Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi

My brother who owns a garage has all these computer programs to find out what fault a car has and change stuff on the ecu etc, any I just said I might chip my car ls400, he said I'll do it for you, I said well how quicker can you make it go, he said I could 60-80 bhp if you want, so this Saturday I might get it done, it will be over 300bhp after he's done with it

It will be interesting to see the outcome - I read on another website that the ECU for the LS400 is totally buttoned up and can't be accessed but that doesn't mean its correct of course. Good luck with it.

I have heard the same,the only upgrade ECU is the MINES unit but these are like rocking horse **** give a mere 30BHP power increase apparently and only available for the 90-94 models.

These engines run very detuned, the standard crank can apparently handle 1000BHP without modification!

post-12144-0-48617300-1392758295_thumb.j

That would be interesting. Although for the type of car it is would it be necessary to hike the power by that much!?

actually on that thought I wouldn't mind having that much power, but if I was going that route I'd definately look at upgrading other aspects of the car like bigger brakes and better suspension etc.

I quite like the US idea of VIP'ing the car, never actually heard of the term until I was browsing the US forums and having googled it I saw some pretty spectacular looking ls400's. Maybe when I have too much money I might by a project car and soup it up.

Yeah I know I have to tell my insurance company, I had 2 audi s4's that I had chipped, my insurance company didn't charge me anything extra when told them, but I'm still thinking about doing the ls400, he's going to program the ecu by putting his computer onto it, he's not going to get the actual ecu out,

don't waste your money. 50-60bhp from just a remap on an N/A engine? unless this guy can remap the engine to extend its engines operating rpm to about 7000 - 7500 rpm, and increaser your compression ratio to about 11:0.1 to 11:5.1 then 50-60bhp from a remap might not be possible. he also needs to tune your valve timing as this is variable and not set at a specific or constant operating parameter. Lexus ECU's have been known to overwrite any remap codes written to them. only way to make that kind of power is to go boost(Turbo/Supercharger) the V8. would be nice to know how much he's charging and what and the exact remap he will be doing. i.e. will he be mapping to get your injectors to damp more fuel into the engine, will he be mapping to move the peak torque figure from the 3500rpm band to a higher rpm?

cus if he is able to map for your injectors to damp more fuel, then you will need more air coming into the engine to make it work for more power plus compression ratio needs to be raise as well to compress air/fuel mixture harder for a bigger explosion. if he is able to map the engine to move the peak torque figure to a higher rpm, he would need to also tune your valve timing operating parameter in order not to loose low end torque. go boost if you want more power form the V8 mate that engine in the LS is very very strong.

quote from the link below

"While on the internet, I also have found that the Lexus LS400 engine is a very strong V8. The LS400 engine (1UZFE) has been documented to produce over 2,700 horse power. That is with built internal with 50 psi of boost. Beside the Australian making monstrous power, Turbonetics also use similar motor to break the 200 mph mark in 1/4 mile. Meanwhile, a Japanese high performance company called HKS also use the similar motor to produce mega horse power in their drag car. However, beside being strong, the 1UZFE engine also demonstrated to be very durable. The average life span of the engine had been widely reported to hit at around 400k miles. Few instances the car had reached 600k miles. For insurance purposes, I know I have a good strong foundation to start."

http://www.lextreme.com/tt.html

He's doing it for free for me, it's my brother whos doing it, but knowing me I may just leave it and not do it, he owns his own garage, even though he drives a vr6 corrado himself , he always tells me the cars that come into his garage with problems are mostly German cars and French cars, he also said he gets a lot of fords and Vauxhalls aswell, he doesn't get many jap cars, but if he does it's only wear and tear items on jap cars

well am no mechanic or car guru Mark..just used to be in the car tuning/modding scene in my 20's but nothing heavy! a friend told me some time ago there are 3 ways to make power from an engine.

1. go for the larger size/displacement you can find.
  2. force more air/fuel into one.
  3. get one to rev higher.

and since you are not going for the option to bore out your cylinders further which then increases your engine size/displacement or going for the option to force more air into it using a turbo/supercharger, that leaves you with the 3rd option which is to get it to rev higher to about 7500rpm with an ECU remap if engine components strong enoguh to withstand that high rpm of course.

as an example, the 98 LS400 is down as making around 400NM (295 lbft) of torque at around 4000rpm and 280bhp at around 6000rpm. horse power is a by product of torque x rpm /5252.

without making any engine modifications if your brother is able to remap your ECU to move the 400NM (295 lbft) of torque from peaking at the factory 4000rpm to say 6000rpm and cause the engine to be able to generate that same torque figure between 6000 to 7500rpm. you will make between 337bhp to 421bhp. all based on the simple formula used to calculate bhp which is "torque(lb ft) x rpm /5252"

295 x 6000rpm /5252 = 337bhp

295 x 7500rpm /5252 = 421bhp

this is why Honda can make 240bhp from thier 2litre 4 cylinder S2000 engine without a turbo charger. all they did was get the engine to produce small tourqe at very high rpm 9000rpm to be exact. and if your brother can remap the ECU to move the torque figure up the rpm range relaibly, i will be happy for him to remap mine aswell as both 2JZ and 1UZ toyota engines are known to be very very strong. :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links