Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Clank Noise When Braking Or Accelerating To/from Standstill

Recently, Ive just been hearing a metallic *clank* when braking to a standstill or accelerating from a standstill.

Ive not noticed the noise before, this is the first time its happened and it seems to have a mind of its own.

There is no consistency in the noise whatsoever apart from the fact it only happens when braking to a standstill or when accelerating from a standstill (but not all the time).

Also, I can't hear the noise in the car when the windows are closed. It can only be heard with the windows down.

Any ideas on what it could be? Thanks

Rayaan,

Can you listen out for the noise the next time you go over a speed bump or cushion.

Would be interested if it happened 10mph and slower or if it occurs around 20mph and above.

If the noise does occur, try and find a speed cushion and see if you can narrow it down to either the left or right side of the car!

Ta,

Chris

Rayaan,

Can you listen out for the noise the next time you go over a speed bump or cushion.

Would be interested if it happened 10mph and slower or if it occurs around 20mph and above.

If the noise does occur, try and find a speed cushion and see if you can narrow it down to either the left or right side of the car!

Ta,

Chris

The clunk noise doesnt happen when going over speed bumps. I only get a squeek from the rear suspension which I presume is normal as its happened all the time. It happens under 10mph without exception. Never at higher speeds.

The clunk seems to be coming from the front/middle area rather than the rear

If it is coming from the front then it could be the brake pads moving in the callipers.

Is that a problem or normal?

In all honesty I've only noticed it after the 30k service recently but could have been before then. I'll keep a look out and try banging the calipers to see if they're loose.

If it is coming from the front then it could be the brake pads moving in the callipers.

Is that a problem or normal?

In all honesty I've only noticed it after the 30k service recently but could have been before then. I'll keep a look out and try banging the calipers to see if they're loose.

It isn't normal but not really a problem other than being annoying. If all the clips aren't in place or if there is just some wear then the pads can move slightly and bang against the calliper. This is only a possibility, there are many things that could cause this type of noise, hopefully you can narrow it down.

Brakes are on 30% I think so not overly worn.

Can't hear it when the windows are up either but ill take it to the dealer and see what it is.

I'm out if warranty too :/

Have you managed to take your car to a dealer yet?

Going this Wednesday. Ill see what they say about the noise. Likeliest options are:

1) brake pads moving in the calipers

2) Loose chassis bolts - some owners in the US have reported a single tick upon acceleration/deceleration similiar to my experiences. It was fixed by tightening all the chassis bolts (something that is NOT listed in the service in the UK but it is in the US!!??)

I had the same issue with my rx300, it turned out to be the caliper pistons were seized causing one of the pads to move around.

Once i had a new caliper fitted then the issue was gone.

There is probably a socket rolling around in the engine bay somewhere :D

It's not that far forward though. Sound comes from left front footwell so Id bet it's something to do with the left front brakes. It didn't come before they serviced the car.........

When I picked mine up from a Lexus service I kept hearing a faint tinny rattling noise from the front drivers side wheel all the way home ... sounded like it was coming from the brake shield ... I found a 10" flathead screwdriver jammed in next to it ... lol ...

When I picked mine up from a Lexus service I kept hearing a faint tinny rattling noise from the front drivers side wheel all the way home ... sounded like it was coming from the brake shield ... I found a 10" flathead screwdriver jammed in next to it ... lol ...

Holy moly lol. Would have been bad if it got lodged in the alloy wheel!

Hmm, really weird today. Took the whole family out to the Next Sale lol. With everyone in the car, it doesnt make the noise?

• Like 1

Maybe it might be something down the back seat ?

Plan is to check everything on the inside of the car first to see if it still comes and then proceed!

• 2 weeks later...

Did the problem get resolved, or did it 'go away'?

Still there - apparently its normal or something what not!

Basically they said it's the pads wearing past a certain point which let's them move around a bit. Nothing to worry about but should go away if pads are changed

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links