Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Rubbing/grinding Sound At Low Speed And Braking

Hey looking for some input/thoughts.

I changed the brake disc and pads on all wheels, prior to the that I was getting a rubbing/grinding noise while driving below 40mph and just as the car came to a stop while braking (also low speed)... At the time I thought it was due to worn pads and rusted brake disc, so I renewed those and everything was fine again, its been less than 2 months and I noticed the sound had returned again and its doing my head in! Anyone have any suggestions? Cant be the bearing as the noise was gone after new disc/pads.. It's only at low speed and when coming to a slow gentle stop.

Did you check that all the calipers are sliding freely?

Maybe at low brake pressure one of the calipers isn't sliding properly so that a pad is brushing against a disc rather than being clamped to it?

Maybe...

Do you have a surface rust on the new discs? If a brake isn't working correctly then it will soon corrode and pit which will cause the noise. It the issue is with the rears then make sure the parking brake is releasing correctly.

Is the sound from front or back ?

When you done the rear discs did you back off the inner shoes and re-tighten?

The slide/guide pins on the rear brakes that hold the pads in can get very rusted - if you didn't clean these then they could be stopping the pads from moving correctly.

Also, is there any shudder in the steering wheel or the drivers seat when braking?

Not sure but I think it might be the front

No I didn't tighten inner shoe, how do you tighten them? They had quite a layer of rust so I cleaned them up the best I could

I gave the slide pin a proper scrub down, clean and regrease using the Toyota red grease.

No shuddering whatsoever.

It sounds like pads rubbing against the disc, only noticble at low speed and brake.

The old disc had a lot of rust on the inner side that makes contact with the shoe, I always thought that was the reason, but new disc shouldn't be doing it and it wasn't until recently.

If its the front then it could be one of the brake pad securing spring wires that has come off and scraping on the disc - you should be able to see if this is the case by looking through the wheel (depending on the alloys you have on the car)

The rear shoes are tightened up by removing a rubber bung in the disc(with the wheel off), aligning the hole at the 9 o clock position and using a small flat head screwdriver inserted in the hole and turning the cog to the right.

I put up a how to guide on this and should be linked on the forum front page

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links