Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just recently I am finding that I need to 'wiggle' my key to get it to turn to start the car.

The operation of the key feels a bit notchy in operation.

I was going to squirt some WD40 or 3 in one light oil on the key to see if that helps.

Does anyone have any other tips as to what would be best?

If you have a spare key try this and see if it works better as it may be the key is worn rather than a dodgy lock barrel. I have heard graphite powder is a good lock lubricant.

If you have a spare key try this and see if it works better as it may be the key is worn rather than a dodgy lock barrel. I have heard graphite powder is a good lock lubricant.

Graphite powder is generally better for the lock rather than WD40, certainly used it on padlocks to greater effect than WD40 or any other liquid lubricant

WD40 can be good for loosening things up but always follow up with perhaps a little light oil applied to the sides of the

key or a squirt of white lithium grease with PTFE.....

Good luck,

Mark.

Keith, I've had this problem a few times to the point where the barrel won't turn at all. A real pain. I have found that a squirt of WD 40 into the barrel and on the key itself seems to cure it for months on end. Graphite is good too, but messy. This sticking barrel problem happens to a few makes, not just Toyota/Lexus.

Eff - really appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge of lock lubricants.

Fortunately I read your post before squirting loads of WD40 into the lock barrel and invested in some graphite powder which has eased the problem but the key is still a bit notchy.

I suspect it is the key wearing rather than the lock as it the was a replacement cut from a non original key. I had misplaced the original spare but have since found it so will get a new key cut and see how that goes.

The barrel 'sliders' inside are made of brass, which is a softer metal than steel. Any ignition key is made of steel. Therefore, the barrel will wear out first. Once worn, the sliders 'catch', so they won't turn easily or maybe not at all, hence, the need for some lubricant. I've never had any trouble using WD for this problem. In fact it worked better and longer than graphite.

Are you sure it's the barrel ? My father in laws LS had a similar problem where there car would cut out whilst driving along, wiggle the keys and would fire back into life, turned out to be the ignition switch which is screwed to the bottom of the barrel itself. It's only plastic and wears, once ignition key is inserted it engages into this switch then turns when key turns, if this has worn or fallen apart inside may be preventing ignition key turning, just a thought. Held on by two screws and elec plug. Less than £50 for genuine part direct from Japan.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links