Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Full Lexus/toyota Diagnostics And Customisation For £20!

Hello all,

I wanted to share my recent find as I was an excitable schoolboy with this!! lol

OK, so I have been wanting to adjust a few settings on my '07 250. I wanted to adjust the light sensitivity on my auto-lights and also wanted to change what happens when I press the Lock button on the fob.

After doing some research, on here and other sites I found out that even though we can use an OBD2 connector to clear and show codes (as per any other car) I couldn't find any info on finding in-depth diagnostics on the Lexus and also no way of changing the ECU settings myself. I then spoke to mu local dealer and found that they would charge me £130 if I wanted some settings changed!! They did say they would do it FOC IF I had my car in for a full service....

OK...so after more research I found that there's Toyota software called Techstream. Some may have already heard of this...some may even have it! It's the software used by dealerships to complete the full diagnostics along with doing those rather expensive setting changes.

One thing I found was a few people had the software BUT when they tried to make settings changes it either showed an error or simply did nothing.

I then set about looking at what hardware was being used along with the version of Techstream. I then ordered a few different USB to OBD2 connectors and also found a few sellers 'supplying' the Techstream software with the connectors. I found different sellers supplying different hardware AND different versions of the Techstream software.

After a couple of weeks of testing I have FINALLY found a seller that not only supplies a Mini VCI USB to OBD2 connector but also supplies a version of Techstream that so far has worked on 2006-2010 IS250s and a couple of 220s. Oh and also a friends Yaris! All for a total cost of less than £20!

It's bloody amazing! There might be some that already have it and just thought others had it...but it's pretty mind blowing for me!

I can now not only connect up my laptop to the car (which I have done before) but I can run full diagnostics AND more importantly I can change ALL customisation settings within all of the ECUs! I today changed the light sensortivity and door unlocking settings in 5 minutes and that includes walking to the car and plugging it in! £130 from the dealership!!! Ridiculous.

So, I bought the connector and software from this link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321532852464

It says it comes from Hong Kong, however it actually was dispatched the UK and took 4 days.

The important parts of this are:

Mini VCI J2534 USB to OBD2 Cable

Techstream version 9.30.002

If you already have a Mini VCI J2534 USB to OBD2 cable then you only need the software......

OK, I am off to change some more settings....because I can! lol :hocus-pokus:

The problem is that unless you have paid a few thousand pounds to Toyota for a copy of the Techstream software you have no legal entitlement to use it.

Happy to discuss Techstream on these forums which the assumption that the software has been obtained legally.

I completely agree regarding the legality concern. I for one can only assume the company selling the device and accompanying software have obtained it legally, possibly due to it being an older version etc.

Anyhoo... I'll be having more of a play tomorrow... Will see what I can do with it!

Hi,

You mentioned 220's so I am interested if this will function on my 2007 / 220D as it would be excellent to have the ability to tweak a few of the minor settings without having to raid the bank for dealer labour charges.

Cheers

Hmmm. Nowhere within the eBay listing does it actually say that the Techstream software is included - only that the OBD2 lead that they are selling "supports" Techstream.

The seller has only 1 feedback but is now advertising a wide range of automotive diagnostic devices.

It's also strange that they explicitly say that they will ship to the buyer's eBay address, not their PayPal address - which goes against PayPal's advice to sellers for protecting themselves against Item Not Received claims.

I knoww that it's only 20 quid, but I'd tread carefully.

Hi can you set the auto lock so that when you drive off the doors look automatically, then open when you go back into park mode. I have a second child who is 8months old and already knows how to open the doors :(

I did take my car to Lexus but they said this feature is not available....maybe because I did not have a full service with them as when I called the service manager said yes pop in we will do it free for you. That was Sidcup Lexus BTW

PilgrimIS anyway to enable a digital speedometer using the techstream? I think the isf have digital speedometer... I know you can observe your speed in the hidden menu on the screen, I think it's under the gps section of the hidden menu but it's in khr instead of mph

Hmmm. Nowhere within the eBay listing does it actually say that the Techstream software is included - only that the OBD2 lead that they are selling "supports" Techstream.

The seller has only 1 feedback but is now advertising a wide range of automotive diagnostic devices.

It's also strange that they explicitly say that they will ship to the buyer's eBay address, not their PayPal address - which goes against PayPal's advice to sellers for protecting themselves against Item Not Received claims.

I knoww that it's only 20 quid, but I'd tread carefully.

there are hundreds of sellers on eBay, and amazon, all selling the same thing. As usual do your own research by checking T&Cs, buyer feedback etc. before selecting a seller.

I think the seller had to reregister as new seller because he was banned for mentioning Toyota and Lexus on his ad. eBay took him off so hence why he has 1 feedback.

I'll be connecting this back up shortly... Will give an update then ☺

The 1 feedback... Is me! Lol... It's a second account for the seller.

Ishaq... The auto lock is only available on certain vehicles... I don't think mine is available as it's too old... '07.

• Like 1

Like always, make a backup first. There's a tool to backup the ECU configuration within the software, however I think as long as you're not changing settings like crazy then I'm sure it's all good.

My way with anything is make a backup, make a change... Test... Then repeat!

So, just been out and gone through the customisation settings....

One thing I have noticed is that it doesn't automatically pick up the VIN number which I have seen it do in a few YouTube vids...so I am guessing it's not working completely. Anyhoo...here's the full customisation menu (notes at the bottom):

Initial Customisation Screen -

InitialScreenOptions_zps26126bce.jpg

Wireless Door -

WirelessDoorLock_zpsf0d3e416.jpg

Wiper -

Wiper_zps0ad0d7c9.jpg

Tilt -

Tilt_zps110d0db8.jpg

Warning -

Warning_zpsbb8983c9.jpg

Air Con -

AirCon_zps5ac45d52.jpg

Smart Key -

SmartKey_zpsbfad534f.jpg

Door Lock -

DoorLock_zps40b1e249.jpg

Power Window -

PowerWindow_zps9cc5396d.jpg

Illuminated Entry -

IlluminatedEntry_zpsb8407e78.jpg

Light Control -

LightControl_zpsd8053dd7.jpg

Sensor -

Sensor_zpsd5241c3d.jpg

Unit Conversion -

UnitConversion_zps5d50554b.jpg

Others -

Others_zps03df2611.jpg

NOTES -

There were a few which had no options at all. A couple being Security & Display. Unsure whether this is due to incompatibility with the hardware/software or there's simply nothing there to configure on my '07 IS.

One other thing to note is that I have read you can also link new key fobs using this set up. There is a menu saying ECU Reprogramming....I am guessing it can be done but not looked at it yet....plus I already have a couple of fobs so no real need.

This is also JUST the customisation part...there's a load of other menu's too.

DISCLAIMER - If you purchase any hardware/software please make sure it is legit and also if you do screw up your vehicle's ECU whilst playing with the software I hold no responsibility for showing you some screenshots :shifty:

• Like 3

This looks awesome, it'd be really handy to be able to programme a new fob and also extend the time the lights stay on!

Anyway of changing it so the headlights stay on for say 30 seconds after leaving the car?

Just a heads up to you guys with this type of knock-off cable.

In addition to the pir8 software on the cable's internal microprocessor, the cables also use a popular USB control chip. However, this USB control chip is widely faked.

The manufacturer of this particular chip, a company called FTDI, recently released a new driver that would detect fake chips and destroy them. This Tuesday's windows update from microsoft includes the latest FTDI driver with the "kill package". If you plug your cable into a computer with this new driver, the cable may be destroyed.

The photo below shows a typical knock-off VCI cable. The FTDI FT232RL chip is shown. However, FTDI laser engrave their logo onto their chips. This logo is printed, indicating a fake chip, likely to be destroyed by the new driver.

post-47096-0-84290800-1414171339_thumb.j

That driver has already been removed by Microsoft as it was found to brick a number of devices.

The manufacture will be releasing an updating 'non-invasive' driver next week and will come out in the next Patch Tuesday (11th Nov).

Any driver found to take malicious action to any hardware would be a breach of the Microsoft Update policy.

I can't wait for the next driver update...

Forgot to mention...as long as the driver which comes with the cable is installed then it'll keep on working.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links