Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Just changed my Air filter but a bit puzzled by the fact that the extension part from the circular filter casing does not adequately meet the inlet large plastic section which runs across the radiator.

Trying to figure if there is a part missing or someone has put a wrong part on the car. It should slide into the larger part with a piece of foam on the underside but it barely meets the centre section. Half an inch more would do it but not possible to insert.

OK so, I've had to tape the two together to stop air being sucked from the engine direction into the filter.

Is this a common mis-match of parts or have mine shrunk?

This is very different to my Mk3 cowling arrangement and I can't remember the fix on my Mk1 or Mk2 tbh.

BUT it looks a bit short as you say but also you seem to have two bolt fixing lugs where there aren't any to fix to. maybe you have the incorrect ( or part ) cowling there and someone has changed it for summat just plain wrong.

sorry I can't help

Malc

i have had a look online and i think the parts are all correct - the only thing missing is a bit of foam which should be on the edge of the plastic coming from the air filter box to give a good seal between the 2

i would double check everything and make sure they are sitting in the correct positions

Hi Malc and Mark - - the two lugs holes are for a cover which fits over the parts (you can just see part of it sitting on the centre panel) It slots into the dome one side and then plops down into the two holes. It is the correct size to fit exactly where it should be.

The strip of foam was only as wide as the base of the part i.e. 2cm

i dont think your air intake panel is sitting right

view this video and pause at 7:23

and compare the spacing around the radiator bracket - it looks like your needs to go more to the left therefore solving your problem

hope this helps

The centre part Left Hand Side aligns exactly with the Radiator bolt (as on the video) and if moved to the left, the lug holes would no longer align for the over part.

Also the right hand side of the centre section aligns with the plastic part that covers, and also screws down into the allotted hole.

I'll have to take off the Dome and see if somehow the connector has been forced into it, although I'm sure I would have noticed it when I cleaned it before putting in the new filter. Also it looks like it meets a buffer which you'd expect it to.

Bit of a brain teaser this one.

Braving the bitterly cold wind I have discovered the cause. Alignment is the reason. Found that the Radiator has not been put back correctly as the brackets which fit over the top are slightly twisted. Loosened them off, but the rubber which is supposed to align with the plastic moulding on the top of the radiator - doesn't now as its the only way I can move the air filter centre to the left. The Rad is still clamped, but not as it should be. The far right panel cover is now askew to the centre part owing to the Battery not being correctly positioned. There arn't two lug holes but just one screw hole far end. slightly askew. Boy when you buy a car with a few issues don't you know you've got em!

Will speak to my mechanic who changed the Timing belt as perhaps he had to remove the rad, not that it wasn't like this when I first bought the car because it was. Doh! Bit Worrying this. Lovely car otherwise.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links