Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Bluetouch Phone Kit

After months of deliberating I bought the Bluetouch Bluetooth multimedia kit and installed it (well mostly) last weekend. Just thought I’d post up a few pics and description of the installation in case anyone is thinking of doing the same thing.

In terms of integration, it wasn’t too difficult, but was more complicated than I was originally anticipating. Main reason was that I knew that the Bluetouch came with standard ISO connectors, and expected this to be able to connect straight to the Autoleads 06-913B which is the custom phone mute for the IS200.

However, for some bizarre reason, the autoleads cable has a nokia 4 pin connector on the end and a simple mono audio jack which started to get me worried about how I could sort this.

Autoleads loom:

300406399.jpg

Bluetouch ISO cable:

300406410.jpg

Big thanks go out to Geoffers here (this is going to become a running theme btw) as he talked me through exactly which wires on each loom need to be connected to each other. For reference of anyone else who decides to do this, the wires on the autoleads mute are as follows:

300406408.jpg

Nokia 4 pin plug:

Yellow: Mute

Blue: Ignition sense

Red: +12V

Black: Ground

Audio jack:

Black with white stripe: loudspeaker +

Black: loudspeaker –

The pins on the Bluetouch’s ISO connector are all labelled in the instructions. Geoff even made me confident enough to get myself a soldering iron and have a go at soldering the wires together, which was quite fun, but probably took a little longer than it should have!

Before all this I thought I’d have a go at the real fun part – removing the connector from the amp behind the glovebox. At first I couldn’t even get in there. I don’t know how people get it off without removing anything.

I ended up having to cut the cable ties holding the loom to the side of the amp, and unbolting the bolts at the top and bottom of the amp (as below):

300406427.jpg

300406451.jpg

300406445.jpg

This allowed me to get my hand back there but the connector still wouldn’t budge at all.

Getting a little fed up, I just decided to use the blunt end of a screwdriver and push on the wiring, and the connector popped straight out! Definitely the way to do it in future.

Once that was done, the rest was pretty straightforward (removing stereo etc. as per Hando’s walkthrough) although I found I didn’t actually need to remove the satnav console from the top of the dash – just detaching it and resting it on top gave me enough room to do what I needed to do. I didn’t have a wrench that would fit to remove the bolts around the stereo and A/C panel but found they could easily be removed with a large screwdriver.

The only extra bit of wiring that was needed was to connect the ignition sense wire from the autoleads loom to the cigarette lighter. Geoffers and I spent a while discussing this as he was convinced there has to be an ignition sense coming through the amp so has to follow through to the autoleads loom and I agreed with him. However, with my lack of knowledge and any form of electronic testing devices we were forced to give up this line of thinking and thanks to Hando’s advice, discovered that it was quite simple to hook it up to the cig lighter socket as in the pics below.

300406439.jpg

300406435.jpg

The console comes up pretty easily by easing a screwdriver into the edge of the chrome surround around the gearstick, as it’s all held down by clips. I masked this up before removing though to ensure no damage to the surround.

Once up, simply pull the cable out of the back of the lighter socket, and hook the wire into the metal connector on the left (the one that doesn’t say 12V on it) and then push the cable back over this.

Then it was simply a case of plugging everything in and ramming it in behind the glovebox (not the neatest solution but there are no rattles and I need to get behind there again when my gromaudio input finally arrives to add the audio support.

300406414.jpg

300406427.jpg

A pic of the test run with everything connected up:

300406484.jpg

300406473.jpg

iPod cable in glovebox:

300406458.jpg

Display unit:

300406455.jpg

300406454.jpg

The display unit and microphone are the only items I’m not entirely sure about at the moment so they’re not actually fixed down yet. I like the screen being there as it’s quite hidden so it’s less of a target to thieves, but it would be more easy to use if up high, maybe over the vent using a dashclip. Will have to see how it goes for a few weeks and then decide where to mount it permanently.

If anyone has any ideas with regard to good mounting positions, or other mounting devices I may not have heard of, I’d be most grateful to consider new options.

The microphone is also quite low at the moment, next to the gearstick, which seems to work fine, except that it seems I need to speak up when driving at speed – going to try moving this to the A/C console or something to see if the volume improves.

All in all, it was pretty easy to install and I’m really impressed with the device itself. The sound quality is very impressive, puts the OEM stuff in our other cars to shame. Also I’ve not come across another Bluetooth device that integrates so easily. There have been no connection problems, and my entire phonebook is in the device straight away – doesn’t need to be sent across, it simply reads the phone. My only gripe is that it sorts names by Surname, Firstname and I can’t find a way to change it but it’s not the biggest problem in the world.

In terms of audio, your choices are endless! You can connect an iPod, you can play tracks off an SD card, you can hook up any music player with a 3.5mm jack, you can play music via the USB slot using a USB memory key or hard drive, or you can play music wirelessly via Bluetooth. I think that should have me covered......... :whistling:

I’d highly recommend it to anyone who’s thinking of fitting a Bluetooth kit.

Have to say thanks to Hando for pointing me in the right direction of the autoleads mute, and for advice along the way, and huge, huge thanks to Geoffers who practically talked me through the entire installation from start to finish before I even got anywhere near the car. There’s no way I could have done this without his help and I’m really grateful for it :)

If anyone has any questions, please fire away!

Good job there fella well done.

As for positioning.

I positioned my Mic on the top of the A pillar. Run it up the inside then it velcros to the top.

For the display, how about one of these? Clicky

I've got one with my phone holder on and its a good bit of kit, fits nicely.

Stav

Good job there fella well done.

As for positioning.

I positioned my Mic on the top of the A pillar. Run it up the inside then it velcros to the top.

For the display, how about one of these? Clicky

I've got one with my phone holder on and its a good bit of kit, fits nicely.

Stav

Cheers, do you think the mic works better above your head then rather than in front of you? Hence why I was thinking it might be best to put it near the hazard warning switch - I'll have to try both positions then and see which works best.

I did look at the dashmount, but thought it would still be out of easy reach when driving so may as well leave it down low which is out of sight to thieves. I'm still considering the dashclip (off the same site) as this would get it in my eye line, but not sure how obvious it would become to people looking in from outside.........the number of tomtoms that get stolen nowadays, don't want to make it too obvious!

fantastic looking kit. ive just got a parrot in mine that connected straight up between the iso and head unit. Your's looks a little more complex but worth it!

Thanks, didn't end up being that complex in the end, just a little bit of soldering - all thanks to Geoffers though, for telling exactly which wires needed to be connected up! Definitely worth it, can't wait for the aux in to arrive so I can get the audio hooked up as well :)

Smart piece of kit. Does it display the playlists from the ipod or do you still have to scroll the lists with the ipod itself?

I don't actually own an iPod (yet!) but from the instructions and their website it appears to be total iPod control - simply leave the device in the glovebox and forget about it!

Couldn't find a picture of the ipod control, but it's very similar to this pic of playing off an SD card, so gives you the same options:

btschraegeansicht.jpg

Brilliant job, and very well explained with the pics. Your car looks like it just came from the showroom!

Thanks mate :)

Just found a solution to my initial problem, there's been a new software update to the device that now lets you search for names in the phonebook rather than have to scroll through and also now informs you when you have an SMS (won't let you read it for obvious reasons, but would be nice if it would read it out like TomToms do.......maybe in the next software update :whistling: )

That looks like a really nice bit of kit - glad you sorted it all out. I like the unit where you've got it - reckon the vent-holder would make it look a little out of place (although it would obviously be easier to use)

Once you get that gromaudio adapter you'll be laughing. I'm guessing that if you use SD or other inputs through the Bluetouch the sound will only play in the front speakers?

(thought the autoleads cable only goes to the front speakers - at least it does with my phone audio)

That looks like a really nice bit of kit - glad you sorted it all out. I like the unit where you've got it - reckon the vent-holder would make it look a little out of place (although it would obviously be easier to use)

Once you get that gromaudio adapter you'll be laughing. I'm guessing that if you use SD or other inputs through the Bluetouch the sound will only play in the front speakers?

(thought the autoleads cable only goes to the front speakers - at least it does with my phone audio)

Nope the audio and phone are separate outputs on the bluetouch's control unit. So the autoleads mute is only plugged into the phone part. The audio part is a separate connection which will just go straight into the headunit via the gromaudio box - so will play through all speakers like your ipod does for example.

Nope the audio and phone are separate outputs on the bluetouch's control unit. So the autoleads mute is only plugged into the phone part. The audio part is a separate connection which will just go straight into the headunit via the gromaudio box - so will play through all speakers like your ipod does for example.

aha - gotcha - even better then.

Hope that gromaudio bit turns up for you soon then.

Just a quick update, I only realised today that the way this loom works, everytime the satnav speaks, it mutes the phone - which doesn't bother me too much, but could annoy some people so just to warn anyone who's thinking of getting it.........

Also realised today (on the first reasonably bright day since I installed it) that with the screen where it is I can't actually see it in the bright light! :shutit:

It's def gotta move.........if anyone has any other alternatives from the dashmount or dashclip I'd love to hear it, otherwise I'll just have to pick one and give it a go :)

Any help on fitting a basic nokia bluetooth kit to the HD

It should all be plug and play if it takes the nokia connectors as in this pic:

Yep that's the way I've got mine working - Nokia CK7W. Plug'n'play.

good info, pics & write up matey :D

Cheers mate :)

Quick update, gromaudio adapter arrived last week (with an additional £12 customs charge :tsktsk: ) but fitted over the weekend and all is working great. There's a very slight hiss from the adapter I'd assume, but you can only hear it when no music is playing so doesn't bother me.

Audio quality via an SD card is excellent, sounds just like playing a CD. Via Bluetooth is ok but I think the phone is the limiting factor here. I've never been very impressed with the sound quality on my W950, and putting it through a proper sound system has only accentuated these issues. It's decent, but if you're fussy about audio, the difference is quite significant and the volume is very low..........

All in all the kit is working perfectly - just need to try plugging a USB hard drive in to see if that works well, alternatively might need to invest in an ipod as it seems a waste to not utilise the cable in my glovebox and the excellent UI on the bluetouch......... :whistling:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links