Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sunday Times Driving - Clarkson's Review Of Ct200

KDS

Others will no doubt also have read of the hatchet job that was the review published in last Sunday's Times Driving supplement. If the recent press hasn't convinced you that JC has lost the plot then this review should confirm it beyond doubt.

I should like to know what alternative exists to the CT where

1. You want a car that delivers exceptional mpg and

2. It costs nothing to tax and

3. You don't want diesel because of emissions and because if used mostly around town you'll be blocking the DPF as fast as all the lanes on the M25 between J5 and 6 and

4. You dont want German - because you don't want a brain transplant which seems to happen to all Audi and BMW drivers the moment they acquire them. A transplant that reduces the consideration synapses and ups the arrogance ones and

5. You want mega comfort and

6. You want a hatchback

To my mind the CT delivers in spades - mind you as you have all made the same choice you are the converted. What journalist will have the hutspah to raise their head above the trenches and declare JC just plain wrong.

• Like 1

I have never bought that publication and see no reason to start doing so. Clarkson is a journalist. It is the job of journalists to try to write about things which people will pay money to read.

Being a motoring journalist requires no particular skill in motoring affairs just some skill in judging what the public want to read. I am guessing that the average BMW and Audi drivers along with people who can afford to drive hopelessly exotic machinery at impractically low speeds had a rather enjoyable read about the sort of cars which we "Mr Averages" can afford to run.

I believe that JC once bought a ford GT40.... so what's that like in a speed camera'd city complete with roadworks and traffic jams? I would be more worried that the 1/4 tank full of fuel was going to last me for the 20 miles in two hours that I had to cover... as it is I have a CT200 and traffic jams don't present that sort of worry any more. Ferraris are nice cars but not very interesting to someone would can find no use for them. I suspect that CT200s are of no interest to JC for much the same reason.

Well we all know J.C.'s definition.

Must do. 1) 0-60 less than 5 secs. 2) 170 MPH Plus. 3) Sound like & give out as much gunk as a jet engine on reheat. 4) Be in the highest tax & insurance cost bracket. 5) Have a disused airfield to play on so can thrash said cars to achieve 10 miles to the Gallon.

Mr "Averages" definition.

Lucky if you can 1) Achieve 0-60 in 60secs 2) Do 75 MPH if you know where the pot holes & speed cameras are. 3) Close the windows quick enough to keep out traffic roar & exhaust stink. 4) Be in the Lowest tax & insurance cost bracket. 5) Having British roads to drive on trying to achieve 50 miles to the Gallon.

So Mr J.C. that is why we Mr Average who have to work for a living drive the Lexus CT200.

Fsport in the pictures. Lexus really shouldnt put them out to the press as the ride is a lot firmer compared with the rest. As for Clarksons review comments...I expected nothing less.

I drove the new CT200h F Sport as a courtesy car from Lexus last time my car went in. After seeing the negative reviews I was curious to see how it drove and to be honest I couldn't see what all the fuss was about. I actually really liked driving it. Yes the ride was firmer than my IS (it was an F Sport) but I enjoyed trying to keep it in EV mode and thought it was a lovely smooth driving experience and a solidly put together car. It's also a great looking car especially in white! Who cares what Clarkson thinks about it!

post-50044-0-86546400-1399755672_thumb.j

Do we really want Clarkson to say it is Brilliant? Then every boy racer would buy one and it would reduce the exclusivity and devalue the brand.

Besides I never saw the point of the F Sport (if you have one and love it tell us why)

They give the F sport to the press to review who think it is a hot hatch and thrash it. Then complain about the mpg and engine noise, plus the harsh ride.

They should give out the premier and tell them it is a luxury car built for economy and quality.

I have not read JC's review, but I for one love the CT. I always look forward to driving one as a courtesy car and plan to get one when my second car needs replacing. I love the re-designed front end... has the inside changed at all?

I agree that in some perverse way we should be grateful for Clarkson's review: it ensures the CT remains a secret gem. One of its good points is that it is still a relatively rare sight and as a result continues to attract looks from other drivers.

I'm not sure the inside has changed much. The nav controller has changed dependent on the model. My 2014 premier still has the mouse but now you press it rather than operate side buttons. Other models have a knob. Some of the dash now has accents under buttons and there's now a tire pressure monitoring included. I went for the cream leather which is a little less extensive than before - limited to seats and door cards - the areas likely to get scuffed remain black - seat backs for instance. On an ultra blue it really looks grand. The grey leather option that I might have gone for is dropped in 2014. I have just passed 1000 miles with this new car and enjoying very much though striggling to get very good mieages. Most of my journeys are short though my best on a long run was 62.7. Just wished the seagulls would stop bombing it!.

Thanks for this.

Re the tyre monitors, I think I have read somewhere that these have become a legal requirement on all new models.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 months later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links