Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking to buy 400h

Hi guys

i am looking to buy my first Lexus and am considering a 400h SE-L. I would be buying used and for my budget would probably looking at the 06-08 age range. Can anyone advise on any pitfalls of problems inherent with this model and age and any things I need to look out for and avoid when looking.

Thanks

Just

Hi Justin and welcome to the LOC, we are a friendly bunch and some of us even know how to pull them to bits and put them back together again, with of course the one bolt and washer left over.

I cant help with your present queries but I'm sure someone will be along ASAP.

We recommend you spend a couple of mins looking over the rules of the LOC, we will be asking questions later

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/terms-conditions/

Regards Mike.

Hi Justin,

There's been a couple of similar questions posted over the last two weeks in this (RX) section of the forum. Please could I recommend you have a read of what's already been posted and come back and add to this post anything you'd like further clarification on.

Chris.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Justin.s said:

Hi guys

i am looking to buy my first Lexus and am considering a 400h SE-L. I would be buying used and for my budget would probably looking at the 06-08 age range. Can anyone advise on any pitfalls of problems inherent with this model and age and any things I need to look out for and avoid when looking.

Thanks

Just

Avoid the air suspension i.e dont go for the SE-L. Its well known to play up. Sticky brake calipers and corroding wheels and leaking sunroofs. Make sure it look OK and works OK. Check the exhaust for corrosion. Apart from that not much really.

6 hours ago, rayaans said:

Avoid the air suspension i.e dont go for the SE-L. Its well known to play up. Sticky brake calipers and corroding wheels and leaking sunroofs. Make sure it look OK and works OK. Check the exhaust for corrosion. Apart from that not much really.

Go for the se-l , the Rx400h does not have air suspension only the RX300  I have one and its brilliant, all the extra,s including DVD screens. Just look for corrosion on the wheels ( signs of bubbling) and on the underside of the roof rails other wise just get one with full service history you won,t regret it. Wheels will cost you around £50 a wheel to get powdercoated I also had my roof rails done so all sorted.

11 minutes ago, lurch said:

Go for the se-l , the Rx400h does not have air suspension only the RX300  I have one and its brilliant, all the extra,s including DVD screens. Just look for corrosion on the wheels ( signs of bubbling) and on the underside of the roof rails other wise just get one with full service history you won,t regret it. Wheels will cost you around £50 a wheel to get powdercoated I also had my roof rails done so all sorted.

I didnt know that - learn something new every day! SE-L shouldnt be a problem then as the air suspension is the main issue!

On 2/5/2016 at 6:17 PM, Justin.s said:

Hi guys

Thanks

Just

Front lower control arm bushes, leaking seals on tailgate lights letting water accumulate around the hybrid batteries under the boot floor, stuck rear brake caliper pins, water pump leaks. Generally a reliable car but most issues will cost a lot to fix. Check that the inverter recall work has been done if necessary. Expensive services due at 60K and 100K miles.

• Like 1

You may want to consider an Executive Limited Edition, which is fully loaded, including the Mark Levinson sound system, but excluding the rear entertainment system (DVD player + headrest mounted screen). This was the outgoing edition before the 450h came out, typically on a 58/09 plate.

As posted above, the 100k service is expensive as it includes a cambelt change (and often a water pump change). Also check that the Battery (not the hybrid Battery pack is fairly recent). Problems with the Battery are well documented throughout this forum.

I would recommend buying from a dealer and paying for the extended warranty, and to make sure you test the car and all its gadgets. If not from a dealer, make sure you buy from a reputable garage with a good warranty. Note that Lexus offer cheaper service plans for cars over 5 years old.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gliderpilot said:

I heard that Lexus don't include a cambelt change in the cost of the 100k service, a recent policy change maybe. Perhaps some Lexus service guy on here could clarify!

http://d3rvezpmgp265q.cloudfront.net/lexusone/lexgben/Lexus-Full-plus-100-Service-Summary_tcm-3066-418955.pdf?_ga=1.173523681.390821457.1454536791

Thats the Full +100 service.

Timing belt is shown but it has an asterisk saying additional charges may apply. Depends on the dealer I guess as it isnt a straight "yes you will be charged"

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links