Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Straight Pipes For A 1995 Ls400

I have been researching on this forum and others about the ways in which you may 'straight pipe' an LS400.

I would like a conclusive thread on exactlyy what the best method is.

I am aware that some of you may disapprove but the car was very cheap. I bought it because it has my favourite engine (of the affordable ones) in and I want to be able to hear it in all its glory. If I dislike it, it is reversible.

Currently my exhaust lacks the central resonator, it has been replaced with a piece of pipe. However the stock silencers still mute it a little too much and I want to be rid of them too.

My main question centres around back-pressure. If I were to straight pipe the car, should I run two totally separate pipes from each bank? Should I have an 'x-pipe' and 'H-pipe' or a 'Y-pipe' where they meet?

Also, aesthetically speaking should I hide the tips or have some nice spangly (tasteful) ones?

I am currently playing with various different variations,

So stock system 95 mk3

Removed rear silencers,hardly any difference.

Removed Centre silencers which was much better,not overly loud,but had a nice v8 rumble and bark.

So next stage is to exit pipes just forward of the rear wheels.if this is do loud i will run pipes to the back,in my opinion hidden B)

It always puts a smile on my face to hear the old V8 roar into life every time I start my old girl.

but after that that there's nothing like wafting around around in complete silence in my ls 400.

The only down side is I've lost count of the amount people I've nearly ran over that step out in front of me lol.

• Haha 1

I am currently playing with various different variations,

So stock system 95 mk3

Removed rear silencers,hardly any difference.

Removed Centre silencers which was much better,not overly loud,but had a nice v8 rumble and bark.

So next stage is to exit pipes just forward of the rear wheels.if this is do loud i will run pipes to the back,in my opinion hidden B)

be good to hear the results -perhaps a short vid?

I too have been playing, I make no bones about it, the 1uz is a thing of beauty to listen to. I'll be building a custom system with QTP electric exhaust cut outs. That way I can have quiet when needed and raucous when the mood takes me.

I've made the intake modification whereby you remove the air intake above the radiator then butcher the air filter box to reveal the air filter. I'll make a proper cold air feed for it soon and build a partition to separate it from the hot engine.

This so far has made the single biggest difference to he sound of the engine, at low speed it's hardly noticeable but at full chat it sounds like the race engine it was designed to be!

After reding through some build threads on the net of some truly monstrous 1UZ engines running upwards of 900BHP I'm trying to decide if supercharging is the way to go or a large single turbo or even twin turbos are the way to go.

It always puts a smile on my face to hear the old V8 roar into life every time I start my old girl.

but after that that there's nothing like wafting around around in complete silence in my ls 400.

The only down side is I've lost count of the amount people I've nearly ran over that step out in front of me lol.

I can't hear any V8 burble and its a bit annoying. Do you start it outside the Car?

Woof!

There have been some really good responses so far. Thank you all.

Two further points:

1) Can anyone advise me specifically on the merits (or otherwise) of two 'true' straight pipes, an 'H' pipe, a 'Y' pipe or an 'X' pipe where the two pipes join?

2) Would anyone like to hear the exhaust as it sits now with the middle resonator removed and replaced with straight pipe. It gets plenty of compliments as is...

Woof!

There have been some really good responses so far. Thank you all.

Two further points:

1) Can anyone advise me specifically on the merits (or otherwise) of two 'true' straight pipes, an 'H' pipe, a 'Y' pipe or an 'X' pipe where the two pipes join?

2) Would anyone like to hear the exhaust as it sits now with the middle resonator removed and replaced with straight pipe. It gets plenty of compliments as is...

Yes please!

I love the quiet waftiness of the standard car, but would also love to be able to switch to a more raw version when in the mood.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links