Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

I recently received some parking tickets that were not for my car. Although the notices had my plate number, my car had never been in this part of London.I reported problem to the parking agency who issued the notices and my local police station. I was told that the tax disc did not match the license plate number. Using the address from the parking notices, I went on search of said vehicle. Lo and behold, I found a Lexus Is250 with the same plate number as mine!

The police are waiting for a recovery truck to take away the impostor now as I am typing this message. The other car was stolen last year and used in a burglary. Please keep your car keys in a safe place.More details to follow...

Hmm - so now that we don't have tax discs, how are they going to verify this sort of thing in future? I suppose wardens/police will be able to note the VIN and match that where it's displayed - but it isn't on my MX-5 for example.

Bit stupid of the scrotes to leave the tax disc in, but maybe intelligence is not one of their virtues (!) if any (!). Although I guess they've just abandoned the car.

Breakdown service came but unable to start the car.Even with a Battery pack it wouldn't start. Seems like the alternator has failed. There is a slight smell of burning like if you catch a plastic bag on your exhaust. All in all a really crappy day. Starting to have second thoughts about this car. 1 ignition coil, 1 seized brake caliper, 1 cloned licence plate and now an alternator all in the space of 1 year. Only 60k on the clock.

Breakdown service came but unable to start the car.Even with a battery pack it wouldn't start. Seems like the alternator has failed. There is a slight smell of burning like if you catch a plastic bag on your exhaust. All in all a really crappy day. Starting to have second thoughts about this car. 1 ignition coil, 1 seized brake caliper, 1 cloned licence plate and now an alternator all in the space of 1 year. Only 60k on the clock.

Sorry to hear your tale of woe. Car problems seem to be like London buses, all or nothing. Hopefully the rest of the years motoring will be like the 105 bus I used to get home, they hardly ever came!

I have a feeling that the theives were going to use the imposter for more crimes; why else would they have a set of phoney plates made up? Yes I have been very lucky but not totally impressed with plod. I stopped a traffic officer and told him that I had found the imposter, but he said, "Sorry Sir, but I cannot help you. I suggest you call 101". Even the 101 operator was stunned, and asked for the officers badge number.

I stopped a traffic officer and told him that I had found the imposter, but he said, "Sorry Sir, but I cannot help you. I suggest you call 101". Even the 101 operator was stunned, and asked for the officers badge number.

I bet that he was gutted he couldn't nick for you something, like a faulty rear light or something, after all their ANPR wasn't even telling him your car was stolen! Its bad enough a car being outside their radar, nonchalance upon being informed of its status is unforgivable in the current climate. I'd contact my M.P.

Also, make sure you blank out your number plate when you post photos online (see my profile image). That's one of the easiest ways to get a suitable plate with a colour match, which would be all that ANPR and related systems would normally be able to verify.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links