Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS400 93 goes in for Cambelt change tomorrow and I don't know if the Radio will die owing to it having a security setting code which i cannot find.

Should (as I have read online) the letters SEC appear very briefly on the radio screen when the ignition is turned to ACC irrespective of the Radio On/Off button being pushed in, to confirm that the Radio security is "live"?

Nothing appears when I do this so perhaps it is not set to "live" ?

Following Owners manual, Pressed buttons 1 and 6 whilst then pushing on the Pwr/Vol button and SEC comes up on the screen.

Pressed button 1 and top end of tune and four blanks came up

From here unless I know the code I can't reset it.

But is it set?

Any advice please.

When I had the dashlights sorted on my 94 Ls400 there was a thought that I might lose the radio BUT was assured that it was quite unlikely that the code had ever been set from the outset. As proved to be the case.

Malc

Hi Stuart ,Malcs right the radio codes rarely seem to be set ,the big advantage of having it built into the car rather than an easily stolen slot in unit.

From the handbook ,my interpretation is that if you don't see "SEC" appear when you turn the key to ACC then the code is not set ,my interpretations are often prone to errors though as she who knows best is always telling me.

Thanks to all - I'm hoping it hasn't been set, and I note the Vehicle Service Record Manual says "If" your radio is fitted with.........

I don't see SEC when I switch on. Only if I press 1&6 and the Vol control.

Will keep my fingers crossed.

I have a Sony Xplod thats been sitting in its box for a couple of years which i can substitute but as I found that with a tiny £4.95 transmitter I'm able to put my MP3 player in the cup holder and it plays perfectly through the existing Radio without cables, I really don't want to be bothered changing things.

Will report back later in the week and if necessary try the last 3 digits of the VIN.

problem is with fitting an aftermarket unit, you lose the subwoofer in the parcel shelf. Unless you are willing to rewire from front to back.

As far as I know, certainly on the GS's, the momentary "SEC" display not being shown when you switch it on is the indicator that it has not been set. You should be good to go.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

• Like 1

Like Rudy, I have disconnected the Battery on my 1996 car to replace it with a new one and have not had any issues with the radio.

Hopefully everything will be OK for you.

There is a devious and convoluted sequence to clear a lost code, I used on my mk2 and it worked, got it somewhere

The sequence I used when my radio locked out after a Battery change was:

1. Turn the ignition switch to ON (warning lights etc illuminated)
  2. Press the CLIMATE and AUDIO switches at the same time and turn the HEADLIGHT CONTROL SWITCH in the following sequence:
  3. OFF-SIDE LIGHTS-OFF-SIDE LIGHTS-OFF-SIDE LIGHTS
  4. The SYSTEM CHECK then displays on the satnav screen wait till it finishes.
  5. Once all the function checks display OK then press MENU and the DIAGMENU will be displayed
  6. Starting with the AUDIO button, follow this sequence:
  7. AUDIO-DESTINATION-AUDIO-DESTINATION-AUDIO-DESTINATION
  8. The SECURITY menu will then display.
  9. Using the displayed keys enter 440215 and press ENTER and it returns to the DIAGMENU.
  10. Switch the IGNITION SWITCH to the OFF position.
  11. Done!
There is also a cheap gizmo you can use to keep the settings alive while the Battery is disconnected.

I have had 1 X 300; 3X 400s and a 430, over the years and did did not even know there was a code for the radio. I was never given one by a dealer (4 of the cars were new when aquired). Who would nick a built in unit - except another Lexus owner? :shifty: I should add I have swapped a few batteries over the years.

Clunkfish's post was very interesting and informative.

Bren

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links