Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi,

A little feedback from recent experiance...

My 2004 RX300 SEL has always suffered from considerable road noise since I purchased it 4 years ago. I have gone through several makes of tyres without effect. I even had some wheel bearings replaced at one point.

I have just fitted the last pair of Pirelli SC Verde AS to make a set, and all noise is gone!

It is a different car, I am just so pleased, it now sounds like a Lexus should, silent.

I have the three button fob with the remote built in to the key 'handle' itself. My main key case cracked last year and pretty much fell apart, I glued it but without much success, so I started using the valet key. Monday my partner came home with her key in bits, the key pretty much having parted company with the remote fob.

Now I know Lexus are expensive, and i was bracing myself that I might get one new key for a few hundred pounds. Taking it apart and searching the web it appears key blanks with the case are fairly easy to come by on eBay, but getting the blank cut is another matter.

At this point I came across a guy called Jim Mann in Cheshire who supplies cased blanks cut to the key number or / and a photograph. His eBay listing is here: eBay item number: 371256360980 / his user name is telecommann

I ordered two for the princely sum of £26.50 and they came next day. Just fitted them and perfect. So nice when you get the surprise these days of genuine good service.

So generally pretty chuffed at the moment. Mind you, the other side of the coin is that my old classic Range Rover has been with my mechanic nearly a year now, so I guess life evens itself out!

Thanks for posting this up, just got a replacement blank key today as my grey "valet" key was falling apart, however, swapping the gubbins over I've discovered the Battery has been flat a while :/ so will need to swap in a new one and no doubt recode to the remote central locking?

Fortunately I ordered 5 x replacement batteries on amazon for £3 so they'll turn up any day now.

If I remember correctly, they were Bridgestones, because I think the tyre people told me that they were the only manufacturer that made a tyre to fit the RX400H; almost as if Lexus had made a one off rim size. Now, obviously other makers are doing them. The ones I changed the Bridgestones for are Marangoni Mateo HP SUV's. They have quite a deep cut tread and are slightly noisier (tyre rumble) but were pretty cheap. Less than a £100.00 each. But they grip very well and show no sign of wear after three months.

Are they the cause of worse fuel consumption? I don't know!

My SE-L came with Goodyear Fortura on the front and Dunlop SP Sport on the back.

I eventually decided to put some more Dunlops on the front.

I then tried a complete set of Maxxis MAS2, as I had been quite impressed with them on a Landcruiser we had.

Nothing cured the incessent tyre noise until I went for the Scorpions.

My tyre fitters (a Land Rover dealer) said it was often a problem with air suspension, and causes them problems with Range Rovers.

I have had some uneven tyre wear on the rear, and would anticipate the noise may return as the tyres wear.

I have 5mm of General Grabber UHP's (don't worry, I've never heard of them either!) on the RX at the moment and seem to be quite cheap. Road noise is pretty good from them and not had any problems with grip at normal road speeds, I can't comment on fuel economy tho...

BTW didn't see the posts about Battery changing on the key fobs until I changed them earlier and was pleasantly surprised it all just worked once changed!!

Chris.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your post a great help. I have recently acquired an IS200 which I like very much, however it only has one key and no spare.

What is the best route to follow to get a spare(s). Sounds like having a key programmed can cost a fortune.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links