Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I Think My Fan Belt Is Slipping

TheDon

hey guys, i just noticed recently that i have a high pitched whine when im slowly moving/reving. i am convinced its the fan belt, having never had a fan belt do this before i need to know if i can adjust it at all to take up the slack, or if i need it replacing? and if it needs replacing how much is it to have done?

thanks

As some of you may or may not remember I reported an issue with my IS200 which sounds familiar to your problem Mr. Don.....unfortunately the topic will have been lost in the LOC database crash! However to explain my issue a little, this is what was happening....

Shortly before my last service, I noticed a small squeak resonating from the engine on pull away, especially under heavy load / acceleration with low revs. Anything above 10 - 15mph or when the car is idle is fine. The noise is also more noticable when the engine gets hotter.

At first, I could only hear it if there were walls surrounding the car, like in a tunnel of car park, but it got progressively worse. I would liken it to the noise of a timing belt slipping!

However, the car has been in and out of the Lexus garage a few times now and they have replaced/tested all belts, checked the induction system, and checked the exhaust system encase any of it was rubbing together. Anyway, as a result of asking the knowledgable chaps of LOC...Mr. Fluff (top man!) suggested that it might be something to do with the clutch release bearing, so armed with this new angle I went to see Lexus. After an hour of testing and reproducing the noise they agreed that this might be the case and as we speak my car is in the garage having the clutch and flywheel assembly replaced!!!

I hope it will be sorted by the end of the week, so I will let you know the outcome. In the meantime, some food for thought for you....I hope that this helps you a little!!

Brgds - Neil

• 2 weeks later...

popped into lexus bromley to have them look at the noise (if you can see noise!).

was very happy as a guy popped out and came straight over, realised it was a dry belt and squirted a little lube on it. problem solved there and then, no noise at all. he even gave me a can of the spray lube just in case it came back!

and the total cost

£0.000000000000000000

free, i was so shocked, great service.

popped into lexus bromley to have them look at the noise (if you can see noise!).

was very happy as a guy popped out and came straight over, realised it was a dry belt and squirted a little lube on it. problem solved there and then, no noise at all. he even gave me a can of the spray lube just in case it came back!

and the total cost

£0.000000000000000000

Phheeww Thank :tsktsk: for that mate!!!

and the total cost

£0.000000000000000000

hmm, forgive my arrogance, but doesnt lube....err lubricate allowing items that are lubricated to err slip easier..

it just seems to me that all they ahve done is lubricate the belt so that you cant hear the squeak when it is slipping..

I thought the belt shouldnt have any slipping let alone a crafty/quiet slip..

Anyway, as a result of asking the knowledgable chaps of LOC...Mr. Fluff (top man!) suggested that it might be something to do with the clutch release bearing,

Thanks mate, glad to be of help :D ...........also thanks to the other people that gave suggestions, greatly appreciated.

and the total cost

£0.000000000000000000

you should never put any form of lubricant on a fan belt( serpentine belt - its the ribbed one not a toothed one), have a look at the underside of the belt and check its condition, see if it needs to be tightened etc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links