Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just enjoyed the first few days of my first holiday in the 400. I travel to South West Wales from Yorkshire once or twice a year. This trip actually took longer than usual, as we stopped at Aberfan Cemetery to pay our respects, something I've been meaning to do for years as I was the same age as those children who lost their lives and remember it happening clearly at the age of 11. One girl victim actually shared my birth date and it was quite moving. Not a jolly start to a holiday but something I felt I should do.

After arriving at my family's place in Wales after six hours I have never before felt so relaxed after that trip (and I have had some good cars). . I was not as tired as usual and could quite easily have made the return trip the same day. The car is so comfortable, quiet and responsive I can only think that it is noise, vibration and lack of refinement that cause tiredness.

Now driving around Pembrokeshire, the aircon working well in the 22 degree heat, this is exactly what the 400 is all about and why I bought it. I do not dread going out and driving after the long trip down, the narrow lanes are not a problem, as I just take my time. I have been up some very steep hills and put my foot down just to see how the car would respond. It is as if there is no hill, the power is phenomenal. The dog is happy, because the cold air routed to the back seats seem to be more effective than previous cars I have had. All very relaxing and not the usual experience in modern traffic.

This car really is something else. The attention to detail is incredible and falls down in only one area. Given the obsessive attention given the car during development, it is surprising that this was overlooked. It is not a major issue, but the outside door handles get hot in the sun. My daughter complains, but it is not really a big deal, if a bit surprising it was not picked up during the development stage. My wife did not want to bring the lexus. She distrusts it because it is fifteen years old. I think she is now glad that I did not bring the Octavia.

• Like 2

Hugh, I share your sentiments,--- I remember the Aberfan disaster too as a kid. Terrible. On a lighter note-- I'm in complete agreement regarding how comfortable the car is, even when driving over very long distances. I've never felt so relaxed in any other car, even after driving hundreds of miles. These cars were designed for this. Can't say that the door handles have ever bothered me though. I don't think there is any feature of the car that I don't like apart from the heated seats. For me, they don't heat up quickly enough or become hot enough in the winter.. they're a bit pathetic. My previous car, a Honda Legend, had superb heated seats, even though the leather seats were harder than in the Lexus.

• Like 1

Like you Mike, i think the 400 was designed for me, someone who appreciates that driving the roads of the UK can still be a thing of joy - even if all around can be mayhem.

I am never bothered by traffic jams like I used to be, (though the cost of drinking fuel while stationary is not to be enjoyed), and I arrive as fresh as one can after 10 miles or 400 miles.

On the seat heaters, they are just right, have been in cars that are burning your butt after 1 minute, so the 400 wins out here.

At 50mph the 400 is such a joy, I call it my driving sofa, and even at the occasional 85mph+ it is fine.

However I am aware that modern cars have upped their game on road noise from tyres (was out in a 1.2litre golf the other day - very quiet, but at the sight of a hill it more or less gave up) so would be interesting to see how much quieter a 460 or 600 is, though 225 tyres are obviously going to make more noise then the ones on a golf.

Also knowing that my chances of breaking down are near zero always makes for a relaxing drive.

Looking forward to some summer outings in the car with this nice weather, and possibly potter about mid-Wales, a lovely mainly traffic free part of the world.

• Like 1

Just enjoyed the first few days of my first holiday in the 400. I travel to South West Wales from Yorkshire once or twice a year. This trip actually took longer than usual, as we stopped at Aberfan Cemetery to pay our respects, something I've been meaning to do for years as I was the same age as those children who lost their lives and remember it happening clearly at the age of 11. One girl victim actually shared my birth date and it was quite moving. Not a jolly start to a holiday but something I felt I should do.

After arriving at my family's place in Wales after six hours I have never before felt so relaxed after that trip (and I have had some good cars). . I was not as tired as usual and could quite easily have made the return trip the same day. The car is so comfortable, quiet and responsive I can only think that it is noise, vibration and lack of refinement that cause tiredness.

Now driving around Pembrokeshire, the aircon working well in the 22 degree heat, this is exactly what the 400 is all about and why I bought it. I do not dread going out and driving after the long trip down, the narrow lanes are not a problem, as I just take my time. I have been up some very steep hills and put my foot down just to see how the car would respond. It is as if there is no hill, the power is phenomenal. The dog is happy, because the cold air routed to the back seats seem to be more effective than previous cars I have had. All very relaxing and not the usual experience in modern traffic.

This car really is something else. The attention to detail is incredible and falls down in only one area. Given the obsessive attention given the car during development, it is surprising that this was overlooked. It is not a major issue, but the outside door handles get hot in the sun. My daughter complains, but it is not really a big deal, if a bit surprising it was not picked up during the development stage. My wife did not want to bring the lexus. She distrusts it because it is fifteen years old. I think she is now glad that I did not bring the Octavia.

At its birth in 1989, the LS400 was designed for one purpose: To be better in every way than than a W126 Mercedes S Class, a E32 BMW 7 series and a Jaguar XJ.

In their quest to achieve this Lexus engineered a car which was quieter than a Rolls Royce, had better mechanical reliability and durability than the Germans, more smooth than a Jaguar and attention to detail. Without doing this they would have had no chance in breaking into the luxury car market and the LS400 would have gone down in history as another Honda Legend / Toyota Cressida / Mitsubishi Sigma / etc etc

Very similar styling between LS 400 Mk1 and the Merc W126. I think the Merc looks okay, but it's lines are not quite as clean as the LS, and that front grill always strikes me as rather USA focused, with that 'Look how butch I am feel'..

Once went out in a W126 and impressed by the room in it, never got to drive it though, but it looks like a real boat of a car - once again a bit like USA motors which have enormous body shells (though US cars of that period did a great job of not having decent useable space considering their size).

• Like 1

Hello Guys.

My wife and I have just got back from visiting some friends in Scotland. We left the house on Monday morning and got home on Wednesday evening after 1200 miles of trouble free motoring in the LS.

According to the trip computer we were driving for just over 24 hours in those 3 days and yet we never felt uncomfortable or stressed.

The Cruise Control made the trip effortless and the hills and mountains caused no problems, it was as if they weren't there.

The car used £220 worth of fuel which I thought was pretty good considering that I was not trying to save fuel, I just drove to the speed limits and overtook things that got in the way.

The LS is just an awesome beast :driving:

Steve

post-25599-0-66332000-1403753887_thumb.j

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Very similar styling between LS 400 Mk1 and the Merc W126. I think the Merc looks okay, but it's lines are not quite as clean as the LS, and that front grill always strikes me as rather USA focused, with that 'Look how butch I am feel'..

Once went out in a W126 and impressed by the room in it, never got to drive it though, but it looks like a real boat of a car - once again a bit like USA motors which have enormous body shells (though US cars of that period did a great job of not having decent useable space considering their size).

Do you mean the W140 series which was the one billion dollar investment by Merc way before its intro. The W140 is a Barge and I owned one for six years. Positives over the 93 Lexus I've recently bought to take its place? Seats made for Germans and not for Japanese (todays obesity in mind) soft closure doors, I'm having to get used to slamming the doors again, and its irritating. Wing mirrors that fold in electrically, an electric rear sunblind helps stop leather Sunburn when parked in hot weather.

Also no Cambelt expense as cam chains.

I would say after a long drive either in the UK or abroad (and I do a twelve hour drive in France) that I am just as refreshed as I hope to be in the Lexus shortly. The Lexus is a bit shorter (I had the LWB version of both the W140 and the W126) which I'll get used to when using it as a pack animal.

The Lexus engine is without doubt quieter than the straight six (probably the Cambelt plus!) but I can't compare against the V8 420 or 500 W140, only against the V8 500 W126 series. It was a beautiful reliable Engine and pretty quiet.

The Lexus after two decades feels tighter than the Merc.

I loved the Barge but am sure I'll love the Lexus equally as well now its taken its place.

Errrrrrrrrrrm .......... cam chains do actually snap, break and cause mayhem too when they go !

The Nissan cam chain breakage causes massive cost damage.............. friend's personal experience and it is a 60,000 service ( change ) item on that same Nissan and costs nigh on £2k to do.

Malc

Do you mean the W140 series which was the one billion dollar investment by Merc way before its intro. The W140 is a Barge and I owned one for six years. Positives over the 93 Lexus I've recently bought to take its place? Seats made for Germans and not for Japanese (todays obesity in mind) soft closure doors, I'm having to get used to slamming the doors again, and its irritating. Wing mirrors that fold in electrically, an electric rear sunblind helps stop leather Sunburn when parked in hot weather.

Also no Cambelt expense as cam chains.

I would say after a long drive either in the UK or abroad (and I do a twelve hour drive in France) that I am just as refreshed as I hope to be in the Lexus shortly. The Lexus is a bit shorter (I had the LWB version of both the W140 and the W126) which I'll get used to when using it as a pack animal.

The Lexus engine is without doubt quieter than the straight six (probably the Cambelt plus!) but I can't compare against the V8 420 or 500 W140, only against the V8 500 W126 series. It was a beautiful reliable Engine and pretty quiet.

The Lexus after two decades feels tighter than the Merc.

I loved the Barge but am sure I'll love the Lexus equally as well now its taken its place.

My mistake it was the W140.

Once when in the back of one, I reckoned you could have got a mini (original design) in the back seat and still have room to spare.

Also agree that sun blinds would be nice, but not very often a worry in our climate, and when it is that hot I prefer to be in the shade drinking beer or out for a walk around my local part of the Cotswold's.

I recall once ion a trip to Middle East parking in the shade and then later on the sun came around and heated up everything. Burnt my hand quite badly when trying to close the door (nice chrome handle on some yank tank - Chrysler I recall), thank heavens the seats were cloth !!

• Like 1

Having owned two Saab 95's both with rattling cam chains at 100k, give me a cam belt any day. At least you know where you stand!!!

Interesting about the chains. I don't think I've ever heard of a Mercedes chain breaking but I daresay it depends on how it has been driven. The chain guides can break up and cause a problem if the chain get a bit flappy. I've taken a fridge, a cement mixer, Petrol Flymo , Petrol Rotavator and even a double bed (just the frame parts) in the back seat of the LWB W140 Mercedes for an epic journey. Thank G. I don't think I need take anything else to France: but how often I've said that and been wrong! The Lexus will get more respect although I was always very careful in packing the Merc not to cause any scuffs or marks. The Rear seat cushion was usually removed.

I'm not sure its possible to leave the sunroof open on the Lexus without the alarm going off and so parked in the Sun during the day it gets extremely hot inside. I've made a Windscreen sun protector from Cardboard for inside because I can't find any product large enough for these larger screens. Looked for Lorry size but without success.

England may not be Australia but the intensity in a closed vehicle I'm convinced can damage the Dash and leather.

Interesting about the chains. I don't think I've ever heard of a Mercedes chain breaking but I daresay it depends on how it has been driven. The chain guides can break up and cause a problem if the chain get a bit flappy. I've taken a fridge, a cement mixer, Petrol Flymo , Petrol Rotavator and even a double bed (just the frame parts) in the back seat of the LWB W140 Mercedes for an epic journey. Thank G. I don't think I need take anything else to France: but how often I've said that and been wrong! The Lexus will get more respect although I was always very careful in packing the Merc not to cause any scuffs or marks. The Rear seat cushion was usually removed.

I'm not sure its possible to leave the sunroof open on the Lexus without the alarm going off and so parked in the Sun during the day it gets extremely hot inside. I've made a Windscreen sun protector from Cardboard for inside because I can't find any product large enough for these larger screens. Looked for Lorry size but without success.

England may not be Australia but the intensity in a closed vehicle I'm convinced can damage the Dash and leather.

If you lock the car with key in the lock (rather than blip with remote) you can leave the roof on tilt and alarm will not go off. (You can also leave windows ajar)

You can still unlock with remote fob, and of course the rocker sensors are not set, so someone could nick the car if they wanted to jemmy the door open.

I do this most days at my office, but I can see my car out the window.

Indicators do not flash when locking with key, and when you undo with remote the lights do not flash either.

This is case on my Mk4 and recall my previous LS was the same.

• Like 1

I had owned my ls400 for a matter of days before I was faced with a 600 mile round trip from Dundee to hull..and back...rather spookily if you use aa route finder, the total miles to go to hull and back is 666 miles...really. these cars were built for this kind of trip. in deference to its age and my not 'knowing' the car, I sat with the cruise on at 58mph, just on 2000rpm and watched the world go by in cossetted air conditioned bliss. 6 hours later I stepped out of the car with no aches, pains or fatigue. the big 4 litre v8 had averaged 34 mpg driven like this and like the original poster I thought wow, this is what these cars are built for. I doubt any car could have given me this feeling of comfort, refinement and invulnerability. I would not have jumped in any other nigh on twenty year old car I had less than a weeks experience of to do a trip like this in the blazing heat. hope my experiences continue to be this good, gbn

• Like 2

Welcome GBneil to this illustrious forum .......... I recently ( March/April ) did 5 weeks touring Spain and Portugal ........ . 6060 miles door to door from Kent ..... and as expected, had a thoroughly trouble free drive ...... apart from the police checks !!!

Malc

so what parts did you buy ??

Malc

Belt timing £49.95

Tensioner Assembly (Hydraulic) £73.95

Pump Assembly engine £104.95

Idler sub assmbly £96.95

Idler sub-assmbly T belt No1 £159.95

total £485.75

In my ignorance and thinking maybe the last two parts were extra to a full blown change of everything visible i only ordered the first three. The mechanic sighed and said I need the other parts not to mention Lexus sealant and possibly gasket for water pump (they don't do their own sealant and unsure if it has a gasket) and also a new Crankshaft bolt to be on the safe side.

So may cost a tad more than the above. Will see out my driving days I imagine.

wow, guess I missed out earlier when you told us more about your car, like mileage, service history etc.

I'm not looking to see my waterpump renewed ( its first change ) until the next cambelt change @180 - 200k miles and then I would expect my engineer to let me know if he thinks the idlers etc really need changing when he's got it all to pieces.

Just my thoughts.

And at that mileage I'll probably have the HT leads changed too ... I read ages ago now, that 180k miles is about right for them to be changed .

Malc

You can leave the 'moonroof' open on 'tilt' even when locking the car with the fob. Alarm does not go off. Then lock with the fob and hold down the button to close the 'moonroof' again. Simples. Also, Mercedes and BMtroublyou chain tensioners do 'let go' and then prove every bit as expensive to fix as a broken cambelt. The bill for my brother's Merc was huge.

If you lock the car with key in the lock (rather than blip with remote) you can leave the roof on tilt and alarm will not go off. (You can also leave windows ajar)

the alarm won't go off because it hasn't been armed. It is only armed via the key fob.

so what parts did you buy ??

Malc

Belt timing £49.95

Tensioner Assembly (Hydraulic) £73.95

Pump Assembly engine £104.95

Idler sub assmbly £96.95

Idler sub-assmbly T belt No1 £159.95

total £485.75

In my ignorance and thinking maybe the last two parts were extra to a full blown change of everything visible i only ordered the first three. The mechanic sighed and said I need the other parts not to mention Lexus sealant and possibly gasket for water pump (they don't do their own sealant and unsure if it has a gasket) and also a new Crankshaft bolt to be on the safe side.

So may cost a tad more than the above. Will see out my driving days I imagine.

Bit of an update. Mechanic still grappling with change and said more parts needed from Lexus. Apparantly water pump has a rubber washer that needs to be replaced and something else which I've forgotten with the shock of it all. At 113k miles the cam belt looked fine but the water pump / other parts had not he reckoned been changed and showed me where the pump is slightly leaking. The problem with replacing exhaust manifold gaskets also not been a doddle and had to lower whole unit and off with Cats. A lot of the metal facing plates has gone and bolts difficult to drill off. OK I could have ignored the cam belt change period and I could have asked to put some liquid metal around the exhaust join, but having grasped the nettle I'm looking forward to the car being 100% for the coming half decade. Perhaps i'll have left the Country before his bill arrives on the doormat! Hey ho

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links