Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

When Is An "in Stock" Item Not In Stock?

steve2006

Decided we needed a new Christmas tree this year so looked on the Argos website.

Spotted a nice one half price and after entering my postcode was delighted to see they were showing as "In Stock" at my nearest and indeed all local stores.

However on going to reserve one it was then showing it would be available to collect in 3 days time!

Confused and annoyed I then telephone Argos customer support and was told they are actually in stock but at the central warehouse.

I then pointed out that by showing in stock at the store the product should be available to buy there and then and therefore the "In Stock" claim was misleading but they could not offer any explanation.

The advisor then proceeded to check for actually physical stock in other areas "Boston,Lincoln and Louth have them" so a mere 120 mile round trip would secure one.

This is what happens when you let blue coloured aliens run a an earth based business :)

Going up to the local Co-operative now as they do have some actually in stock at the shop.

Hi Steve

I had exactly the same issue with Argos (although not for a tree)

Bought an "in stock" tumble drier and chest freezer last month only to find after paying for them and having a delivery date for within two days time i took a phone call two days after from them to say it would be just over two weeks for delivery.

Sent a complaint to the MD of Argos and had a company "customer server" email me back with the offer of a £30 voucher which i turned down on the principal of it.

Its wrong what they do just to secure the custom - if they were upfront and said it would be two weeks delivery they i could have lived with it but organising ourselves around an expected delivery which never happened was just a bit of a farce.

I believe it happens a lot as well.

We were refunded and went elsewhere. Unfortunately they would not fit in my car when we bought them so we paid for delivery.

Sounds a familiar story, I have a "Corporate" card for Argos as often have to buy replacement items for customers.

I now find if I have 6 items to buy no single Argos store will have all of them in stock so you end up either finding an alternative item which is in stock or going to 2 maybe 3 shops to obtain what you want.

I think these days stores just don't carry stock any more and like Toyota get things "just in time" or in the case of Argos a little too late.

Ironically the TV ad aliens always seem to come back with what they wanted :)

There is a worse company, namely B+Q with these guys like Argos you can "reserve" an item then collect it the next day from your local store, unfortunately unlike argos the reservation is based on the fact that the stock level is not checked until close of business so even though you have reserved it it may not be available to buy if they have sold out the previous day.

I didn't find this out until I had travelled to the store to collect my "reservation" and discovered the above system, needless to say I left without my bargain Karcher pressure washer and haven't returned since.

My local B&Q hadn't got an item I wanted as they are not a large enough outlet and the website would not allow reserve & collect or online order.. The manager went to Nottingham to collect 1 but when I got it home it was damaged. He then had a colleague who was going to Derby pick 1 up. As the banding was a different colour to the normal Evolution banding, I opened it instore and found it was in perfect condition but had been used and returned (sawdust in box).....and been repacked and rebanded.

The item was on offer at about £100 instead of £150 and the manager offered a further discount to £80, which I accepted. The local manager went to a lot of trouble for me and in fact I also got some of the ancillary items from the damaged item too.

Maybe I am just lucky that the manager and staff at my local B&Q are so customer focused!

I wish the staff at my local B+Q were so customer focused.

A few weeks ago I went to buy a bucket. I thought I would get to the store as soon as it opened at 07:00 as I was in the area anyway. At 07:05 they opened the metal roller doors and at 07:09 they "unlocked" the automatic entrance doors. I know these times are accurate because I was sat in the car listening to the radio while I was waiting.

So at 07:10 I walk into the shop, past 3 young lads leaning on the Returns counter chatting amongst themselves, and go and find the buckets. It didn't take me long to find what I was after and make my way back to the till. I tried to pay via the self serve till but they hadn't been switched on yet so I made my way over to the 3 lads at the Returns counter to ask if I could pay there.

They said that would be fine but I would have to wait until they turned the till on.

It is now about 07:15 and I am waiting to pay and leave the shop. After a few more minutes the till was up and running so I paid, picked up my new bucket and headed for the exit. One of the lads then told me I would have to leave via the entrance as they hadn't "unlocked" the automatic exit doors yet!

It was 07:21 according to the clock when I got back in the car.

I was not happy with that shopping trip, however, the bucket was good.

Steve.

I think in cases like the above,a lot depends on what the senior management of a particular store are like-the old adage,that the rot starts at the top,unfortunately,is all too prevelant,even today,I've got an extremely short fuse,when it comes to customer service-or the lack of, I've had similar experiences,like the above ones mentioned, if I get shirt shrift, or f####d about In the likes of B&Q, or wherever,not only do I kick -off,( in a civil manner) at the store, but make a point of taking names ,and telling the staff,I'm getting on their Facebook site later,to complain also, what is galling,though,is in certain stores,when you state this,you often get this ' I couldn't give a #### look,-I remember years ago, if a customer complained about you,as a staff member,chances were,your feet wouldn't touch the ground,on your way out to the labour exchange,to look for another job,signed, one grumpy old man........

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links