Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

It is loud - it doesn't matter that the bonnets closed, the noise is still there just not audible.

Lexus do stamp ... Lexus should hold the service details if there was one done for the car else how can they assess at what stage the service record of the car is up to other than making the assumption from the cars mileage - there is an issue with siome dealers not giving the information out (the nearest dealer to myself, Chester, wouldn't) I think I have read on the forum that there was an issue at some point with their records but cant be sure. Find the previous owner details then look for their local dealer. Chances are it would have been serviced there (if at all) and you may stand a better chance of getting the info from them rather than any dealer not associated with the car.

From your description it does sound like its been abused and should not have passed any MOT especially with what looks like seized brakes and water in the lights. It sounds like classic neglect for all that can go wrong on this car if not looked after ..

Brakes - they need to be inspected at least once a year especially the rear ones as they are prone to seizing (I check and grease both front and rear on mine every 6 months to ensure they are ok and haven't had an issue since doing this) This is a job you can do yourself - there is a chance that you can free the calipers if they are seized but if not then there are easily replaced but will cost (approx. £100 per corner non OEM or around £300 OEM) Pads can be done at around £40 for a set of rears but remember there are brake shoes on these also which are located inside the disc - due to the neglect on the car I would strongly advise checking these and also the state of the rear discs) FRONTS - not that prone to seizing but all the same they need greasing, again at the same interval as the rears as it will eliminate any further issues. Also check the pads and the state of the discs. Discs will slide off when the front calipers are removed.

The warning on the sat nav is user input - you can set dates on the system as reminders of when or servicing work needs doing so you can remove this and update as nessesary - the user manual will describe how to do this but its easy to do through I think the 'info' button on the head unit.

Air conditioning - a bit more worrying - need to know the issues with whats going on (more info)

Fog lamps will fail with water in them - you can find these on eBay for between 40 and 80 £'s

The engine cover poppers in the bay do pop out and do a runner so just buy some more and replace - approx. £4 on eBay. The main engine cover catch does break off it removed or replaced too many times - a lot of people leave if off so any issues with the engine can be spotted early - if all the plastic covers are there then they are easy to put back on using the poppers - let me know if you need a picture to locate them. I would leave them off for the time being so you can check out a few areas easier before they are put back on.

Coolant - your car is at the mileage stage where the water pumps fail - not saying it is going to (mines still good at 85k) but its a good indication that its on its way out if the coolant level is low or a better indication is a white crust around the coolant expansion bottle area and around the belt pullys below the tank.

Air Filter - checking this is easier with the plastic covers off - chances are it will need to be replaced

Other than the fluid levels then theres no other real issues with anything under the plastic covers - sensors will go that are located in the engine bay but you have no indication that these have already been replaced so take that one as it comes.

Fuse box cover is independent from the main engine covers - why would anyone remove this and leave it off - the cover is supposed to protect the fuses and relays from water and moisture - get this done ASAP due to the cost of replacing anything that water damage into the fuse box can cause.

The wheels are notorious for corroding - its not a new issue or any issue that's specific to this model as it is associated to the brand from around 1999 and is still apparent on the later cars so its perceivable someone has tried to clean / refurb them doing a bad job.

Tyres seem to be an owners choice - I have just purchased a set of Avons for the fronts at £63 each (mine are 17's) but you want to also get the alignment checked to see what's going on as to why they are wearing - possible wrong tyre pressures (these have high pressures I think its 35 on the front and 38 on the back)

The sound is definitely your injectors - an oil change will not cure this the only way to quieten them would be to replace them

Which leads to another task - make sure you do an oil change, best to know it has been done rather than guessing - if it has been mistreated then you don't know what oil has been used - better to start from scratch and get the proper stuff in from the start.

AA majority of these issues can be resolved yourself to keep the cost down - I would imagine you would be looking at 3k for all this work if putting it into a dealer - around 600 if you are confident in doing it yourself.

If you are still using it then I would get the brakes / fuse cover done ASAP / oil change / fluid check takes 5 mins

thanks is200. I haven't bought the car yet. his asking price is 6500 but he says will well fix a few things including air conditioning.

I will need to rest of the stuff myself and I am applying doing that. the car has seen neglect. do you think it is worth the buy ?

I will replace the injectors anyway. I don't like unknown sounds.

Sorry ... I thought you had bought it.

In that case steer clear of it - there are others out there

The price is too dear and you don't know what else could be up with it.

Steer clear

id say the same, walk on

too much crap wrong with it.

a is250 should have a very quiet engine, mine just ticks along like a cat purring, they all should

ah sad... it's exctly what I wanted to find is250 sport... and I am still tempted if he lowers the price.

But for now I will wait and see ... I hope I find something good . I dream about lexus.

Seriously .... he would need to lower is price by half in order to make it a car to consider and even then knowing the faults and condition then I would not touch it.

There are quite a few SR's for sale, just look through Autotrader or eBay for a comparison. eg a 2009 model for sale at the moment for £5485 with others ranging up to £7k

You are going to be in a whole world of pain if you buy this - its a lemon, walk away ...

this is what confuses me:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/articles/2008/05/cars/lexus/is/sporty-new-lexus-is-250-sr-announced

SR model is based on the IS 250 Sport, but Lexus claims it adds £3,500 of equipment while costing just £1,000 more than the Sport.

For those who want an even sportier look, 18-inch 5-spoke alloy wheels are available as an extra.

Inside, features include 10 airbags, climate control, cruise control, keyless entry and engine start and LED interior lighting.

Sporty touches include aluminium scuff plates bearing the Lexus brand name, and pedals with a racy design.

Heated front seats and a leather covered sports steering wheel and gear lever are also fitted as standard.

The Lexus IS 250 SR is available in black, grey and silver and it goes on sale from 19 May for £24,990 with a manual gearbox and £25,800 with an automatic.

Normally the press just quote Lexus - annoying sometimes that they don't try and make an effort but in this case the author went off-script and got it completely wrong.

The correct wording should have been:

The IS 250 SR is designed to deliver some of the sporting allure of the IS F and IS 250 Sport at a high value price. Based on the entry-level IS 250, the new model is packed with features that have a combined customer value of more than £3,500, yet the price tag is less than £1,000 greater model-for-model.

Official press release attached

sporty-new-lexus-is-250-sr-turns-on-the-heat-for-summer.pdf

also what has it to do with oil change ? isn't this injector sound that everyone is complaining about for is250?

and isn't the fix to just redo the injectors or just replace them ?

hello, oil is the only thing lubricating moving parts in the engine.

Neglected oil changes cause havoc with a cars engine.

Thanks again All.

The lexus I hope to buy must have HID, auto wipers , ML navigation system, Body Kit and adjustable electric sterring and seats., auto gearbox with shift peddle. Nice to have will be 18 inch rims, sports suspension and low profile. no later than 2008. Ideal one will have lexus scuff plate's and sport seats (don't care much about leather). Makes me run out of option.

Reason being I have a mazda and it has some of these features and I do not wish to downgrade.

Question: How many miles is too many miles on the clock if it has full service history ?

How many miles should I have limit... I have a limited budget so initially I was looking at another below 90,000 miles. Now I see a car with 155000 miles sel with spec I like. is that too much ?

Look after them and they are reliable - more than other brands.

That's a bit too many miles but would be a bargaining point to bring the price down (which was ??) but don't forget re-selling it when you want to change - dealers / traders will not recognise the fact its a reliable car and mark it way down the scale. If you are unfortunate to write it off, forget about the car value as again it will be valued way down the scale.

It also depends on how many miles you do in a year ...

Ideally you need to look for something around 80k - its had the major jobs done at that mileage - ask around on the forum and I will bet other members have mileages around this bracket - mines on 85k (bought at 70k) I have looked after it and it still drives good, not like new, but better than some of the newer other brands out there.

£6-7000 should get you a decent 06/07 model SE-L - take your time to find the right one and don't be afraid to travel to see it if it looks good.

• 2 weeks later...

guys on my way to see a full spec lexus. It's prices high I think.

What should be the price range for a 2009 SE-L ?

Any tips on lowering the price and also anything I should look for... Thanks again.

Can only base information on this if you let us know the factors that would determine the rough price range of the car...

Whats the price?

Whats the mileage?

Whats the condition?

Full service history?

Also depends a bit on what plate its on?

A good condition low miler with full service history ... around £7500 - £8000 ish at a guess

thanks all. I will start another thread as I have went off the main subject line

Conclusion for this thread is SR online has body kit and nothing more. it can have ML audio and 18inch but one needs to confirm as these can be optional.

SE-L is top spec but there can be many optional things.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links