Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Soon To Be New Owner - How To Tell If It Has Lsd?

Hi fellas,

Long story short I bought a 150k miles GS450h as a company hack 2 months ago and am now so deeply impressed with the Lexus engineering and build quality that I've decided to sell on the GS and buy an ISF.

Trouble is I'm getting conflicting reports over which cars came with the LSD. I was under the impression that all the 2010 plus cars had the LSD as standard spec however both salesmen selling the cheap 2010 blue/cream leather ISF for sale at £24k on eBay and the Proveeda 2011 blue/cream leather ISF at £28k state that neither car has an LSD and they've checked with Lexus to be sure :eerrrmm:

I like my track days and even though I've got a toyed with Gt86 I can easily see the LSF doing the odd quiet track day (ones with lots of run off :devil: ) so an LSD is big plus for me.

Anyway of knowing for sure? are the sales guys wrong?

Any help much appreciated.

Steve

Hello and welcome Steve. More experienced members will correct me if I'm wrong but I always thought the blue section at the bottom of the steering wheel marked out the mechanical LSD equipped models so I think both would have it. They both also have the HDD based navigation and the fact that they are Ultrasonic Blue with white leather indicates they are 2010 MY . There has been some discussion here recently regarding cheaper blue one - the wheels are definitely not standard colour.

Edited to add: link to discussion in this topic http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/97074-just-test-drove-a-isf/

Thats what i thought....just odd that both sales guys are wrong especially when they're both telling me they've spoken to Lexus direct to confirm they dont have LSD's fitted.

Also the 2011 Proveeda car has the earlier dash layout (equal sized speedo & rev counter) and no daytime LED running lights so I'm inclined to think that car is a 2010 MY. Just goes to show that the registration is no sure fire way of knowing the model year.

MMmm this is causing me some head scratching as I really want to pull the trigger on one of these!

Yes, the 2011 MY added the DRL for the loss of adaptive front lights and the later instruments with larger tachometer, smaller speedometer and digital speed display.

You can find 2010 MY on 59 plates and possibly even on August 09 plates but likewise 2009 MY on 10 plates.

The thread I added to my original post also states the cheaper of the two blue ones doesn't have FSH.

The Proveeda 2011 car is a 2010 MY then. Shame as I like the look of it but struggling to justify the extra £5k over the cheaper blue one on eBay. I know this one has gone longer between services and has had a non-standard wheel refurb but to be honest I've had enough cars to know that with modern japanese engineering a few thousand miles extra between 2 services isn't necessarily the end of the world.

I could do a hell of a lot of track days and rear tyres with the £5k difference! I think a road trip to both is in order.

So - are we agreed then that both salesmen are wrong and that the blue cars are LSD equipped ??

I'd say they both have mechanical LSDs and the original model (08 and 09) do not have Bluetooth music streaming, only hands free. The 2010 MY gains BT music streaming and DAB radio with the HDD nav system. The wheel refurb is hopefully just an aesthetic issue and you're right, these engines are over engineered, it's something you'll have to weigh up.

There is a 2010 one at Lexus Cardiff for 25k but I don't know the spec. Not on Autotrader yet.

To be honest the LSD was more a marketing act as everyone else offered them. As MrW I tracked mine and no problem at all without one.

To be clear all isf cars have lsd BUT the 2010 models onwards have a mechanical lsd.

If you are a very experienced driver on a track you will notice the difference. Otherwise I find it hard to believe a regular bid could even tell.

Either way you will be happy :)

No the Cardiff car is a gen 1 ISF without the LSD. Shame as I liked the rare red colour.

For me a mechanical LSD is almost essential. I love my RWD track time and have lots of experience of both non, elec and mechanical LSD's to know I need a mechanical one to get the most out of it. My last 5 cars were, Exige S, Exige cup 260, E60 M5, M3 CSL and most recently turbo'd Gt86 (which is now a dedicated track car and a keeper). The Exiges were all about grip, turn in and balance whereas the 350bhp + cars steer as much from the rear as the front wheels hence they need an LSD unless I'm to smoke the inside wheel everywhere and get black flagged (been there and done that!)

Saying all this as with any car I've owned I'll buy my LSF on condition. If a decent '08 car with the right miles, spec and price came up I'd just have to think about changing my heavy right foot driving style :phone: .

I thought it went

MY08 original - electronic diff

MY11 - (2010 reg on) - LsD, blue steering wheel, DAB, HDD, Spider alloys option, UsBlue option

MY12 - as MY11 but with DRL and suspension tweaks and one dial centre dash

Mine is a May2010, has spider alloys, blue steering wheel, DAB, HDD, and definitely has LSD, even though dealer told may they spoke to Japan and it didn't

Dealers know nothing!

If a mechanical LSD is a deal maker, why not buy an earlier 08/09 model, and fit a proper mechanical LSD from Quaife?!

Probably cheaper in the long run??

Whilst I agree Japanese engineering is the best in the world, abuse and neglect will take there toll.

Maybe not at first, but one day something will fail for the poor sod who thought he was getting a bargain. :(

The IS-F isn't the same as the GS450h you bought. These are harder driven cars by their very nature. Proper care and maintenance are a must in my opinion. Missing services will cause damage of some description, just depends how much.

Then that extra £5K will seem worth spending when you need a new engine at closer to £10K! ;)

Best of luck with whatever you decide though fella. :)

We all take our own paths in the end.

Cheers for the comments guys. I'm still thinking about the Proveeda car.

Oh and in other news, the cheaper, same spec blue ISF for sale at the moment was Lexus own press car. I rang the indy dealer to get the reg to speak to Lexus and check rrout the missed service intervals we all know about and the reg didgits seemed familiar. Have a google at all the 2010 ISF reviews by all the usual suspects; Top Gear, Car, Evo, AutoExpress, etc and they all show images of that very car going sideways around different roads all over the UK. What with the overly long service intervals and now his news I've decided it's not worth a punt at any price.

I had the same question six months ago when i changed from my gs450h ! I was told simply if it has the blue insert on steering wheel and dab radio it was updated model with mech lsd. Simples ;-)

But be interested to know how you find the change from gs as it has taken me time to adjust...i even tried enquiring on here how to get the responsiveness of gs at low speed and ability to just put foot down and go like the gs does but alas found its a different type of power deelivery in the isf and cant really get more torque low down the rev range which isnt a bad thing just you got to really use the full rev range, have sport mode on and use the gearbox fully to keep it responsive - and the rewards are definate if you do! But if you dont and your just relaxing and pootling about then its a bit oafish and lumbersome with in normal mode in auto.

Sounds great tho.... Hope you find one and enjoy. I love mine and think its well worth getting the updated model ... For more than just the lsd...the media interface as a whole is sharper in updated models with full postcode sat nav, hdd and dab radio.

Sent from my iPad using Lexus OC

The Apexi theottle controller does give it more poke on initial acceleration. I know this was discussed but on find it really useful. Id be happy for you to give it a go if you ever come to a meet.

Stu

The Apexi theottle controller does give it more poke on initial acceleration. I know this was discussed but on find it really useful. Id be happy for you to give it a go if you ever come to a meet.

Stu

Definately want to come to a meet.. Want to hear an h&s exhaust and see a apex throttle controller. My problem is finding someone i can trust to install the apex controller and also looking at a k&n typhoon cold air kit but again cant find an installer who i see has fitted it , so was hoping to speak to some owners to see who they used to fit. The only simple bit is the h&s exhaust !

Maybe too far but I am organising a meet in Cambridge in April. There is a thread in the meets section.

The Apexi needs special tools that can be bought for cheap but Pete can comment on that. The intake is very easy to fit for anyone, even a monkey like me. H&S system is a blinder. Really makes the car complete for me. I LOVE the sound.

Where in greater London are you chap?

Stu

Maybe too far but I am organising a meet in Cambridge in April. There is a thread in the meets section.

The Apexi needs special tools that can be bought for cheap but Pete can comment on that. The intake is very easy to fit for anyone, even a monkey like me. H&S system is a blinder. Really makes the car complete for me. I LOVE the sound.

Where in greater London are you chap?

Stu

Im in between jct 6 and jct 7 of the M25.

Problem with the meet is that April12th is my sons first birthday and the wife is adamant Im not going anywhere !! So maybe a bit tricky but im hoping the paternity test comes negative.....lol.. Shell kill me if she reads this !

Cambridge isnt a problem as the inlaws are in Kings Cliffe and thats just past Peterboro .

Do you have the tyhoon kit or know of anyone who has it?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links