Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Roaring sound when braking or turning

My is250 has developed a roaring sort of sound when turning the steering wheel and exactly the same noise when hitting the brakes. It's much louder when coming to a stop.

The cars only done 25k so I doubt the wheel bearings have gone. Could it be the brake pads or disks or even the power steering. 

Any ideas?

It's definitely not the exhaust. The noise is definitely louder the slower I drove. 

Only had the car 3 months and seriously regretting buying it. Had a variety of problems with my previous is220d and now have a problem already with the is250.

4 minutes ago, peachy said:

I bought the car from an independent garage. The 3 month warranty has now expired. 

I'm hoping it's the brake pads but passed mot 4 months ago with no mention of low brake pads.

I've a feeling it's a seized caliper. 

A sticking caliper is an easy fix and easy to know if that is the problem. I would call that a screeching sound myself. 

Go for a small drive and touch the wheels hottest one is faulty one. Failing that jack the car up and turn each wheel in turn. Brakes can go anytime,

Have the pads worn to nothing and are discs scored or blue??

• Like 1

16 hours ago, peachy said:

Free brake check 😅😅😅 I'm sorry to say sir but you need new discs and pads all round at a price of £500 please.

Did Halfords tell you that?

Seriously - get another opinion.

£500  ... ???  Easily done yourself for around £250 if what they have told you is correct - cant see that though as the MOT station should have indicated worn discs - at least an advisory on them..as they wont wear down that much in 4 months since the MOT

Put your reg no in the link below and that will indicate if its had any issues such as advisories on discs in the past and will give you a good indication if it could be the discs from when they were last changed (if it is shown that is)

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

It could even be something simple as a stone lodged in between the disc and the caliper or the dust plate

Is200 newbie not been to Halfords but that's what they probably would tell me.

Anyway I've been to a local independent garage this morning and the problem is that an objet such as a stone had got lodged causing front disc damage.

I've been quoted £235 for new front discs and pads. Is this a good price?

Not a bad price fitted.... depending if you're not fussy over any specific pads & discs.

From memory I think Lexus starts at £295 if your IS is + 5 years old.

If your thinking of getting it done might be worth asking them to strip the Cali pets and grease the pins for what little extra it would cost.... a good investment for sure.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, peachy said:

Is200 newbie not been to halfords but that's what they probably would tell me.

Anyway I've been to a local independent garage this morning and the problem is that an objet such as a stone had got lodged causing front disc damage.

I've been quoted £235 for new front discs and pads. Is this a good price?

Fitted, that's pretty average price - not a lot of time needed to replace these.

I've booked it in for Friday.  They did show me the disc and it was in a poor condition. At least I won't need to worry about the brakes for a few years to come.

Madasahatter I don't have the tools to do the job and would not know where to start. I'm certainly not going to start messing with the brakes with no experience.  Would rather pay extra and let the experts do the job.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, peachy said:

I've booked it in for Friday.  They did show me the disc and it was in a poor condition. At least I won't need to worry about the brakes for a few years to come.

If its going in make sure they grease the slide pins, or you may not be out of the woods.

11 minutes ago, peachy said:

I will mention greasing up the pins to them but would have thought they did that anyway when fitting new brakes.

If lexus main dealers do not do it , do not take it for granted others do to. I am not having ago its well documented on the forum.

I do mine twice a year november and then in march, when winter tyres go on and then off again. 

£235 for new discs and pads is not bad really. I paid £259 for new rear discs and pads on my previous is220d. I paid nearly  £300 for the fronts on a mercedes E220 a couple of years ago. 

I recently had my 250 serviced at toyota and they told me these cars literally eat front discs and to expect replacement every 25-30k. 

10 hours ago, Rebecca said:

£235 for new discs and pads is not bad really. I paid £259 for new rear discs and pads on my previous is220d. I paid nearly  £300 for the fronts on a mercedes E220 a couple of years ago. 

I recently had my 250 serviced at toyota and they told me these cars literally eat front discs and to expect replacement every 25-30k. 

Wasn't aware the 250 ate discs, I'm on 40,000 miles and still original discs and original front pads.

Does it not depend on the style of driving?

I'm a "take your foot off the accelerator" kind of guy, let the car slow down, rather than a pedal hopper.

Would I be better off getting the disc resurfaced?  The one disc is pitted due to a stone getting wedged in the caliper but was told there is still plenty of life left in the pads and discs and will easily pass the next 2 mot tests. The only problem I'm having is a rubbing noise when I press the brake. 

Should I change the brakes or just live with the noise. Can hardly hear it anyway with radio on.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links