Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• 3 weeks later...

It depends on the quality of the mp3s you want to play and also on the hardware that'll connect the audio to the stereo... most of my music is encoded at 160kbps to 320kbps and I don't notice any difference. Most people have MP3s at 128kbps and on a decent system like the one on the Lexus you could probably tell the quality wasn't CD perfect...

The cassette adapter is perhaps the easiest way but you are right, it is pathetic in terms of quality (and it also looks a but ugh). A better way (in terms of quality) is to use a little FM transmitter and listen to it via the radio. If money doesn't matter and quality is everything, you can buy a professional system but they're way to expensive for what they are...

I am hoping to put a little laptop computer in the boot and interface to the Lexus system using the CD changer interface (does the 2000 IS200 have such an interface?). If all goes to plan then I should be able to control the laptop via the changer controls on the facia because to the stereo the laptop should just appear as a changer.

Anyway, its not a new idea but it isn't exactly easy either so if I do suceed I'll let everyone know.

The in car players are about 600 quid.. maybe a little cheaper nowdays..

the player has a docking slide so you can remove the whole unit and take it indoors where you can add your mp3's to the hardrive.

Various size hardisks are available.

[Edited on 25-3-2002 by Administrator]

Am I missing something here? The easiest way must be to see if there is a multi changer that you can straight swap where the head reads MP3 as well as normal audio. Maybe you could just change the head unit? I work with computers and most CD-Roms or CD-RW (re-writers) and now even domestic DVD players can see MP3 (along with lots of other formats).:wow:

Am I missing something here? The easiest way must be to see if there is a multi changer that you can straight swap where the head reads MP3 as well as normal audio. Maybe you could just change the head unit? I work with computers and most CD-Roms or CD-RW (re-writers) and now even domestic DVD players can see MP3 (along with lots of other formats).:wow:

I'm not quite sure I follow you... CD-ROMS that contain MP3 files are usually in ISO9660 format. Some DVD players can read and play MP3s files from CDs but normal CD drives can only read the data, not do anything useful with it like extract the MP3 file data.

Also, you'd need a way to decompress the MP3 file data once you've got it so that you can output it as audio.

There are head units around which can play MP3s on CDs but they're usually not high quality head units and again, they are a bit over priced.

What I am hoping to do is use a laptop and write a piece of software that will interface with the Lexus' stereo and pretend to be a CD changer (with directories being CDs and files being tracks). The MP3s will be stored on hard disk.

Kenwood and Pioneer do a few head units in their new range which play MP3 discs, but they are only as good quality as the original disc. I have listened to the new Kenwood KDC-M9021 and the new Pioneer DEHP7400R priced at £329 and £299 respectively, and both sounded really good on a disc recorded at 192Kbps but not so good at 128Kbps. At 192Kbps you could not tell it from normal CD audio (maybe a minute reduction in bass quality). The only problem is the adaptor plate needed to fit a standard DIN head unit in the IS200. I saw a shop somewhere in America that sold adaptor plates for Lexus's - I think is was in Orange County - but I cant remember the name of the shop. Anyone know of anywhere that sells them?

Latest news from my computer tech-heads at work. Look out for MP3"PRO" - an upgraded version of the famous software that compresses more so that you can include more top end and over-all quality (apparently).

Not to be confused with MP4 - thats for movie files.:P

Yea its cool stuff, unfortunately this time around the people who helped create the format are seeking heavy royalties not just on the encoders but on every playback of the file. Because of that, the competition, and because its so new I doubt it'd take off. If are looking to buy a proper mp3 player system for your car then I'd suggest looking for one that can be flash upgraded to support new music formats, if not, then look for a format known as Ogg Vorbis - its free and better than mp3, not to mention that it has a better uptake than mp3PRO.

Anyway, I'm going to shut up now, I'm deviating from the original post too much.:tumble:

• 2 weeks later...

GCHQAgent

What I am hoping to do is use a laptop and write a piece of software that will interface with the Lexus' stereo and pretend to be a CD changer (with directories being CDs and files being tracks). The MP3s will be stored on hard disk.

How's it going?

GCHQAgent

How's it going?

Haven't gotten round to looking at the MP3 stuff yet - I've spent most of my time playing with the sat nav unit to see if I can get a composite signal for DVD into it - I haven't been able to. Spoke to Lexus, they said it is absolutely not possible without their help and they don't want to do it for legal reasons so no luck there. Aparently the two issues are 1) the stock screen uses a non-standard number of pixels and 2) the video signal is a single wire which carries a proprietary multiplexed signal (is this true 'cos it looks like Pioneer RGB)

Anyway, I've given up on the sat nav stuff and will soon begin playing around with the MP3 stuff - will let everyone know if/when I'm sucessful.

-Emrul

This site sells it for £399 and mentions a version 1 that is heavily discounted and dodgy...perhaps the £199 one? I guess it's worth checking what version they're selling!

http://www.coolmp3gear.com/icms.shtml" target="_blank"> http://www.coolmp3gear.com/icms.shtml

Go and have a look in Halfords, they sell the Mstation MP3 car kit. Stores 3000 songs (10gb hdd) comes with all the software and uses an FM modulator.

Cost there £500, company in Workingham sell the exact same item for £199 inc vat

I am considering getting one, they also do a delux version with a 60gb hard drive and can store 18,000 songs.

You would never get bored????

It looks good, but expensive. Considering you can pick up a 160Gb external firewire drive for around £300 and a secondhand laptop off eBay for about £150 you can get a lot more capacity for a lot less money.

All you'd need to do is get some software to make the whole thing work and even that's available from javadude's previous post.

[secretly hoping he can turn all this talk into a working DIY in-car mp3 player :tumble:]

-Emrul

I have seen "USB" memory sticks for PC & laptops now. Apparently a head unit for a car or at least an adaptor to fit existing car head units is not far off.

The little USB sticks are already available up to 512Mb - with bigger ones to follow.

For those that don't know these "memory sticks" are about as big as a stick of chewing gum and plug into the USB port on your PC or Keyboard (and can be kept on your keyring).

yea - they're really cool - I've an 8mb one - not much space for music but enough to take the source for our whole application home to work on. Better than using 5 floppies and the data transfer rate is much higher.

[Edited on 15-4-2002 by javadude]

Right people, I know what I'm doing now (I think *g*)

This is how I'm tackling the problem:-

Initially use a laptop to store and play the MP3s with the intention to move to using a more embedded solution later. I plan on using PicoBSD aswell as a couple of other bits of Open Source technology :) The hardware must have a wireless lan card (WiFi 802.11b)

The control unit will be a Compaq iPaq with the same wireless connectivity.

Using the iPaq to controller / playlist manager is a really funky idea in my opinion. First, its a wireless solution so its nice and easy. Second, you have lots of power to build visualisation / nice UI. Finally, you can control the audio 150m - 300m outside of the car... yes a very kev thing to do but hey its still gowna be cool. Oh and I almost forgot, you will eventually be able to transfer files between cars as you drive past each other aswell as let the iPaq function as a personal mp3 player through its headphone sockets.

Sounds a bit grand? Well if I get this stuff done maybe I'll have the courage to show myself at JAE :)

[Edited on 18-4-2002 by GCHQAgent]

First post - sweaty palms over with (hope it doesn't matter that I haven't ACTUALLY picked up the IS200 yet!!). eBay is an ideal place for mStation. v1 is, supposedly, a little trickier to dock and un-dock (something to do with the connector), whilst v2 is easier AND has back-lighting on the satellite controller. v2 also has USB connection for transferring files. Both have the option of an FM modulater so that you don't need to hard wire it to the stereo (having said that, that's small beer to some of the mods you lot make!!). mStation is unsupported in the UK. Try www.6thplanet.com for v1 and v2.

Fancy one? Try http://www.dension.com/english/indexeng.html for a new MP3 player. I've heard a whisper from the sole UK supplier that they are being shipped to him from Wednesday. Feel free to email me for details?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links