Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Top Gear - Chris Evans Confirmed

Chris Evans has been confirmed as the new TG presenter. It's good news in my view, as he is the perfect choice. Whatever you think of him, he is incredibly good at what he does. I predict a different feel to the show, which will retain a lot of humour and fun and will be a success. Evans is also a genuine petrol head and probably a MUCH nicer and more genuine person than Jeremy Clarkson.

Before you rush to defend Clarkson just put yourself in the place of that producer he attacked. Forget the physical assault, he was subjected to a long, continual verbal abuse in front of everyone. I would have punched his lights out. Clarkson is an arrogant kn**head and deserves to slip into obscurity.

It'll be interesting to see who co presents. Please God not Jodie Kidd or any other vacuous piece of fluff. Suzie Perry would be great. I imagine May and Hammond may regret their misplaced loyalty, notwithstanding any lucrative deal they get on Sky

Chris Evans has been confirmed as the new TG presenter. It's good news in my view, as he is the perfect choice. Whatever you think of him, he is incredibly good at what he does. I predict a different feel to the show, which will retain a lot of humour and fun and will be a success. Evans is also a genuine petrol head and probably a MUCH nicer and more genuine person than Jeremy Clarkson.

Before you rush to defend Clarkson just put yourself in the place of that producer he attacked. Forget the physical assault, he was subjected to a long, continual verbal abuse in front of everyone. I would have punched his lights out. Clarkson is an arrogant kn**head and deserves to slip into obscurity.

It'll be interesting to see who co presents. Please God not Jodie Kidd or any other vacuous piece of fluff. Suzie Perry would be great. I imagine May and Hammond may regret their misplaced loyalty, notwithstanding any lucrative deal they get on Sky

I couldn't disagree more Iv'e known Chris Evans since his Piccadilly Radio, Manchester days. You know when he abandoned his wife & child to seek fame down south. Frankly he is & has always been an irritating sod. ALL of his progammes are about him & not anything else. His guests will be lucky if they get a look in. TG was & will only ever be any good with Clarkson, May & Hammond. Anything else will be 3rd or even 4th rate so its sad to have to say TG is dead. As for the producer he didn't want anything to happen & is was Clarkson he reported himself

AND May Hammond & Clarkson have been motoring correspondents for a very long time whereas Evans is just another hobbyist

• Like 2

I understand that May and the Hamster have already been given new contracts worth around a quarter of a million each. Mr Evans ? probably the best of a bad bunch. Mike.

Won't be watching - didn't like Clarkson either, though did find some of the stuff funny. Doubt this guy will be amusing and whoever teams up with him may expect to be kept well away from being regarded as a "team" member. Didn't the man deny that he was interested right up to the point of accepting? Barefaced lying is not a character trait that I find endearing.

Maybe I'm wrong on that, as not paid much attention to this life changing issue.

Won't be watching - didn't like Clarkson either, though did find some of the stuff funny. Doubt this guy will be amusing and whoever teams up with him may expect to be kept well away from being regarded as a "team" member. Didn't the man deny that he was interested right up to the point of accepting? Barefaced lying is not a character trait that I find endearing.

Maybe I'm wrong on that, as not paid much attention to this life changing issue.

I only defend C Evans on the lying, he may well have been told to keep quiet until the BBC were ready to announce these things and what is he going to do or say when there always so many reporters asking him the same question? Mike.

"I couldn't possibly comment" - seems to be a truthful answer. Does the BBC ask people to lie? surely not

Well you are dammed if you do and your dammed if you dont, as for the BBC and the truth I just say Jimmy Saville. Mike.

Some people have attention deficit disorder and Evans is one of them. He's just an arrogant little squirt that seems to think the universe revolves around him, IMO. Frankly there are more important things going on in the world - so this becoming headline news was clearly stage-managed. At least we now know that we can't beleive anything he says.

Then again, unlike the early days, TG is no longer about the cars but all about the "celebrity" presenters. I don't have time for it.

• Like 1

I will give the new presenters a fair chance, no trio is going to be the same as the original, but why they have a to have a female, just for the sake of it is political correctness gone mad.

Certainly not Jodie Kidd, just coz she likes fast cars is no reason, would rather have Julie Walters, at least she has a sense of humour.

If the show ends up being naff, then one less program to bother about.

• Like 1

One things for sure they'll be people who show adoration for C.E. - Sycophants is that the word.?

Guess this is really an "oldies v youngsters" view on the subject. After all, who could imagine so many people worshipping GC. The mind boggles. A fallen God to some!

I switch off at the hyper style of presentation that CE is associated with, which seems to be the Beebs preferred style. Don't listen to BBC Radio2 since he replaced someone. Is he still on there?? no idea.

These days I find it increasingly difficult to watch Television with all this in/out of focus photography, blast your ears with music almost drowning out the presentation of facts, spoiling every decent documentary that I'd really like to see and listen to. Photography today doing nothing for those suffer or are likely to develop Epilepsy. Adverts photography being worse.

Guess I've got to face facts my brain can't handle things as it once could.

Going to put the cat amongst the pigeons here - although he was a complete buffoon at times, I liked Clarkson for the fact that he says things how he sees them and being around the same age I can relate to his humour - aside from the odd racist comment that is, which I do not condone.

As for Mr Evans, he has a nice collection of cars is all I can really say.

As to possible co presenters, I'll miss May and Hammond but not sure about possible female contenders. Jody Kidd was a square peg in a round hole on the Classic Car show she did with Quentin Wilson. Suzie Perry would get my vote as would Vicky Butler-Henderson and Suzy Schmidtz.

Will be interesting to see how things pan out.

Going to put the cat amongst the pigeons here - although he was a complete buffoon at times, I liked Clarkson for the fact that he says things how he sees them and being around the same age I can relate to his humour - aside from the odd racist comment that is, which I do not condone.

As to possible co presenters, I'll miss May and Hammond but not sure about possible female contenders. Jody Kidd was a square peg in a round hole on the Classic Car show she did with Quentin Wilson. Suzie Perry would get my vote as would Vicky Butler-Henderson and Suzy Schmidtz.

Agree with all those choices. I disagree with the earlier post about old vs young. I am no spring chicken but I like Chris Evans. he is enthusiastic and clearly very intelligent. His TV programmes to date happened to be aimed at younger viewers but his style may be dictated by the content, which for Top Gear will be different. CE is no spring chicken himself and you may be surprised at how interesting he makes the programme. As for radio 2, it is indistinguishable from radio 1 and plays utter crap and fluff most of the time. Steve Wright mostly plays disco music from the 70s, Ken Bruce is brilliant, Jeremy Vine is good (apart from the occasional stupid question - like asking that old Spitfire pilot what it was like baling out with an ejector seat) . Terry Wogan is still very good, as is Graham Norton but I suspect they are told what music to play. God knows what their intended demographic is. Elaine Paige probably gets her choice of show tunes on a Sunday but she is utterly unbearable. I have largely stopped listening to radio 2 as I am sick of the inane, homogeneous crap they insist on playing

• Like 1

Agree with all those choices. I disagree with the earlier post about old vs young. I am no spring chicken but I like Chris Evans. he is enthusiastic and clearly very intelligent. His TV programmes to date happened to be aimed at younger viewers but his style may be dictated by the content, which for Top Gear will be different. CE is no spring chicken himself and you may be surprised at how interesting he makes the programme. As for radio 2, it is indistinguishable from radio 1 and plays utter crap and fluff most of the time. Steve Wright mostly plays disco music from the 70s, Ken Bruce is brilliant, Jeremy Vine is good (apart from the occasional stupid question - like asking that old Spitfire pilot what it was like baling out with an ejector seat) . Terry Wogan is still very good, as is Graham Norton but I suspect they are told what music to play. God knows what their intended demographic is. Elaine Paige probably gets her choice of show tunes on a Sunday but she is utterly unbearable. I have largely stopped listening to radio 2 as I am sick of the inane, homogeneous crap they insist on playing

You forgot to mention the monotonous road traffic reports every 5 minutes.

Ooooh dear, Chris Evans to be the no.1 Top Gear presenter. Plus Jodie Kidd? Please NO. Did you see her on The Classic Car Show? Painful. I suppose there'll be some initial interest in the new programme, but, I predict that viewing figures will take a nosedive as reality sets in. It will never compare to the original in a million years. One good thing could come out of it though,-no more obsessing with German marques. All that free worldwide advertising ended at last. I must say, I'd watch it regularly if Suzie Perry or Vicki BH were made the presenters (for their car knowledge and enthusiasm of course!)

Having been brought up on a diet of John Peel (under the bed covers listener back in 1971), Bob Harrison, Mark & Lard to name a few, the radio these days is utter tripe, with the few nuggets of gold in there. Quite like Dermot O'Leary on saturdays, and used to like Zane Lowe, but he seems to have gone off the boil (and talks more than all other DJ's put together)

I do sometime listen to Chris Evans on the way to work, when I have had enough of John Humphries acting like a petulant terrier.

But I have found myself more and more using the CD player in the car, as at least I only have myself to blame if the music is rubbish.

Actually just had a thought (crazy one) how about getting Marc and Lard to present Top Gear, with Lisa Tarbuck as the token member of the other s*x, that would be something different to see.

One things for sure they'll be people who show adoration for C.E. - Sycophants is that the word.?

Guess this is really an "oldies v youngsters" view on the subject. After all, who could imagine so many people worshipping GC. The mind boggles. A fallen God to some!

I switch off at the hyper style of presentation that CE is associated with, which seems to be the Beebs preferred style. Don't listen to BBC Radio2 since he replaced someone. Is he still on there?? no idea.

These days I find it increasingly difficult to watch Television with all this in/out of focus photography, blast your ears with music almost drowning out the presentation of facts, spoiling every decent documentary that I'd really like to see and listen to. Photography today doing nothing for those suffer or are likely to develop Epilepsy. Adverts photography being worse.

Guess I've got to face facts my brain can't handle things as it once could.

By refering to those who support CE as 'Sycophants' is wrong. I dislike the guy also but I would never refer to his supporters in such terms

Pity the blessed Kenny Everett isn't around RIP. HE would have made a great presenter of TG and what a show that would have been

Having mentioned him now going to watch him on u-tube

Sycophants is the wrong word, that means brown nosing in order to gain advantage. There is no advantage in postulating a positive opinion of someone. Perhaps you mean acolyte? I happen to believe he is intelligent and very professional and that the show will get positive feedback, although it will inevitably take time. Everyone thought that Have I Got News for You would not survive without Angus Daeyton

Having been brought up on a diet of John Peel (under the bed covers listener back in 1971), Bob Harrison, Mark & Lard to name a few, the radio these days is utter tripe, with the few nuggets of gold in there. Quite like Dermot O'Leary on saturdays, and used to like Zane Lowe, but he seems to have gone off the boil (and talks more than all other DJ's put together)

I do sometime listen to Chris Evans on the way to work, when I have had enough of John Humphries acting like a petulant terrier.

But I have found myself more and more using the CD player in the car, as at least I only have myself to blame if the music is rubbish.

Actually just had a thought (crazy one) how about getting Marc and Lard to present Top Gear, with Lisa Tarbuck as the token member of the other s*x, that would be something different to see.

I agree, the more modern crop cannot hold a candle to John Peel and Whispering Bob Harris

Reza Mohammed and Jo Brand make a good team.

Eminently politically correct on so many fronts, and he could do all the car research and the others provide the humor and the cringeworthy aspect.

Suspect he chooses - clause in the Contract y'no.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links