Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

inverted gear knob is the only Mod! - I like it jamboo :) ROFLMAO

Jamboo...I have just discovered another topic of yours re: Interior mods on the IS250

Having now read this, (and seen the pics) I realise that your signature stating "Inverted gear knob" is actually a "true story" :excl:

There was I, thinking that it was your sense of humour, reflecting on the abysmal fuel consumption figures that you are experiencing. Someone in the factory fitted the knob upside down and you are actually driving down the M69 in First gear !! No wonder the figures are c**p :D :D

So - first of all apologies mate :winky:

- second - I will take on board the lesson learned - read all the new posts before replying :hehe:

- third - Hope the figures improve

- fourth - maybe you ARE in 1st instead of top :whistling: :D

- Finally.....told you you should have got the Petrol instead of the oiler :P

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The passenger electric window switch illumination goes off when the driver locks the passenger electric windows.

Also, the driver can't open or close the passenger windows once locked, which seems a bit odd :unsure:

The light on the illuminated sun visor only comes on when there's a good chance that you can see your face in the mirror. Push it too far one way or the other and the light goes off.

inverted gear knob is the only Mod! - I like it jamboo :) ROFLMAO

Jamboo...I have just discovered another topic of yours re: Interior mods on the IS250

Having now read this, (and seen the pics) I realise that your signature stating "Inverted gear knob" is actually a "true story" :excl:

There was I, thinking that it was your sense of humour, reflecting on the abysmal fuel consumption figures that you are experiencing. Someone in the factory fitted the knob upside down and you are actually driving down the M69 in First gear !! No wonder the figures are c**p :D :D

So - first of all apologies mate :winky:

- second - I will take on board the lesson learned - read all the new posts before replying :hehe:

- third - Hope the figures improve

- fourth - maybe you ARE in 1st instead of top :whistling: :D

- Finally.....told you you should have got the Petrol instead of the oiler :P

Thanks, Mate! I can confirm that my cogs are in the right way, the Missu's thinks I've lost a few screws, so the cogs are rattling around, but that is another story! You're right about the 250, a part of me thinks that could have been a good choice, especially with that delicious Auto box. may be next time... :blush:

Back to topic - did you know, the car has a class leading CD of 0.27? At Leic Lexus the floor was so clean that you could see the underneath of the car, almost mirror like floor. It is astonishingly tidy under neath. All crevises etc are well covered up, and the car is ver flat. It really impresses when you start cruising at motorway speeds.

There are lots of horror stories about the Diesel engine. You have to remember that this is diesel, so NVH should be expected. NVH is not there at all below 4000 revs in a warm engine, unless you labour it badly.

The engine is a bit clattery at startup on a cold morning, but once it starts to warm up, it really is impressive. Most of the time it gives a syrupy growl, more akin to a petrol V6. ...As Scott has mentioned it does not like being rushed, but if you have a relaxed driving style, it rewards you with a good "feel", impressive refinement and masses of torque. That torque means you can leave most petrol engined car's in your wake up hills, overtaking etc.

I actually think it is at least as good as the 320d. Beemer is only better towards that red line...but it's not as quick.

The gearing too, which to me seemed low, is fine and you get used to it in no time, though I have only gone into 6th once...just to make sure it was there and they'd put the cog in ;)

Other than the boring looking plasticky gear surround and the poor economy, I really have nothing to criticise about the car. As other's have said, she makes me smile each time I go near her...

Even if the economy thing is not sorted, I am content for now; Those heathed seats are very quick to warm tyour behind on crisp mornings(First time I've had heated seats).

The car encourages double takes from BMW and Mercedes owners, that's the best bit about it...

Old IS drivers tilt their heads and look it "up and down" with the "I love your car" look about their person

Jag X type drivers take one long look, then glance away and the snooty body langauge says "Mines a Jag" (but I know it's a Mondeo)

AND just like the Audi, people always let you in at junctions and lane merges...no matter what they drive!

So am I happy I bought a Lexus, you bet! Do I regret it? Not a chance!

You can make custom POIs and assign them a sound that plays when the car approaches. They can evan be directional so the sound only plays if the car approaches from a certain direction.

I've marked on the map my local safety cameras :D

did you know..

You can turn off all electronic nanny-s (except ABS) and hit the track hard by doing the following:

1. Make sure the car is in Park and the parking brake is disengaged before you start the car.

2. Start the engine.

3. Engage the parking brake.

4. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.

5. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.

6. Disengage the parking brake.

7. Fully depress and hold down the brake pedal.

8. Engage the parking brake, then disengage it (while holding down the brake pedal).

9. Engage the parking brake, then disengage it (while holding down the brake pedal).

10. Release the brake pedal.

11. Engage the parking brake.

12. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.

13. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.

skid light on dash comes on and all nanny-s are disabled

It will go back to original every time you turn the car off.

You have 30 seconds to do this once you turned the car on.

Yes DownSouth. The dimmer dial clicks like a switch at the point of change. Took me a week to figure out why the Sat-Nav didn't go to night mode when I switched the headlights on at night.

Why does the manual not mention this, it mentions the Night Mode but not how to switch it on. I tried it out for the first time yesterday and it looks fantastic. It might be worth knowing for new owners of the MM as when I got mine I actually found the screen at night too bright but have now got used to it.

Did you know SEL (not sure if this is on other models) has a pollution sensor that switches aircon from recirc to external air depending on outside pollution levels.

You can change the sensitivity when stationary buy holding the recirc external switch.

I also noticed that the pollution sensor does not seem to work when it is less than 4 degrees C. You can tell because you start to get awful exhaust fume smells in the car when it is not working.

Did you know SEL (not sure if this is on other models) has a pollution sensor that switches aircon from recirc to external air depending on outside pollution levels.

You can change the sensitivity when stationary buy holding the recirc external switch.

I also noticed that the pollution sensor does not seem to work when it is less than 4 degrees C. You can tell because you start to get awful exhaust fume smells in the car when it is not working.

The Diesel does not have this feature (it would be on all of the time ;) )

All others do I believe

Yes DownSouth. The dimmer dial clicks like a switch at the point of change. Took me a week to figure out why the Sat-Nav didn't go to night mode when I switched the headlights on at night.

Why does the manual not mention this, it mentions the Night Mode but not how to switch it on. I tried it out for the first time yesterday and it looks fantastic. It might be worth knowing for new owners of the MM as when I got mine I actually found the screen at night too bright but have now got used to it.

Guys - I found it does this when 2 things happen:

1) The knob is not "clicked" full on (the dimmer that is) and is in Dimmer mode

2) The light outside falls to "light up" times. I've noticed this twice now. Even when the auto lights come on, the screen will not go into night mode until the street lights come. So there must be a sensor or a "Almanac" in the clocking sourced through the GPS clock... My Dell PDA/Portable SatNav does this too....

I'm noticing that forward visibility is a bit naff. The pillars are wide and steeply raked...

"close encounters of the Lex kind"...

I almost knocked over a young lady getting into her LS430 the other day in a car park!! I just did not see her at all 'cos the "A" post obscured the vision completely...

I now end up looking around the pillars....getting paranoid!

I'm noticing that forward visibility is a bit naff. The pillars are wide and steeply raked...

"close encounters of the Lex kind"...

I almost knocked over a young lady getting into her LS430 the other day in a car park!! I just did not see her at all 'cos the "A" post obscured the vision completely...

I now end up looking around the pillars....getting paranoid!

I crane my neck round the pillars to see out too

Did you know the following sequence will put your Lexus IS 250 into pampered mode:

1) Get out of the car

2) Stand and stare at car

3) Get in the car

4) Sit and start at car

5) Get out of the car

6) Pay man money for full valet

7) Stand and stare at car

8) Stand and stare at car

9) Stand and stare at car

10) Get in car

11) Sit and smell the cleanness

12) Sit and look around car

13) Smile

14) Start engine and admire clocks

15) Select a good compilation MP3 CD

16) Drive away relaxed, smiling and content

:winky: Your car is now in Pampered Mode. To revert to pampered mode you follow the same sequence.

P.S Thought a guy was having a stroke in his new Lexus IS250 the other day. He was flaying his arms and his legs seemed to be going up and down as if in fit. Turns out he was just trying the handbrake/foot brake sequence to disable his nanny settings.... :duh: At the same time he kept shouting "I'm Hungry" and the car kept saying "Displaying border crossings", "Displaying Ice Rinks". He did seem very red in the face :P

Hey Jamboo. Nice pickup trick and she was in a LS430. Must have a bit of money. But you should have picked one in a SC430. :lol::lol::lol:

Also, and the lights and Sat-Nav night mode, when you put your lights on Auto, they will come on when the light gets down to whatever Lexus have setup in the lightmeter. At the same time, the Sat-Nav will switch to Night Mode, if you have set it up to do so. That is, have the Dimmer switch set correctly and on the "Display" screen, have setup for Night Mode.

Hey Jamboo. Nice pickup trick and she was in a LS430. Must have a bit of money. But you should have picked one in a SC430. :lol::lol::lol:

Also, and the lights and Sat-Nav night mode, when you put your lights on Auto, they will come on when the light gets down to whatever Lexus have setup in the lightmeter. At the same time, the Sat-Nav will switch to Night Mode, if you have set it up to do so. That is, have the Dimmer switch set correctly and on the "Display" screen, have setup for Night Mode.

... :lol: she snarled at me and I got scared. I'm a married man so not interested...and it was at work! Could have been the boss's wife... :o

Did you know that the car actually gets quieter the faster you go...I accidentally went to 2300rpm in sixth...to see when the rear view mirror would stop vibrating in sixth ('cos the car actually labours in sixth...at motorway licence losing speeds) :duh:

It became deathly silent...I took one look at the speedo and threw the anchor out...this car is a serious licence loser!

It became deathly silent...I took one look at the speedo and threw the anchor out...this car is a serious licence loser!

I'm working late nights at the moment and then doing a 60 mile motorway trip back home. I love how quiet it is as you cruise home, eerily quiet! Also noticed how easy it is to go in fifth from 75 to licence losing speeds in no time at all.

And, I'm now getting 42 mpg :) :), but I don't have my car share mates and their gear with me.

:) Back to the "Did you know" , someone please tell me if this is true ?

I was in my local dealer on Saturday, having a moan, or should I say waiting to have a moan when I overheard a potensial IS250 buyer remark on the size of the boot and the fact he would have no problems getting his golf clubs in the back, to which the salesmen replied "Actually the boot on this was designed around 2 sets of golf clubs to ensure they would fit"

Not sure if it swung the sale :D

I was in my local dealer on Saturday, having a moan, or should I say waiting to have a moan when I overheard a potensial IS250 buyer remark on the size of the boot and the fact he would have no problems getting his golf clubs in the back, to which the salesmen replied "Actually the boot on this was designed around 2 sets of golf clubs to ensure they would fit"

so 90 litres smaller than an A4 or 3 series is OK? :huh:

I hope they walked out!

1972pixie. Not sure if 2 bags would fit.

There was a nice new Lexus golf bag in my boot when I picked up my car :) , and it fitted easily. Two sets should be ok, but might have a problem fitting anything else.

so 90 litres smaller than an A4 or 3 series is OK? :huh:

I hope they walked out!

The salesman must definitely be a subscriber of "Salesman's Spin Monthly" a publication designed to enhance the "customer would like to hear" training already received :D :D

Has anyone spotted what appears to be a sensor in the Drivers ashtray??

Try ejecting it and have a look. There is a clear window in the Ashtray (right hand side), and what looks like a sensor inside the console on the left of the lighter socket.

Surely its not to tell you your ashtray is full?? Or is it some form of new fire alarm :blink:

Has anyone spotted what appears to be a sensor in the Drivers ashtray??

Try ejecting it and have a look. There is a clear window in the Ashtray (right hand side), and what looks like a sensor inside the console on the left of the lighter socket.

Surely its not to tell you your ashtray is full?? Or is it some form of new fire alarm :blink:

I would guess the "sensor" is probably a light (bulb or LED) and the window is to let the light into the actual ashtray.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links