Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Another Newbie - Joining Before Buying

goldtop

Hi all. Just introducing myself before reading through the forum posts. I've joined to wise up before buying.

This weekend's job is shortlisting GS300 and LS400 from 1998-2000, using eBay, AT, etc. Maybe the 430 models, too (there doesn't seem to be a lot of fuel economy difference between them anyway!)

The first big trip will be a european road trip of about 2500 miles in August. The Other Half will not be very happy if we're stuck by the side of an autostrada with automotive gremlins. So the Jaguar S, various MBs and many other intersting cars have been crossed off the list of contenders. :)

I did toy with the possibility of the Honda Legend, but they're rare and never seemed to be as well rated as the LS.

Hi Barry, welcome to LOC. You'll find what you're looking for if you're patient. As a non Gold member I'm not allowed to tell you my LS400 is on eBay as from today, so I won't, even if it was!!

• 2 weeks later...

Shame I missed yor car, Phil.

It would have saved me today's wasted effort. Ad said: "Private sale ... A beautiful, clean and smooth family car. The vehicle has full service history, 11 months mot, ...very good condition." Advert had only just appeared and I couldn't wait, and off I trot on the 120 mile round trip.

He and the car weren't there when I arrived about 15 mins early. Had to call him (on his mobile, obviously) and then he drove up with the car. Hmmm. It had damage on every corner, rust on front wheel arch, scrape on rear wheel arch. History was just two DIY stamps in a book (not the correct one, either) with the last one over 4 years ago. Squeak from the engine at idle. Duff aerial, duff gas struts, and to cap it all, he's hadn't bothered to send off the previous owner's V5.

Oh well...

Not looking for sympathy, guys. Just sell me your lovely car!

Thanks Jonathan.

Well, as of this afternoon, I appear to be sorted. :) I left a deposit on a silver Mk4 and once the seller has done the necessary paperwork to take off his private plate, I will collect.

If anyone knows a LS-savvy independent anywhere relatively close to Cambridge, please let me know. I've budgeted for a cambelt and water pump replacement ASAP, and will get fluids and filters done at the same time.

Welcome to the club Barry. We had a 98 gs300, best car i ever owned.....so far.

Sorry just re-read and see you have bought a ls, enjoy your new car.

Thanks, Ian. :)

I won't get the car for a couple of weeks (frustratingly!).

So I'm just trying to get the other bits arranged in readiness. Looks like Lexus has some special deal on timing belt change at £295, but the water pump replacement is priced separately at £395! I'm hoping that there's some reduction for both being done at once; just waiting for the call back from the local Lexus dealer's service dept.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links