Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi,the old alloys are in need of a refurb as you can see. I've considered some new/replacement wheels,but due to financial constraints I'm going with the refurb idea. It would probably cost £200/£250 for a company to do it and the car would be off the road for a few days,so I've decided to do it myself !!. I shall do them one at a time using the spare whilst refurbing each wheel. I know the purists will snigger,but it's just to smarten them up for a few months until SWMBO lets me get some new wheels. You may have noticed that the drivers side mirror is lower body colour and the passenger mirror is upper body colour,so I will do the wheels and the drivers mirror in as near as possible to the lighter upper body colour. Can I get the correct colour made up by someone by using the paint code or should I take a chance and just use any old silver and hope for the best?. Cost is a consideration here of course. Perhaps someone will know a good silver to go for as there are many shades of silver of course. Ta.

post-37664-0-93448800-1417942074_thumb.j

You can get the colour made from the paint code, I've done it twice.

I did my last wheels, it took ages to do them but they came out OK. Like anything, preparation is so important. I got the paint from Halfords, grey primer, a bright Vauxhall silver, and importantly clear lacquer. Just be sure to let the primer cure before the silver, same with the lacquer, or it will pickle.

• Like 1

I have had some paint mixed for my silver LS400. The smallest quantity that paint factors will mix is usually half a litre and it cost me about £20. Ask them for single pack acrylic or cellulose.

I had some colour matched silver paint mixed at the same time for the wheels. I have not been able to find a paint code for the wheels. Does anyone know if there is one?

I had an aerosol can filled with the wheel paint and what was left from the half litre paint mix was put in a tin. I think the aerosol cost about £6 in addition to the £20 for the paint. I resprayed a couple of the wheels and did small localised repairs on the others using a small brush. They look OK at a distance and you can only see the paint touched in if you get close up.

As Phil says, it does take ages to do but it makes the car look a lot better.

• Like 1

I did mine, took them to a tire place and got the tire off, best to clean and paint the inner rim where the tire bead seals, or you will get leaks later.

I used a primer and a darker silver- gunmetal grey, as the car was maroon, then a clear coat.

Not a small job, as Phil says, it's all down to the preparation. I used an old alternator clamped in a workmate so I had a revolving wheel at a good working hight.

End result look excellent

• Like 2

John, I've got a set of Mk.4 wheels (the originals from my car) doing nothing and starting to go rusty. If they fit your car you're welcome to them, in case you want to refurb all your wheels at the same time.

• Like 1

John, I've got a set of Mk.4 wheels (the originals from my car) doing nothing and starting to go rusty. If they fit your car you're welcome to them, in case you want to refurb all your wheels at the same time.

Have PM'd you Scribe.

Just realised that MK4 wheels are probably 17". My MK3 has 16"s. Wanted to keep the tyres from mine.

Hi. Do you still have these wheels ? One of my friends who owns an LS400 is looking for a replacement set of alloys has he has now damaged 2 of his 5 wheels (his spare wheel had a crack in it when he bought it).

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links