Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Am I Just Too Picky

The main thing I hear in my RX is my keys banging on the dash just under the ignition switch, Im not sure but could this be an annoying problem the car designers have not thought about ? it was the same on my old GS

or am I just too picky, ok a small bit of sticky pad will do the trick or take off all the other keys on my keyring.

Is it just me ?

The way I fixed this, was by having my car key on its own keyring, without any other key.

It is also kinder on your pockets, as once you have parked your car, you only have one key to carry around. Your other keys can stay hidden in the car somwehere.

Incidentally, I read somewhere that the weight of a heavy keyring loaded with keys may eventually damage the ignition barrel... not sure whether there is any truth in it...

You could stick a small but powerful magnet behind the cowling so the keys would stick to it but then you risk marking the plastic.

I'm sure I read somewhere certain models of cars have this feature inbuilt.

Hi DanD,

Yep I remember reading about not having too many keys on the car key ring in the owners manual, as they said that the weight of the keys will damage the transponder/key electrics... Now I don't know if that is true (being that when you change the batteries, you'll see the electronics are housed in a small removable unit inside the key 'head' but would more likely cause the key plastics to break apart, which is commonly reported on the forums!

My Mk1 Key for eight years and over 70K miles had house keys, work keys, shopping trolly token and a Swiss Army knife hanging on it............I had to wait for an idiot to sideswipe my car in the car park and the subsequent visit to the bodyshop for the original key to be broken :megaangry:

They did rattle against the dash at first then I put some furry side adhesive velcro on the handle of the knife and all was silent from then on.

Maybe newer keys are more delicate but mine was built like the car itself, totally reliable :winky:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links