Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Headlight Alignment (hid)

Leading on from my last post, I disconnected my Battery and after connecting it back up again I am pretty certain my headlight alignment is skewed both up n down AND left and right.

Could any confirm for me by looking at the pic if my beam alignment is correct or the same as yours?

Firstly I notice the 'steps' are not at the same height - shouldn't they be?

Second, the left hand 'step' is pointing too far right, and is certainly not straight in line with the headlight on the car. I think it's obvious the steps need to be further apart i.e. each straight inline with its headlight back on the car.

Do they need alignment? Can this be done DIY?

Thanks in advance

post-28561-0-43384900-1439416395_thumb.j

It would be better if you could point at a flat dark wall...kinda hard to see whats going on there.

The units are adjusted by a small flywheel adjuster think it was at the top of the unit.

Ah.....it looks its lower on the right then. Hadn't really seen that until just then.

Take a read here.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/94814-low-beam-headlight-adjustment-upwards/?hl=%2Bheadlight+%2Badjustment

and

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/90944-headlight-adjustment-is250/?hl=%2Bheadlight+%2Badjustment

and

http://tinyurl.com/nfwmc82 (borrowed from Johnatg's post)

Before you do anything I'd remove the engine covers so you can have a look around the light unit itself. Check if owt is loose or looking like someones been in there fiddling.

If you want to try I'd find a perfectly flat standing for the car and a good flat dark wall to aim your lightbeams at. You are going to need to see things as clearly as possible.

If you are going to adjust, mark the start point clearly first on the grubwheel so you can come back to this point and then the other way if necessary.

Whether your lights need adjusted or not, that beam pattern is not unusual. The near-side cut-off line will always be higher in a RHD car.

As an alternative, there's also a sensor on the rear suspension (passenger side), that can be adjusted to alter the height of the headlamp aim. This might be quicker/easier since it'll affect both lights at the same time.

I would probably stick to using the adjustment screws on the lights themselves though in case that sensor underneath is rusted solid, or ends up getting broken.

114475d1195390976-afs-light-flashing-aft

"Whether your lights need adjusted or not, that beam pattern is not unusual"

I don't profess to be an expert, by any means.....but, are you sure about that?

I know the pattern will be different with the good old halogen bulbed headlight. But this is HID. The beam pattern is flat...flat as a pancake as near as dammit. Mine certainly are...anyone else?

There is no 'flick up' on the lhs of each beam pattern ( as in illuminating the pavement edge).

That's my understanding of how HID projectors work....but I'm quite happy to be proved wrong.

There is a letter somewhere on this site, from Lexus GB, saying the beam pattern is flat - - - and for that reason HID lights do not require those beam bender kits when you drive in Europe.

I'll see if I can locate it.

When I turn my lights on I can see them auto aligning (both up and down) - pointed at my garage door they do seem flat (level with each other)

This is backed up on roads where you can see the limit of the light just stop in a horizontal line, it doesn't seem to spread the light as normal bulbs do.

Its definitely HID's installed on your car?

I stand to be corrected but I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter what type of lights are fitted. There should be a step or rise in the pattern on the near side for the purpose of making road signs, pedestrians etc more easily visible.

Whether the "step" is legally-required or not, I'm unsure to be honest, but I do know the general shape of Billnick's beam pattern (higher on the left), is quite normal, even with projector HIDs.

An MOT tester chiming in would be handy right about now. :)

Yes I do have HIDs as Normski said I have an 08 SEL.

I bought a projector retrofit for my 1st Gen IS200 and the tutorial for beam alignment said that the two steps should be at the same height to create a perfect horizontal cut off and they should be the same distance apart as the headlights themselves.

Just wondered if OEM specification was any different.

I'm gonna get out at dusk this weekend with my screwdriver and give it a go.

Thanks all for your input

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links