Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Finally I know where I stand. Lexus uk have confirmed the is200d is treated differently to a is220d, simply because of the 2011 update which ensured the is200d wouldn't have the same head gasket problem as the is220d - so thats it, I can relax now that Lexus has said my car won't suffer from head gasket issues (yeah, right), so hopefully it really is just the radiator in my case (for the sellers sake more than mine, as they are paying for it).

According to Lexus uk, each is200d's entitlement to a goodwill warranty extension is assessed individually, with the extension applied as appropriate - hence some dealers being as much in the dark as me.

I hope it's just a faulty rad mate.

Lexus not really coming through on their "excellent customer service" for you are they?

I would like to know does the IS200d have a different HG to the 220D? Oh well, let's all keep out fingers crossed it's just a dodgy rad got you.

Thanks mate, yes it would be interesting to see the spec for the is200d just to see the difference.

Fortunately for me, if its not just the rad, its not my problem financially. Just means it won't be getting repaired at Lexus (that's if I don't reject it under the sale of goods act)

Hi guys is the HG issue only on the diesel as I have a IS250 and have a coolant spraying issue but getting a new water pump on Monday.

I don't see any HG symptoms or anything

The HG issue is primarily a Diesel engine problem relating to the Lexus IS.

The main issue involves the 220d. The modified 200d with lower hp and road tax should not suffer the HG issue...at least that is what Lexus claim.

• Like 1

Hi Normski,

Is that the case with all Is220d's including the ones built late 2010?

I have a late 2010 220d and so far all seems to be fine, car drives faultless when I purchased it it was fully maintained by Lexus stoke, full service history. It has done 115k so far so out of goodwill warranty, I have driven by 1.5k miles both town and motorway, all oil levels and coolant levels the same as the day I bought it. Mines the 177bhp but with the lower tax band.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

I wouldn't let it bother you, especially if you have no signs of a HG failure.

Like most is220ds, yours has a full Lexus history, with maintenance carried out to the manufacturers specification.

Tied to the fact that modern engines are assumed to be good for a couple of hundred thousand miles (at least) I really don't think Lexus would have a very strong argument if push comes to shove. As I'm not paying for any repairs to my car, I saw little point in arguing when Lexus said I was outside of the goodwill warranty, if I was paying it'd be very different story.

• 2 weeks later...

Just for the record, Lexus Edgware Rd(persuaded seller to have them look at it) have confirmed it is a leaky water pump and definitely not a HG issue....interesting how Halfords autocentres were adamant it was a radiator leak.

Thanks KC14, yes its nice to get that peace of mind derived from Lexus doing the job.

As for updates, I hate those threads that suddenly just end without any word about the final outcome!

Just for the record, Lexus Edgware Rd(persuaded seller to have them look at it) have confirmed it is a leaky water pump and definitely not a HG issue....interesting how Halfords autocentres were adamant it was a radiator leak.

That's great news!

Oh and in regards to Halfords... This is why I wouldn't let them anywhere near my car. 👍

Sorry guys I didn't come back sooner as I wanted to give it a week or two to see how things are.

Had the water pump replaced..along with coolant. Also replaced a unplanned front and rear caliper (seized) front discs and pads. Total cost £750 with service oil/filter. Car runs much better now and there is no signs of coolant spraying any where.

BluePrint ADT was actually a direct replacement for the OEM water pump as manufactured by Aisin.

That's great news!

Oh and in regards to Halfords... This is why I wouldn't let them anywhere near my car.

Thanks, and yes, it certainly paid to go to Lexus in this case!

......not entirely sure why I wouldn't ever set foot in one of those autocentres ever again.....but a mysteriously appearing scratch on my nearside rear door, a missing grommet on one engine cover as well as a wonky one, locking wheel nut box chucked back on passenger seat instead of where they found it, not to mention a possible incorrect diagnosis.....all just might have had some bearing on my decision.

Just a quick question for everyone before my new water pump gets replaced next week - is it best to replace the coolant (which should have been renewed at the 100,000 service, 8,000 miles ago) or is it fine to just put the existing back in as Lexus plan to do.

I cant believe that Lexus planned to re-use the existing coolant!!?

I know, thing is even if I pay them extra for new coolant I can't be sure they won't just re-use the existing anyway - particularly after they said to me you can't be sure it got replaced at the 100k service (even though it should have been!)!!

• 1 month later...

Prestone is an conventional "universal" organic acid formula. It'll work. However, Japanese car manufacturers designed their own specific formula which is a special "hybrid" organic acid formula, which provides better water pump seal protection than a conventional pure organic formula. The prestone is "phosphate free" whereas toyota/Lexus require a "phosphate based" coolant.

In most of the UK and Europe, the ONLY "phosphate based coolant" you can buy is the OEM fluid.

How much difference this actually makes is anyone's guess. Obviously, prestone seem to think that it doesn't make any difference.

I'm sure that if you replace the coolant with prestone you won't run into too much trouble provided that you dilute with distilled water. Once phosphates go into a cooling system, you can never flush them out - they stick to the metal. If you mix hard water and phosphates, then you risk them reacting and forming scale and grit.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links