Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

To Run In Or Not To Run In!

Due to collect new IS300h Luxury on Monday. This will be my first Lexus, and my first hybrid, and would like to gauge the reaction of other members to the neccesity to run the car in for the first 1,500 miles or so. With previous new cars, virtually all VW / Audi turbo diesel company cars, have never really bothered (not my car / money so who cares!), but as this will be paid for with my own company's money, I will be a little more careful as far as not not knackering the mechanicals in order to save a bit of time in the first few weeks.

Thanks, and photos will follow.......

I don't have the manual to hand, but it says for the first 1000 kms (I think),

Avoid sudden stops (lol)

Avoid driving at a constant speed

Avoid excessive revs

I'm sure someone will chime in with the verbatim but basically drive sensibly for the first few hundred miles.

Enjoy!!!

As above in D-only & I further tried to avoid short journeys.

The result is the 2.5L.engine is smoother /more refined than my previous V8 & V6's & the economy in D & D-Sport is excellent.

Tel

I was always told 'running in' polished up bearing surfaces to prolong their life.

Polishing metal needs a light touch and a fair speed, so no allowing the car to labour

when climbing hills, change down to keep the engine running freely, light throttle at all times

until 'run in' say 1500 miles. Automatics will change down anyway.

Although modern engines and lubricants have made this less critical, for me it's still

good engineering practice, along with regular oil changes.

You don't see the signs in the back window anymore "Running in Please Pass"

I don't think modern engines need running in just use common sense driving, IIRC all engines are factory run before fitting in the car so should be fine.

They don't need running in - I've asked Lexus, Audi, VW, Nissan, Honda and BMW dealers when buying brand new cars since 2000 and all say the same: It is sensible to drive at no more than 2/3's of the rev and speed range for the first 1000 miles, and with an auto it's hard to labour the engine. So just drive it, but bear in mind there are some new things on the car like brakes and tyres that need bedding in.

Running in was when you had the head tightened/re-torqued after 1000 miles, oil change, valve clearances adjusted etc. No more!

And yes - they are Bench Run from what I recall....

Drat! Apparently I had forgot to provide a couple proofs of I so will not be picking car up until Wednesdays. However, popped into Lexus Bristol to drop them in, and managed an external view of car, sat in the rear compound, just awaiting final once over.post-49337-0-72330000-1392060672_thumb.p

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links