Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi Guys,

Looking at swapping my 220D for a 250 and was just wondering a couple of things if anyone could clarify for me.

I've read they have a brake binding/seizing issue but on a test how can you tell if its suffering from it? is it as pronounced as pulling to one side under braking? or do you smell it? just wanted to know as it seems like a common issue with not too cheap a fix.

Also I've been looking for a low mileage example and was looking to try and get a 09 area facelift version but apart from the mirror indicators and the back lights what else changed? All the stats look the same. I was wondering if its worth holding out for a newer facelift one or if an older 57/58 will be just as good.

Can anyone tell me what else there is between the 2 models please?

Thanks as always.

Facelift version has..... on my SEL variant

HDD sat nav so no more DVD nav discs. Its updated via USB stick (only done by Lexus though)

Ability to record CD's onto the Hard Disk Drive

Indicators in the wing mirror shell

Wing mirrors retract when the car is locked. Handy to see if you have locked your car from a distance.

Redesigned reversing light bezels

USB port in the armrest. Brill for using my Iphone and Ipod as it charges too.

Anti dazzle rear view mirror....may have been on the earlier version, I'm not sure.

Anti glare wing mirrors.......may have been on the earlier version, I'm not sure.

I'm sure I've missed some others....if I recall them I'll add on later.

Just to clarify Normski's post.

My 2008 SE-L has the anti dazzle rear view mirror and the anti glare wing mirrors.....but none of the other stuff.

Good luck in your search and let us know what you find please.

Thanks guys, my budget is a little tight as I only bought the 220D about 4-5 months ago and blew my savings on that. Looking for a good car, like low mileage and would like an SE-L if I can, want light leather and that's about all really.. its a matter of what I can get in my budget.

I will let you know when I get one :)

What sort of mileage are you looking for? Low mileage means different things to different people, but there are things to look out for based on mileage - for example the spark plugs should be changed at 60k. I'll be selling mine soon, so I'm interested to hear a buyer's point of view.

Regarding the brakes, the calipers need disassembling, the slide pins need to be cleaned of any corrosion and old grease, regreasing and re-inserting. Once a car is old enough to require an MOT I would advise this be checked every year and done anyway every other year or 20,000 miles. The previous owner of mine took it to Lexus and they replaced one caliper, I took all mine apart and did the work as per the TSB last year and had them checked at my MOT a few weeks back.

Stats wise you're correct - performance, efficiency & tax are unchanged.

Thanks for your reply mouser. Low mileage to me means 5-7,000 a year. My current 220d is 27000 on an 09.

So 40-56 for a 2008 and 45-63 for 2007. Mine's at 67, so no interest I'm sure.

Obviously the nearer to 60k it is, the more the spark plug work becomes of interest. The job is quite pricey if you don't DIY, so that's why prices are flat between 55 and ~70k... if buying from a dealer you should try to negotiate it into the price. Since you're looking at lower mileage ones, they will almost certainly have spent more time with the choke engaged (running rich when cold to warm up on a short journey), so this is something I'd advise paying more attention to than normal. Another thing with low mileage cars is to check the age of the tyres, if the car was garaged then it's slightly less of a problem, but I'd not want to be driving around on the original tyres :D. Brake fluid should also have been changed given the age of the vehicle, as water will still be absorbed even if the car is not driven.

Testing for slide pin binding can be done by hand easily enough at the front by turning the wheels to full lock to gain access and feeling for proper movement by hand (check your own for a reference point). The rears are difficult to test without the car being raised, but a mechanical inspection should include this, especially if you ask for it to be included. With brake pads in it's not the most obvious motion, so if you're not comfortable then ask for a mechanics inspection prior to purchase as it is a known issue (although easy to remedy if caught early as it's ~1hr labour).

Be sure to check for whether any coolant has leaked, since that's quite common and I'd expect it to be more age than mileage related. The usual car buying advice of checking for working lights, non-stinky oil, good tyres, tidy panel gaps and no glass cracks apply. Also check the leather seats feel supple with functioning heating/cooling, spare tyre & tools are properly inflated and present, no noises at full lock when maneuvering. It's a very reliable car, but not idiot proof!

thats all well said but at the end of the day a car is only as good as its service history and how it was maintained.

once it has had regular service the is250 is probably as a reliable petrol car you can get.

• 4 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links