Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Differences In Se-L Spec Before And After 2008 For Gs450H

Hi all, I'm toying with the idea of buying a GS450h (3rd gen GS).

From my understanding, the main difference between the SE-L and SE is the standard fitment of the Active Cruise Control (ACC) and the sunroof, as discussed here and here. Hence, I suppose the presence of that extra ACC button on the steering wheel indicates an SE-L model.

I then found out that the GS450h was given a mild refresh around 2008, and some of the updates included a new steering wheel design. However, having observed a few facelifted GS450h out there, I have never seen the extra ACC button on the updated steering wheel. For example, this car is an SE-L, but the steering wheel lacks that button. And, although it is hard to tell from the pics, this car appears to lack the sunroof too. Compare it to this car, for example (pre-2008 SE-L), and you will see what I mean.

So the question I have is:

- Was ACC and sunroof dropped in the refreshed SE-L models?

- If they were, what differentiates the SE-L to the SE then?

Hi Ganesh, I think you are right the clue appears to be if the side repeater indicator lamps are housed in the door mirror bodies the sun roof and ACC became options, don't know the difference between SE and SE L after this, I remember when every Lexus had a sunroof ( I consider essential in a car ) but now like Honda did previously the spec has been cut right back I guess aimed at the fleet market. After 9 years of Lexus owenership I am considering a Infinity hybrid which comes with FAR more kit as standard, when the dreaded time comes to part company with my 450h SE L with ACC and sunroof.

I believe in 2008 the sunroof and ACC became options on the SE-L rather than being standard. Sunroof was always an option for the SE.

I'm not sure if the original SE-L optional wood pack became standard in 2008, all the ones I've seen have this. Otherwise as you mention what would differentiate the SE from the SE-L

Thanks for the feedback gents, I think I have found the answer.

It appears that Lexus has moved the trim level one notch lower for the 2008 model year onwards. In other words, the base model was renamed "SE", and what used to be the "SE" is now the "SE-L". The top of the line model is the "SE-L with ACC+PCS+sunroof".

Attached are the specifications for the pre-2008 (credits to tonyricha) and post-2008 GS450h line-up. Therefore, from 2008, SE-L doesn't imply ACC. The ACC (bundled with the sunroof) was an option, as mentioned by Colin.

GS450h pre-2008.pdf

GS450h post-2008.pdf

I brought my last GS450h new in 2008

The sun roof and ACC were options and as far as I can
remember so was the upgrade to a 17 speaker ML sound system.

The only difference I can remember between the SE and SE-L
was that the SE-L had a slightly higher quality leather and a rear spoiler, I am
sure there was one other thing but I cant remember what it was, it couldn’t have
been that important ( to me anyway ) as I went for the SE.

Thanks for sharing, Chris :)

Another question: did the size of the boot remain the same throughout all the model years? For some reason, the article on wikipedia about the GS450h states that there was an increase in boot space from the 2009 model year onwards. Can anyone relate?

Thanks again

there certainly was an increase in Aug 2008 (called 2009 models in the US). On the US models the capacity went from 7.5 cu ft to 10.6 cu ft, no reason to think the UK spec didn't chance the same amount. It appears the batteries were stacked in a different way to gain the extra space.

Obviously a statistic doesn't always tell the whole story. Whether that extra space is actually usable I don't know.

So I viewed a GS450h today, and fell in love! It was very smooth to drive, handled well, and had impressive acceleration. The boot wasn't as small as I thought it would be; in fact, for my purpose I was pretty happy with it. The steering also had decent feedback and I kept my ears alert for any rattles but there were none. That said, I'm going to have a look at two or three other cars before making up my mind. :)

By the way, while looking around, I noticed this sensor in the boot next to the spare wheel. Anyone knows what is it for?

IMG_20140712_123827_zpsf27a5411.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links