Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Grievance With Lexus

robpace

I am after some opinions on this . I have owned my RX 300 SE - L ( Air Suspension model 2004 )for five years now and i have carried on with the servicing at the same Lexus Main dealer it was originally purchased from . The N/S/F shock absorber started making a noise when steering left or right , so a phone call was made to my Lexus Parts Department .Describing the noise to him , he asked if the Air Suspension was still OK , to which i replied it was . He then said all i would need is a Top Mount and Bearing , and that would save a lot of money as it was near on a thousand pounds to have the new complete unit fitted. He also told me it was a very easy job to do , so i said i would get my own mechanics that service my work vehicles to fit it so saving again on the higher Lexus fitting costs .

I went back a few days later when my parts arrived to pick them up , and thought it might be a good idea to drive around the back and let one of the Lexus Technicians have a quick listen .He confirmed i had the correct parts to cure the problem , but also added , all they usually do is pack it out with grease , and that cures it ( The Technician didn't know it was as Air Suspension model )

My own Mechanics were called and were asked to come around and do a quick job for me and a date was arranged when the Wife didnt need the car for a couple of hours . I recieved a phone call asking me if the part had been modified because it was slightly different to the one on the car . I phoned the man i had been dealing with in the Parts Dept and he said it is 100% the correct part and there have been no modications ( He did originally ask from the first phone if it was an Air Suspension , would have thought they should have known through the Number Plate as tthey've looked after the car for 10 years !)

Anyway , a phone call was made back to my mechanics assuring them it was the right parts and somehow they made them fit.

I took the car out for a drive , and it drove perfectly, but the next morning the air wad gone out of the Shock Absorber .Oh no , i knew i now had problems. I started the car , the suspension pumped up and it drives as it should do . The left to right steering noise is cured , but when suspension is pumped up to high setting , it seems very hard and theres a knocking noise up and down over lots of little bumps .Back on normal setting , the car drives fine , but sometimes it loose it air and sometimes it doesn't.

It has been like this since the fitting about two and a half months , after the Lexus Parts Dept said they should have done the job !! ( He told me i could probably even do it !!! )

Knoing this matter needs sorting , i phoned another Lexus Main Agent out of my area talking him through from the first phone call to now .Straight away he said the Unit is sealed and cannot be split , also adding that if the Parts Man had flicked the page , it would then have taken him off the Non Air Suspension to the correct one for my vehicle .

With this information , i went back to to him and told him he had supplied me with the wrong parts and i think it is his fault for the predicament I'm in now. He admitted his mistake , and said he was very sorry and it was the first mistake he had ever made . I was told he would ring back to see what could be done.

I recieved his phone call to be told that thet hold my Mechanics responsible but out of courtesy , they will let me have the new unit at cost ( £462 + VAT ) and their Service Manager will fit it for £360 . So it comes to roughly the same price as if I'd gone down the correct route in the first place .i said I'm quite happy to pay for the new complete unit at cost , but fitting should be free , as in my opinion , you've already cost me over £400.

The Service Manager wouldnt budge , he said he can offer no more so he advised me to go to Customer Relations.

A call was made to a lovely lady at Lexus UK . She took all my details and got back to me an hour later saying shehad spoken to the Parts Manager , and he also thinks my Mechanics are at fault.

Im not happy by this reply , and am convinced the Parts Man has not told his Boss the full story of his mistake , tgat he admitted to me , and the subsequent phone calls asking him if he is sure its the right part.

Anyway , Customer Relations at Lexus UK are going to make a final call to the Top Dog of Lexus branch when whoever it is returns from their Christmas Holiday .

Whats your thoughts on this blame wise ?

Merry Christmas everyone

Unfortunately I feel the dealer is being fair, providing the part at cost is good saving, although it doesn't look like they are giving you much of a saving in labour costs.

Even when told the part is correct there should have been sufficient doubt to get it double checked by allowing the dealer to physically see the parts or look up on the online repair manual. I've not seen one of these units up close but I would have thought it was apparent that would be difficult to get an air tight seal if it was split apart.

I am assuming that Lexus feel that had the part supplied wrongly by them been fitted by them the mistake would have been spotted by their engineer and corrected at that point.

Its like all these things, set yourself a position which you think is fair to both sides and negotiate from that standpoint, meet somewhere in the middle and both sides should be reasnably happy.

Mike.

Tricky one - the dealer made a mistake but your mechanic should have realised there was a problem as he obviously had to bodge it to get the part to fit.

If you get no further joy from Lexus, I would go back to your mechanic and try get something back off him, even if it just means they fit the correct part for less (or ideally free).

I think both Steve and Neimo have hit the nail on the head, personally

I would have gone to Lexus and found out the correct price to fit the part
rather than an estimate from the parts department, then you would have had a
true difference in total cost between Lexus and your mechanic, I have found you
can always barter with lexus on labour costs, for example I have never paid
what they have quoted for a service.

Good luck with the outcome

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links