Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buy Advice Please For A Potential Lexus Owner :)

it does matter as it will start consuming a bit of oil. The first car is worth max 7200 if it has proper service history/HPI etc

and regarding black, its a pain.

search for SE-L, which has all the goodies.

Sorry what do you mean by start consuming oil?? How much would it consume and is that a bad thing?? Is it a sign of a major problem??

all cars will use up a little oil (some worse than others), the only thing you can do to minimise is buy a car that has been treated well with regular oil changes, with good quality oil at that.

• 4 weeks later...

The grey one - is priced better than the silver one. The silver one is a forecourt price.

60k is a major service so make sure with them both that its been done - better to have had it done by a dealer I think. Spark plugs is a main change at this interval.

The silver one states it has a sunroof - I don't think it does looking at the pictures. They are both the same spec. Personally I like both colours but If I had to pick it would be the grey one.

If you can, put an OBD scanner on them to check for any stored errors but the garage may have reset any they would have had.

Hi thanks for the info. Im also leaning more towards the Grey one lol.

With regards to service il make sure i check if its done but if not could you tell me how much the cost would be for a 60k service by dealer? I could use this to lower the price if not done.

Also what scanning tool is best for Lexus??

The silver one is nice and probs easier to get as i can p/x my Bmw for that but iv only just put my bmw on autotrader so fingers crossed it gets sold quick :)

I got my car done by a local garage, just throw all the bits and him and let him do the work, no point taking that car to lexus.

plugs can be got from the USA, all the oils, filter plugs etc its about 4/5hours labour tops.

superb car, I had a 2.4 accord before this and very pleased with the way things have went.

Ok so i should purchase all the parts and let a local mechanic carry out the work right?

Also what scanner is best to pick up all possible error codes stored on the car?

You can get a standard OBD II one, hook up your phone to it with BT, do a diag scan. However I am pretty sure this wont pick up all the faults. I would not be too OCD about getting it scanned. If it got all stamps and drives good.

If you do want it scanned you could take to a good auto garage, they will have proper diag tools and wont charge lexus prices, The cheap ones will not scan all the electronics on the car.

And yes, buy the parts and take to a garage, its what i do and what most sensible people should do.

I have a friend who is a mechanic and he has a snap on tool.

We use that on my BMW and also some other BMW special software such as inap.

Would the snap on tool pick all possible codes up?

eBay ones WONT pick up all codes, so basically a waste of money to check for initial faults buying a car

Proper snap on diagnostic tools cost probably 1k or so, get a garage to do this, unless you want me to put this in writing to you :p

From eBay I have bought a Bluetooth unit and I have kept it plugged into the car and monitored it for a week - I have got an issue with a sensor that needs to be replaced and this is a nice bit of kit - highly customiseable with the info it shows. I have it linked to a tablet and the info it shows is brilliant - error codes / coolant temp / Hp / speed / torque etc The tablets set up in the car for the time being as I get the correct info set up on it.

Do a search for this on eBay .... Torque ELM 327 Bluetooth BT OBD2 car diagnostic scanner ... cost £10 and then download the Torque app(£2) to your phone / laptop or tablet (don't think it will work with apple tho) It does actually run through a good few tests as you will see - any stored codes will be brought up. Its just piece of mind really and the kit will be useful in the future. Its not like the normal reader where it will show a code only - it will bring up the code, then link it to the web and give you a description of the fault etc...

Things to look out for are seized calipers / exhaust on its way out / uneven tyre wear / coolant level / cigarette lighter working for phone charger etc / wheel locking nut key is present / check all windows work - if some don't then its an indication that the ecu has been reset. - ask the owner why it was serviced at an indie garage for the last one and get a list of the work done.

The sensors I have ordered are due to be delivered tomorrow and I was planning to put a post up on how to change them this week and the OBD scan results will be described also as a before and after as this scanner reports on sensor efficiency also.

As for the service - I have done all my own - its not hard to do if you have the time and the space to do it in. The only time consuming job is the spark plug change with a cost for the parts at approx £100 (I need to do mine). A dealer 60k service will cost you around £600.

With a car with this mileage on it does the service history matter really that much if you partex's it in the future the garage will be wary of any car with a high mileage - I think knowing its done is more of a benefit for the current owner rather than anyone else at this mileage. Depends at how long you want to keep the car.

I got an ELM reader, It did not pick up all codes on a k24 Honda, I am pretty certain it wont pick up all the codes on a lexus is250. In any event there is no need to be too OCD, just take it for a drive and use common sense. If everything stacks up take it to a garage for a once over.

If you have absolutely no knowledge on cars take it to a garage for an inspection in the first case.

I agree ... It is being a bit OCD but to be honest mines running fine with a dead sensor - the only indication there is something wrong is sooty exhaust tips otherwise there's no indication there's an issue at all. I have reset the ECU to see if the Bank 1 Sensor 2 was becoming an issue (luckily its not) but the lights are out on the dash and the code is still registering. Ignoring it not knowing it had gone would destroy the cat and I would hate to think what that would cost on this.

I have been told it will be fine on one cat but have no evidence of anyone having experienced this.

Its an issue to argue, price wise, if there is a fault found and you want the car.

Thanks for all the information.

I will make a list of everything before going to view either cars. In the mean time iv been doing some research and found that the 60k service can cost approx £600. Is this about right or would it be more?

Thanks for all the information.

I will make a list of everything before going to view either cars. In the mean time iv been doing some research and found that the 60k service can cost approx £600. Is this about right or would it be more?

Yes if you don t haggle the price down with Lexus to around £400 which is a little more realistic.

Just tell them it's too dear when you can get the same service else where for £300. They quickly drop the price.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links