Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

In Car Full Feature Computer Project

Brettster

Im thinking of changing my Audio system in my IS and replacing it all with a PC.

so far I have found this 1 Din PC System and with a 2 din facia plate I intend to put in a pop up touch screen VGA screen.

I think this could be something special if i can work it all out.

I can play anything on a pc.

upload new mp3's to it from my desktop pc via a wireless lan when the car is sat outside

play DVD's on it

could even go on the internet while sat outside wireless hotspots

use it for GPS, Divx Movies even burning CD's if i got the right drive.

anyone have any Idea's about the pop up VGA touch Screen? I draw a blank while looking on the search engines

and looking at the specs for the 1 din computer it seems very under powered for playing DVD's and maybe even MP3's.

also is there any decent GPS software that runs on a PC and has voice?

this is a very big project for me and im not made of airports so Im gonna try and do it on the cheap.

Maybe a fixed screen in place of the factory head unit and a small PC in the glove box would be cheaper

any help very much welcome :)

Go for it ! Shame you haven't got the satnav. It's the second part of my project with the RGB-Composite coverter for the SatNav.

If you can fit your own screen then have a look at any motherboard that is ITX. This is an all-in-one system made purposefully within certain size limits. (Multiple manufacturers do them - search for EPIA motherboards). You can pick up miniature cases with the small motherboards for about £130, then there's your hard disk and DVD for say another £100 if you wanted a large drive. All you need then is your screen and an input device.

You'll get the whole lot done for less than £500.

They have onboard graphics, audio, 10/100 Ethernet, USB and TV-Out support all in a 6.75" x 6.75" footprint! The small cases will fit nicely into the plastic moulding that fits into your spare tyre.

Have a look at http://www.mini-itx.com/ - you will be able to get everything from there apart from the screen. Search around as the standard is becoming wider, some places are doing some really good deals. The only advice is to make sure it will accept a standard 12v input. Most of the ITX cases do as they come with a 12v power supply but just make sure first.

If you have a standard Screen in place of the SatNav head unit, then there will be no problems as the ITX boards all give out a composite signal to them.

I'm planning on having the pc itself in the boot, with a mousepad that slides out from under the heater/TRC switches. Using an on-screen keyboard I will have full input. The touch scrrens are still megabucks, and I have the SatNav so I'm planning on using that.

I'm thinking along the same lines as yourself with wireless LAN, etc. You can even link the mobile into it if you're not near an access point. With a USB camera fitted can even have the reversing camera - and have one at the front and record your journeys even.

As you say, as it's a PC, the possibilities are endless.

TOMTOM do very good satnav programs (I started with theirs on my IPAQ - they are soon to release a PC version). Autoroute now supports most GPS units that plug into the serial port.

I remember seeing a fully featured in-car PC on eBay a few weeks ago, but didn't really give it a second thought! (Until now!). Only downside for me would be that I'd miss the radio!

Keep us updated and pics too once you complete it.

My pc will be in the boot and I'm trying to wire it to the exisiting headunit so I won't actually need to change anything in the dash itself. (Other than my touchpad).

I may need to create an additional input to the amp though.

has anyone thought of a way of having a camera fitted in the car, which links to a mobile phone so that you could check up on your car whilst not in sight of it

thought about it as i sat in a pub having parked in the car park, with a few youngsters hanging round outside

This is a great idea...

There is a lot you could do with it, e.g. fit a TV/radio PCI card.. and voila.. TV in your car...

However, if your planning on getting a touch-screen, your going to have to think about your O/S running on the PC.. Touchscreen's generally have a grid area for selections, so running a standard windows system probably wouldn't work...

I'd probably reccomend Windows CE.. its not too heavy, desgined for touch screens... and there are GPS nav programs out there for it...

has anyone thought of a way of having a camera fitted in the car, which links to a mobile phone so that you could check up on your car whilst not in sight of it

thought about it as i sat in a pub having parked in the car park, with a few youngsters hanging round outside

Don't Nokia do one? You just send it a text message, it takes a couple of snapshots and it sends the video pictures to another phone.

I remember reading something about it on the Nokia site.

However, if your planning on getting a touch-screen, your going to have to think about your O/S running on the PC.. Touchscreen's generally have a grid area for selections, so running a standard windows system probably wouldn't work...

Yeah - I agree. I've tried a few of the touch screen overlay chappies and I'm not impressed. I've only tried the megatouch types though.

The VDO Dayton MC5400 looks like it's got a socket for just about everything bar the tumble drier. Says it's got a web browser and plays MP3 from what I've read so far, only from cards. I was toying with the idea of getting one for home use instead of a PC and using it in the lounge through the telly.

the 7" touch screen i have seen works with any os as the screen plugs into the USB port and emulates the mouse

win xp has modes for touch screens too so all should be well if i can find a mobo powerfull enough to use XP :)

This guy has done pretty much what i want to do using a winxp and touch screen system

They are great boards aren't they? You can get the 1Ghz ones from http://www.cpc.co.uk

XP comes with a virtual keyboard too so you will have an on screen keyboard as well.

If we could get the program for the IS diagnostics, we can even monitor the system!

I've seen a few downloads for the gatso camera overlay if you have GPS so it gets even better.......

This is a great idea...

There is a lot you could do with it, e.g. fit a TV/radio PCI card.. and voila.. TV in your car...

I'd probably reccomend Windows CE.. its not too heavy, desgined for touch screens... and there are GPS nav programs out there for it...

The one I saw on eBay came with a specially designed on-screen GUI specifically for in-car use, so there was no start menu, it was pretty much configurable on-screen buttons.

great, I was going to change the standard lexus head unit for a clarion system with DVD Touch screen but I wanted to keep using a lexus navigator screen so if I get a clarion in one of the DIN's then use a second for a PC hook the PC to the Lexus Navigator screen can keep the GPS on that as well as internet etc, then have a Clarion system for music. Sounds like a plan to me now all I need is alot of money

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links