Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Normal, Eco Or Sport, Which Do You Prefer And Why?

PaulWhitt20

I usually use normal mode. Eco does not seem to affect the mpg; perhaps makes it worse and it turns off the air con also I have to press harder on the accelerator. With sport mode I find it can accelerate quicker than I expect and I end up going faster than I want. The red dials are cool but what is the point of a rev counter if you can't change gear?

So I am happy to potter round in normal mode. What about you?

• Like 1

Mostly normal but Sport where I want the immediacy it offers. But I also use ev where I can. For instance the last bit of my journey into work is speed restricted and level so I switch to ev and glide the last bit. I have had my ct for just over a month. I struggle with mpg as my commute hardly warns the car but on longer runs I can easily get over 55 and on a 20 mile journey recently set a new record for me of 62.6. Overall it's quite a challenge to change the habits of 35 years of conventional driving. The great thing is with all the settings there's one to suit most times

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

I use EV 98% of the time. The other 2% is spent in the sport mode in order to use the increased acceleration it can provide on demand. My wife uses sport mode most of the time since she says that she saves a lot of fuel by not pressing the pedal so far down. I averaged 62 mpg over 10000 miles and she averaged 51mpg over 10000 miles. (Our usage pattern is totally different, I travel on a slow major road with very little prospect of exceeding 40mph due to very limited overtaking opportunities and a lot of heavy lorries, the wife travels at higher speeds on dual carriageways and motorways.)

I use eco most of the time switching to sport at junctions our when I'm having a play. I haven't had the car long enough to decide if eco or normal make much difference but in eco in the town it encourages economical driving. Re Sport mode, Paul in the 2014 you can set the tacho on or off in the setting albeit I left it as is for the time being.

EV seems a tad pointless as it kicks off to easily and you have to press the button again whereas it's easy enough to keep the EV light on in eco at slow speeds. I still use it as I wonder if it's just me!

I find that ECO mode just blunts performance too much and I am not convinced of its benefits over NORMAL mode over a long motorway journey. SPORT is fun as the car is a lot more responsive. However, if you press the pedal hard in NORMAL mode, do you not get the same response as you would in SPORT?

As for the EV button, I am not sure I understand the point of it. The car will switch automatically to electric only at low speed, providing the Battery is charged up etc. On the other hand, you cannot force the car into electric only mode if it feels it is not ready for it.

You can force the car into EV mode, I do it whenever I move the car from the drive to the garage or vice versa. I start the car in the normal way and within 5 seconds of having pressed the 'start' button, press the EV button which allows the car to be moved whatever the weather for short distances. Obviously if the Battery has been drained completely from the last journey it wont stay in EV mode for long.

Sport mode increases the voltage to the electric motor by 50% and also tightens up the steering. I flick it into Sport mode for faster overtaking but generally keep it in Normal. If the Battery is charged enough then I really notice the increase in power for accelerating.

I find that the biggest factor affecting my consumption is not which mode I use but the outside temperature. In the recent warm weather my consumption for the same journeys has gone up from around 50mpg to 59mpg and I can only put that down to the engine not needing to run to keep the car warm.

Well I've just driven to Spain and back for the umpteenth time and all I can say is I am more than a tad disappointed with the fuel average. This time it was around the 45 mpg.

The performance (even in sport mode at higher speed) very poor. Looking at comments I think most are of the same opinion that the various modes are just a gimmick.

Taking into account: the ride, the no tow bar option,

No spare wheel although I have added one.

So I have decided to get rid.

I'm sure I won't have any regrets.

Sorry to hear you are fed up with the CT. I think for long distance economy a diesel is better especially at higher speeds. The CT is more at home pottering round the town.

• Like 1

I think it is true with all hybrids. They come into their own in town and on A/B roads, but for motorway driving where you rely more on the petrol engine you are better off with a diesel.

Well I've just driven to Spain and back for the umpteenth time and all I can say is I am more than a tad disappointed with the fuel average. This time it was around the 45 mpg.

The performance (even in sport mode at higher speed) very poor. Looking at comments I think most are of the same opinion that the various modes are just a gimmick.

Taking into account: the ride, the no tow bar option,

No spare wheel although I have added one.

So I have decided to get rid.

I'm sure I won't have any regrets.

I'm a little alarmed at this statement. If I look at buying a replacement vehicle, I always try to have an idea of what type of driving I will be undertaking. In this instance, driving to/from Spain plus motorway use does not hit me as being a Hybrid choice. As previously mentioned, a Diesel would have been more beneficial, especially, where Diesels are king in Europe.

When I looked at replacing my 9 year-old Yaris ( not that I really wanted to but had some cash burning a hole in my pocket ), I knew most of my mileage would be urban, A roads & odd trips around UK. The CT serves my purpose. I regularly achieve 58 - 62mpg from mine.

What I'm saying is - understand your requirements BEFORE you look at the type of vehicle you purchase. For me, the CT is an ideal car for my needs.

I always use NORMAL mode unless I'm in slow moving traffic, in which case I switch to ECO. EV mode is pointless for me as the system switches to EV when it needs to.

SPORT mode I've used a few times but only for overtaking on single lanes or out do the odd Chav at lights.

ECO mode softens the accelerator response and therefore increase your mpg.

Adam..consider myself told off.

I initially bought the ct for the mpg advertised by the brochures plus the 'sexy' styling of the exterior and quality etc of the interior.

I do two/three trips to Spain annually each round trip about 2000 miles including running around while there.

My around town at home would probably work out about 3000/4000 miles.

Taking this into account I thought it would be a good all-rounder?

But very disappointed with the mpg, acceleration noise and hard ride.

I have been looking at other motors but none have come close to the styling of the ct so I'm still in Limbo at the moment.

Have you got in the 2014 model yet. Completely different driving experience to the original. 16 inch wheels cuts the road noise & additional modifications make it a pleasure to drive.

Absolutely encore to that - I have a 2014 premier on 16's - very comfy - mostly 2 mile each way daily commutes with occasional motorway runs of 15 - 20 miles. Last two tanks averaged 49.8 brim to brim. Best according to display 61.7 on a 20 mile mixed run. About to do carcassonne and back which will be the real tester.

• Like 1

Sorry, it wasn't meant to come across as being aggressive.

The 11 model year I have does have a harsh ride and do agree with on that score. If 14 model year has corrected this, then I may have to look at one next year.

It is a great car other than mpg for some plus minor design flaws which are almost unnoticeable after owning for a couple of months.

Adam..consider myself told off.

I initially bought the ct for the mpg advertised by the brochures plus the 'sexy' styling of the exterior and quality etc of the interior.

I do two/three trips to Spain annually each round trip about 2000 miles including running around while there.

My around town at home would probably work out about 3000/4000 miles.

Taking this into account I thought it would be a good all-rounder?

But very disappointed with the mpg, acceleration noise and hard ride.

I have been looking at other motors but none have come close to the styling of the ct so I'm still in Limbo at the moment.

• Like 1

Absolutely encore to that - I have a 2014 premier on 16's - very comfy - mostly 2 mile each way daily commutes with occasional motorway runs of 15 - 20 miles. Last two tanks averaged 49.8 brim to brim. Best according to display 61.7 on a 20 mile mixed run. About to do carcassonne and back which will be the real tester.

Sent from my iPhone using Lexus OC

Stop saying how good the 2014 model is, we'll all want one!

Just wondering if improvement in ride harshness on 14my cars is down to suspension tuning and/or tyre size changes?

I have 205/55/16 on mine at the moment & was thinking if moving to 195/60/16 would help ride? As profile would increase, this may help a little.

I had a look at 14my a few weeks ago & see they have padded console armrest area. Other than that ( I didn't drive it ), couldn't see much of a change. There was an additional USB ( now x2 ).

I bought a power unit which gives me x2 USB charging ports along with x2 power sockets. Also designed to fit into cup holder receptacle in console. Does the job.

Lexus say not only the suspension tuning but it's the additional spot welds to stiffen the chassis that has allowed them to ease the suspension.

16's will ease ride over 17's but whether a different 16 will make much difference? I guess the lexus engineers may have considered it and gave us what they think is preferable. A lot of changes on 14 are subtle but you can't miss the new grill, the rear has changed, there is now tyre pressure monitoring, a spare wheel, changes to lights, the power take up has been reprogrammed, shark fin aerial, the nav doesn't fold any more and there's a little colour screen in the dash plus more.

• 2 months later...

If it's any help - I took delivery of a new Premier in May on 16" wheels. I have recently started doing a lot of business miles, from Leicester to Newcastle and back on the A46 and them A1 so mostly 2 lane dual carriageway. I am using normal mode all the time, doing 70mph where possible (mostly averaging 55mph overall) and am now returning about 60mpg. The car has now done 3000 miles. I have had diesel estates for the last 15 years and although the Lexus performance is not as good, I find it acceptable and the refinement is much better, the lack of NVH is remarkable.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links