Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys I'm new here just looking for some advise I have a 1993 ls400 and I have a cracked egr pipe. I've spoken to lexus and Toyota and both have told me the part has been discontinued so I'm a little lost as to where to look don't really want to buy a 2nd hand one incase it is just as bad or close to cracking. Any help would be much appreciated thanks in advance

What a joke?

They should help you source one because what are you supposed to do?

Last year they said I needed new rear brake pipes on my 1997 as they was corroded and told me they was discontinued and told me to go to a indy and bring it back for a check....

Or take it out (not easy) and weld the thing if possible. Just wait for more replys from this forum

Hello Josh and welcome to the LOC. We are a friendly bunch and there are plenty of members that have some incredible knowledge of our beloved LS. Hope you get an answer quickly Mike.

.............. I have read on here before somewhere the EGR pipe can just be taken out / bypassed and blanked off without repurcusions. Also that some models don't actually have the EGR pipe

BUT I don't know that for sure

Steve on here might be a good font of knowledge on this one for you.

Good luck

Malc

I wouldn't pay that for what is essentially a short bit of pipe. Take it off take it down to your nearest exhaust place or blacksmith and get them to make you one. Will probably cost about £20. Or just buy a 2nd hand one. Their is stuff all to it. It's a length of pipe. As long as it doesn't have any cracks or any corrosion hasn't eaten its way through you are good to go.

You could probably get a stainless one made for less than the original mild steel one costs. Won't ever rust then.

• Like 1

You really have 3 choices.

1 Replace the cracked pipe with an OEM new replacement, Amayama is the place to go here.

2 Repair the existing pipe.

3 Delete the EGR system, as Malc mentioned they are not fitted to all models, I have 2 JDM models and neither has EGR and it make no difference what so ever to performance or fuel economy.

Bear in mind the job is a PITA as access is extremely limited, to get close enough long extensions on wobble sockets to actually remove the pipe securing bolts are needed

It is also thought that the reason for the pipe fracturing is due to worn engine mounts allowing the engine to rock excessively so it may be wise to replace these at the same time.

I think Ruud repaired his without special tools a while ago, if you're around Ruud please chime in :)

Ye I may have to do the engine mounts I have heard that may be a problem. I need to do the power steering pump this weekend. And egr maybe next weekend I finally got round to doing the cambelt and water pump recently that was a pita

.............. if you're sorting the power steering pump it might be wise to check out the cooler pipe running in front of the radiator and the mild steel pipes to and fro from the pump itself.

These corrode and might suddenly and catastrophically ( like they did with me ) pee out pas fluid when they go ........... relatively inexpensive fix with a length of the appropriate copper tube for the cooler pipe and flexi hoses replacing the conglomeration of mild steel pipes higher up.

Malc

OK will do it have a look at those pipes amayama has emailed back to say the pipe is discontinued so they can't get hold of one. Was hoping to retain the pipe but may just have to blank it and leave it without is there much to do with the vacuum pipes and such that lead to it or can they all just be bunged and left

As Steve 2006 says the worst part of this job is getting to it.

When I did the usual starter contact replacement job [starter off] it was a bit easier to get to, but be sure you have a good assortment of tools

Longer than normal spanners were a help.

Lucky for me [touch wood] mine was OK.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links