Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Botched Cabin Filter Install

oops,

So in a rush to install this after work i never put on the re-circulate mode,. :(

I forced up the filter cover and now notice it is hanging lose, floppy.

The A/C still seems to work with the new filter installed, is this a bit problem, or how the heck can i even fix it.

on a side note the car is running superb after the fluid changes.

cheers

How exactly have you done this ... below are the basic steps

You need to switch to re-circulate after pressing the start button twice. Then turn car off.

Take the small glove box shelf out.

Remove the panel at the back of the glove box.

Remove the filter by pushing the tabs up and lift out - remember to check what way it came out.

Installation is the same but in reverse

If your not in the re-circulation mode then I am pretty sure there is a flap that comes up which will not allow you to take the filter out.

If you have forced the flap up while it is in "fresh" mode, you may well have broken the damper control mechanism which selects recirc/fresh.

This is not repairable (well, it is - but the mechanism can only be replaced as part of the vent assembly - £2000 + VAT for the part).

Possibly, if you can find what has been broken, you might be able to repair the broken plastic piece, but it is very thin, and in general gluing plastic doesn't work well. Although, some people have managed to bodge it with a piece cut out of an ice lolly stick.

there is a guy here who had the same issue

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-third-generation/650012-fixed-my-denso-acctuator-for-the-recirculation-and-pics-taken.html

it looks like i need to get into the panel/filter flap area.

Do i remove 2 screws either side of the glove box and 2 larger screws bolted to the chassis to get into this? what about the air bag light?

sorry for the N0b questions and stupid mistake.!

If the motor arm(s) are broken they should fall onto the carpet i can try an epoxy resin or similar, I have industrial strength loctite glue which might do (£25 stuff)

I watched it on u tube 10 times before I done mine wanted to make sure I didnt break flap it was quite easy when u press recirculation flap lifts up itself ,press clips @ filter pops out

there is an excellent guide here

http://my.is/forums/f127/is250-air-recirculation-servo-414274/

cant believe i made this mistake on my new motor but i need to get at this saturday morning, i live in an apartment complex and working on cars is a pain. but a man gotta do what a man gotta do.

Yep thats what you need..that must be bloody vexing.

As you say you gotta do what you gotta do.

Always do a bit of research before you start tinkering....it can save a lot of hassle.

You will find a hatfull of answers here and on the US sites too.

I found the US site excellenet for a demo of how to get the foglight bulbs out. They are a right pain too.....even when you know how.

well i am some mope,

so the plastic bit fell onto the carpet when i took away the under side plastic bit, this is the damage.

what is the best method to drill a screw type thing right into the compartment, and through the broken piece (hinge, bottom pic) to keep them all intact (and not move), i need a washer nut, the compartment and plastic part need to move together.

this is driven by the motor, which i can see working.

before i make more of a mess, any ideas how i can approach this?

this is the broken plastic piece, it should be attached to this white small area (that opens and closes the compartment)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hqwqo6eeq80bm2v/20140611_192457.jpg

this is taken from inside the compartment, i need to drill through this it leads to the other side which is the plastic piece that is broken, (this in turn is hooked onto the servo motor). So, it needs to be drilled right through and a screw, nut and bolt job needs to be used to attach the broken part.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9wip8ghwsmi1r6x/20140611_192429.jpg

this is from outside the compartment, the broken small white spot is what needs to be drilled through, the plastic hinge is attached to this and onto the servo motor which is the black thing

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6g5o66jtk2ltxmo/20140611_192305.jpg

this is the broken hinge

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ocjc1cwb39p0ma9/20140611_192236.jpg

so guys, dont be an eejit like me and put your A/C in recirculate BEFORE you change the cabin filter.!

i dont need a motor, the way it works is you have the compartment that houses the filter, this goes up and down... buy a motor

the hinge on this compartment is attached to the motor, this is what is broken.

i need to drill right through the compartment and screw into this and into the hinge that is broken and attach it to the motor.

the difficulty is getting it all in one soild piece, the screw needs to not move.

its a pain but the motor works, its the hinge on the compartment that is bust.

hurrrrrrr

To save the hassle of the fix and taking a chance the fix will or wont do the job for the years you have the car why not look in a scrap dealer for the part - you already know how it goes together so would this be a good move to have a look first before getting into the guts of things?

yea but getting off that cabin, filter housing is a herculean effort..!

no thanks!!, i am going to a machanic tomororw, i will get that hinge bolted on, will be back with update.!

but its an absolute stupid mistake to make......

I wouldn't worry about it mate ,it's only not going to re circ air inside the car , why would you want to recirc the same air . Mine is the same as yours , someone must have broken it before me . I don't notice any difference , I get aircon the same and fresh air so not bothered .

I am in the process of getting this fixed, its a total pain in the *****

You really need this working, not fixing it is not an option.

The guy in the post said a #8 screw, i got one and realised its way too big, i need a smaller one, 2" length is right.

I need a nut and bolt 2" long with sprung washers both ends, will get back on this tomorrow

hmmm

it switches air from outside to inside, of course it makes a difference, driving behind trucks or past s*** on the road.

if it did not make a difference then lexus would not have motorised vents on the cabin filter and centre vents.?!

but there should have been a warning note on the cabin door, ridiculous.

hmmm

it switches air from outside to inside, of course it makes a difference, driving behind trucks or past s*** on the road.

if it did not make a difference then lexus would not have motorised vents on the cabin filter and centre vents.?!

but there should have been a warning note on the cabin door, ridiculous.

Well to be honest pal I never use recirc inside air ever .i prefer the window open and aircon off most of the time .fresh air coming into the cabin is filtered anyway .

Happy fixing

• 3 weeks later...

the recirculate stops filthy air from the outside getting in, and there's lots of filthy air outside these days.

I have fixed this up eventually, it was a tricky job but bottom like is put the a/c on recirculate mode.

Lexus really should have a sticker on this flat, the amount of people with broken servo motors because of this.

I always have a/c on, and frequently switch from outside to inside, how anyone can say its not useful stumps me.

It is needed also to stop windows getting fogged, in short the car would be a right pain without that simple motor doing its job.

• 1 year later...

I know this was a while ago but how did you gain access to this as mine is also broken

tried looking at some old pics from the other site but are no longer available

Regards

Matt

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links