updating this thread however I had the issue resolved last week.

My mechanic non-Lexus, seemed to know what the issue was and told me to bring 5 litres Toyota Type T-IV ATF and a fuel filter. Strange thing was the dealer said there is no filter replacement part Just a (permanent metal one).

I left the car with him for 24 hours and when I picked it up it drove really well with no slipping whatsoever, from what I gather he cleaned the filter refilled a couple of times. I'm not 100% as I was not there.

Good thing is the car pulls exactly the same way as when I 1st purchased.

Andrew

He could not have refilled a couple of times with just 5 litres, more like he dropped the trans sump and cleaned the mesh filter and sump and then refilled with your 5 litres (or whatever needed, I cannot remember the specific amount for a sump drop).

I wonder why he wanted to change the fuel filter? Unless it was due for a change anyway?

My 300 started a slight "groan" occasionally on pullaway last week......checked the fluid and it needed a pint, topped it up and its running silently again now, local Toyota dealer was great as the ATF-T-IV fluid is a devil to find and they decanted a litre for me from thier bulk barrel on Saturday....still bloomin' expensive though at £13.68p a litre!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links