Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hi all

My first post and a new owner of a 2008 IS250. Happy with the car until last Thursday when it rained the first time since owning the car. Water appearing on near side pillar and down to the dash in the corner and dripping from under dash into footwell. I've checked the sunroof and drain holes are clear and the water exits behind front wheel arch. It seems the left side of screen has a major leak. Help for suggestions as dreading the next rain fall .

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

If the sunroof drains and seal are all good it may be the windscreen seal, any suggestion a replacement has been fitted?

Was it a private or dealer sale as if a dealer you should have some warranty with the car otherwise perhaps get a local windscreen place to take a look as they will probably have to remove trim to take a proper look.

Thanks. Sunroof holes are dirt free and water flows out easily. I tested with water in the top corner of the screen and it appears inside . The windscreen looks the age of the car, plenty of tiny chips and scratches. The car was a trade sale a couple of weeks ago but the dealer put sold as seen. Receipt in front of me. My local Toyota dealer passed my on to a windscreen fitter as they don't deal with them. Feel upset obviously as a large expense already and further costs.

It could have been a replacement screen - you have said it looks to the age of the car but it could have been done a while ago. Is there any sign that the leak has been there for a long period - musty smell in the cabin - soggy / mouldy carpets?

There was an issue with leaking screens on the IS200 after replacement - I had two replacements on my old 200 and they both had the heated wiper section - one was a Pilkington and I don't know what the other one was. Cost me £60 which was the excess on the insurance with no change to the policy but that was a few years ago.

Contacted insurance company but they won't cover leaks just damage. The cost of a new screen from Lexus is £194 plus fitting . Having just spent many thousands 3 weeks ago it's a hard pill to swallow .

Mine was replaced as it cracked, they fitted a Pilkington one in that had a warp in the glass then with the next one the fitter broke the mirror attachment which he later replaced and it was fine after that.

Going back a few posts you mentioned the car was bought from a motor dealer and was bought as "Sold as seen"

IIRC that is illegal practice as the car even used is still covered under the Sale of Goods Act one section of which states the car must be fit for purpose and a leaky car isn't.

I understand the only way a motor trader can sell a car not covered under SOGA is by selling it as "Spares or Repairs"

Have a read of the link below.

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/advice/problemswithvehicles-sum6.cfm

It may be worth contacting the

CAB to ask their advice.

Yes I've read up on that and have wrote to the trader. Awaiting his reply but I doubt he will play ball. I don't know how to play it , do I pay for the work and ask him to reimburse me or wait for him to organise himself . If the latter happens it may be a long process and I haven't got a garage to keep the car dry. Thanks for the link anyway.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links