Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Borla Exhaust

Hello all, it's been a while...

Made some enquiries and got a pretty good price on a Borla exhaust from the US. Hopefully should be receiving it within the next week or so, so looking forward to that.

Borla do a couple of options, one which is axle back, which basically changes the rear boxes only, the other is a full system, which removes the secondary cats and is a dual system. I've gone for the latter

I'll keep you posted...

Cheers

Neil

Ordered from Vivid Racing, about $1365 inc shipping. Landed, including duty and vat, should be a little over a grand.

I believe they sell the Meisterschaft systems also.

Thats where i saw the Meisterschaft for sale, thats a cheap price for the Borla if its includes all the fees etc.

Put up some sound clips once its on.. :)

Look forward to hearing it and others will be interested in full price including import duty and fitting. Always nice for folks to have options.

You will be the first to have no secondary cats come mot time as well so be interested to see how that goes as removing them definitely makes the exhaust gasses flow more freely.

Stu

Also one American based company was looking to charge 800 dollars shipping excluding import duty so you have played a blinder there.

£800 dollars???????

Did it get it's own plane?

Also one American based company was looking to charge 800 dollars shipping excluding import duty so you have played a blinder there.

£800 dollars???????

Did it get it's own plane?

I know... Madness, that was for a joe z one.

Yeah, only one place that sells the JoeZ exhaust, and they seem to think $840 is okay for shipping. I also got a quote from them, and the exhaust is already expensive enough as it is for $1600, plus the carriage and duty... barmey!

The Borla, with all taxes should be about £1050, all in.

Hey Neil,

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal there. :)

Be good to see how you get on with it mate. Bet you can't wait for it to arrive! ;)

I'm pretty sure we will pass the MOT without the secondary CAT's, only issue being there was rumour that the MOT would change to mandate vehicles had the same number of CAT's they were sold with? If so, that could be the only issue.

Will be good to hear how you get on though chap. :)

Cheers.

Peter

Cheers Peter,

Yep, very much looking forward to it... though I'd probably have liked something slightly louder, but as standard it already wakes my wife up in the morning, so probably best I don't go too loud.

In about 8-10 months time, I think I'll make some custom back boxes, with electronic valves, so I can have quiet (relatively) and then also switch to some straight pipes when I want to have some fun B) The main reason I went for the Borla is for the dual system and its siamesed 'crossover', which is very similar to the JoeZ.

Has anybody had heard the Lexus CCS-R race car? It sounds unbelievable (linky below; best listened to with earphones). It apparently has a standard engine, with a race exhaust, but I've never heard a privately owned ISF like it.

(skip to about 50 seconds)

I'm not overly worried about the MOT, as I cannot see how they'll know the quantity of cats per car. Maybe something they start logging for cars yet to be produced. But anyway, so long as it meets the emissions I'll be fine.

Neil

That exhaust sounds nuts! ;)

I think that would be too much for a daily driver though. You'd get a lot of drown in the cabin I reckon.

Nice for a track or drift toy, but a bit OTT for regular road use.

Will be good to see how the Borla sounds in comparison to the H&S system.

I'm not overly worried about the MOT, as I cannot see how they'll know the quantity of cats per car. Maybe something they start logging for cars yet to be produced. But anyway, so long as it meets the emissions I'll be fine.

Neil

I've just fitted a custom exhaust to my GS430, and chopped out the third cat to do it. MOT and emissions were fine with it.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

If anyone goes the H&S and removes the second cats a valve will be needed IMO as it will be very loud. Be interesting to hear aH&S system with them removed.

If it isnt too loud and passes MOT I may take mine back to have it done.

Lead the way on this one Pete ;)

• Like 1

My exhaust is as loud as that and it does drone in the cabin. Passes the MOT no problem. They do note exhaust loud. Initially seriously considered changing it to stock. Lexus wanted £1500 for stock exhaust! Over a year later I'm glad I didn't. Believe me it is very loud. Gets a lot of attention ... Sometimes unwanted! But when I use the paddles, the downshifts and popping sound so good. Unfortunately before I get asked, I haven't a clue who it's made by. All I know is its a custom made one for the last owner. Asked lexus to contact last owner several times but nowt yet. Luckily for me my neighbours love the car. Just as well as I can leave for work at 3 in the morning

If anyone goes the H&S and removes the second cats a valve will be needed IMO as it will be very loud. Be interesting to hear aH&S system with them removed.

If it isnt too loud and passes MOT I may take mine back to have it done.

Lead the way on this one Pete ;)

Hoping I'll be the one to do so Stu ;)

Exhaust is next on my list for sure.

Only thing being if I fit a set of the PPE headers, doesn't that remove the prec-cat's from the stock setup? I know they offer you sports cats as a possible extra, but I'm guessing I'd rather go with no restrictions, until as late in the combustion cycle as possible?

In which case I'd need the secondary cats to stay where they are?

Just a thought. :)

Didn't realise that but makes sense. You certainly won't pass an mot with both sets removed. Id be tempted to get high flow sport cats in the front and remove the rears. H&s would have a good idea re sound increase now they have done two with my system. Be interesting to hear what they say.

Stu

Well gents, after a ***** up on my behalf, using my old address at my mum's, from my Paypal about 12 years ago, UPS attempted delivery on Friday. As I wasn't expecting it to go there, nobody was in. Anyway, it appeared today which is quite quick, considering it was despatched last Tuesday.
Also my mother had to pay for the duty, when signing for it but wouldn't accept me giving it her back. We compromised on me buying my daughter some toys (she will be happy) :D

I've taken a few pics of the system and how it was delivered. I'm very impressed with the packaging (and the free cap). As for the system, I'm very impressed with that also, a fair bit of effort has been gone into deburring all the welds and cut sections (though I will be getting the file out once more).

Now I've just got to figure out whether it's worth me crawling underneath the car or pay what I've saved on getting a friendly garage to do it. Video clips without the back boxes on will also be done ;)

Neil

p.s. please excuse my very messy garage.

post-47806-0-73809900-1402339739_thumb.j

post-47806-0-44070400-1402339750_thumb.j

Doh! Looking good. Be interesting to hear it as it sounds a bit quiet for me in the clips I have seen.

I guess if not bolts are seized you could do it?

Stu

Agreed, from the clips alone I think I'd prefer something a little louder, but I will find out soon enough. Like I say, if it isn't as I'd like, I'll make some custom rear boxes to my preference. I mostly wanted the Borla for the front part of the system, as I think it's a good design. The back boxes are easily changed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello gents...

Well, I had a go at fitting it last weekend, getting the rear section off without too much fuss. The front section required 4x bolts and two oxygen sensors removing (special tool required for this). Three of the four bolts I was able to loosen off, the fourth however was too awkward to get at with the car jacked up (it's not the easiest thing to get on stands). I had to concede the loss (and vow that I will never work underneath a car again) and arrange to take it to the local exhaust fitters as my favoured mechanic was unable to have a look until next week.

Driving there without back boxes attached was interesting; boomy but not raspy.

Anyway, an hour later and nervous about my baby, she was brought back round to the car park, the driver giving it a blip of the throttle for the hell of it. It sounded much better.

How does it sound? Cruising along it's mildly louder than stock, but not drastically, however I've not been on the motorway yet to confirm this. On medium throttle there's a substantial increase in exhaust noise; a very nice tone, deep and gurgly. It's hard to tell you what it's like on full throttle, I've only had the opportunity to put my foot down in 1st and 2nd, but I'm happy with it so far. In built up area, like through a town centre, it sounds fantastic, much more like a muscle car.

I've made a small vid of it starting up and a few revs. Apologies but there's a smidgen of distortion. Also, since uploading to Youtube, the sound quality has dropped massively, compared to the original on my computer. It doesn't sound anywhere near as good as it should. Anybody know of a better site to upload to, that doesn't compress the file so much?

• Like 1

Thanks Stu. I've concluded that all the other videos on Youtube, of the Borla, do not do it justice.

I had a bit more of a drive last night and I love it. Only thing is, on full throttle you can't really hear it that much as the induction is making so much noise (nice noise that is).

It's an R32, my track toy I've been building for about 7 years.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links