Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Nearly New Is300h

New to the forum as I've just signed on the dotted for a 5 month old used IS300h Executive with 3k on the clock after a 24hr test drive in a demonstrator. Initially I'd not really considered a Lexus coming from 3 BMWs and was wary of the reports on the CVT transmission especially after coming from an excellent 8 speed ZF in a 2013 3 series.

The reports are rubbish, the transmission is smooth with the engine only audible under hard acceleration; what swung it for me was the quietness of the drive - after the racket generated by the run flats on the Beemer - and the general level of luxury not evident in the current 3 series.

• Like 1

New to the forum as I've just signed on the dotted for a 5 month old used IS300h Executive with 3k on the clock after a 24hr test drive in a demonstrator. Initially I'd not really considered a Lexus coming from 3 BMWs and was wary of the reports on the CVT transmission especially after coming from an excellent 8 speed ZF in a 2013 3 series.

The reports are rubbish, the transmission is smooth with the engine only audible under hard acceleration; what swung it for me was the quietness of the drive - after the racket generated by the run flats on the Beemer - and the general level of luxury not evident in the current 3 series.

Your quite right! I'm now on my 4th Lexus and stayed within the brand mainly due to the level of luxury and the toys you get far exceed the others but also the main reason is reliability!!!!

Over that last 10 years with Lexus spread over 4 cars I can count on one hand the number of none wear and tear related issues even having owned the dreaded diesel version! I think that speaks volumes.

My best mate is a avid bmw nut and won't hear anything other than bmw being best oh and golfs.

He currently has a 1 series from New. With upgraded msport alloys

When I asked him why he didn't get any other options like Sat nav or leather his reply was have you seen how much extra they all are!

My simple answer to that was there you go then you get more than this in a vectra!

Not knocking bmw, they clearly have a stratagy that works well for many a owner and business user galore. But put me in something that as soon as you sit in it and drive it just ooses luxury along with reliability then I'm sold!

• Like 1

Does my head in when people who think they know everything there is to do with motoring say to me "yeah but the drone of the engine due to the CVT transmission" just because they have read in a review by a journalist that has been given the keys then driven it like a knob for day has come up with that conclusion. I am guilty of this by the way, until I drove one properly and engine rarely got above 2,000rpm when driving normally, with no noticeable noise or drone.

I must admit if I had bought this for the track, or drove everywhere like I stole the car then I would be in agreement with most reviewers, but normal driving 95% of the time, I prefer the CVT.

Wait a couple of months, the next time you get in an auto Diesel stuck in traffic, you will be shocked by how agricultural they sound.

Wait a couple of months, the next time you get in an auto Diesel stuck

in traffic, you will be shocked by how agricultural they sound.

I had a 5 series taxi bring me home and it sounded so noisy. Guess I have got used to the Lexus.

Thanks for the welcomes and positive comments. Picking up the wheels on Friday morning.

Tbh the 3 series is a good car but just a little too noisy and unrefined, mainly due to the 18" run flats and poor sound insulation. Mine was a 320i which is fairly pokey and quite economical at around 35mpg in mixed driving. It doesn't come close in terms of luxury feel and refinement compared to the is300h though.

Looking forward to some luxury motoring with an interesting drivetrain.

A colleague of mine has a newish 3 series GT. The seats are like sitting on hard board and it has no toys, he still has a satnav on a windscreen suction mount. The electric closing hatch back is cool though.

Welcome Adrian and I'm sure you won't regret the change. With a normal driving style you should easily beat the 35mpg, and if you want to have some fun pop it into Sport mode. Looking forward to your reports! And yes, the journo reporting on the CVT is rubbish for us "normal" drivers.

Thought I'd provide an update after living with the IS300h for a weekend. Overall impressions are that the IS300h is in a class above the current 3 series in general quality of the interior, refinement and value for money e.g. the standard kit list is lengthy (Xenons, satnav, folding mirrors, heated seats, high quality sound system).

The added bonus is the quietness of the drivetrain, especially at low speeds. I'm getting around 48mpg according to the trip computer which is impressive. Performance seems a little down on my BMW but not enough to really notice, anyway, tearing around in such a smooth driving car seems a little crass.

I'd also heard good things about the dealers and Lexus Stockport certainly lived up to their reputation.

Very pleased so far with the switch!

Thought I'd provide an update after living with the IS300h for a weekend. Overall impressions are that the IS300h is in a class above the current 3 series in general quality of the interior, refinement and value for money e.g. the standard kit list is lengthy (Xenons, satnav, folding mirrors, heated seats, high quality sound system).

The added bonus is the quietness of the drivetrain, especially at low speeds. I'm getting around 48mpg according to the trip computer which is impressive. Performance seems a little down on my BMW but not enough to really notice, anyway, tearing around in such a smooth driving car seems a little crass.

I'd also heard good things about the dealers and Lexus Stockport certainly lived up to their reputation.

Very pleased so far with the switch!

I bought mine from Stockport too buddy 3 years ago. Very good service back then and honestly, have heard very few complaints about them.

I had to buy the 300h from Chester this time as Stockport didn't have any used stock!

I'm on my first hybrid Lexus - had two IS 250's before that, so been driving Lexus for 10 years and enjoyed every minute of it.

Like many people I was not sure if going from the silky smooth 6-cylinder 2.5 litre all petrol engines to the 4-cylinder 2.5 litre + Battery with CVT might result in more noise inside the car but a long test drive proved this was not the case.

I've had my hybrid for 18 months, done 21,000 miles and find it utterly relaxing to drive. It may sound crazy, but I actually find the 40 minute commute home a great way to de-stress after a long day at the office. The fact it's giving me nearly 54mpg and service intervals are stretched out to 12,500 miles give me a couple of significant and welcome bonuses.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Just thought I'd post an update after living with my IS300h for a month and 2k miles :

I'll start with the negatives (not many tbh) as compared with my previous car (BMW 320i Sport F31 Touring Auto) :

- The cruise control is a little old fashioned in that it doesn't display the current speed setting, or am I missing something?

And then for the positives :

The fuel economy is amazing, I'm getting about 51mpg on the computer but 600 miles on a tank costing around £70 is excellent. I'd be looking to fill up the BMW at 380 miles.

The drivetrain is very smooth and getting used to the CVT/Hybrid setup and can't for the life of me have any idea why the motoring press see the CVT as a negative. Coming from the the excellent 8 speed ZF in the BMW this is a surprise.

The overall feeling of the car is of a luxury car which is also a surprise as BMW seemed to be going in the other direction. For example, the car is very quiet at all speeds, the interior trim quality is of a very high standard, the seats are very comfortable, the soft touch plastics are everywhere. It just feels from a class above.

The headlights are excellent, as you would expect from Xenons.

The stereo is also very good and leagues ahead of the BMWs, both from a feature and quality standpoint.

The overall size of the car is great being that little bit smaller than the BMW which is good for parking and general placing of the car on my local country roads.

Overall I'm really enjoying the car, more so than my previous 2 BMWs and definitely a convert to petrol/hybrid technology.

• Like 2

A lot of the motoring press have an inherent bias to certain brands - Mainly the German cars, the latest saga about Diesel cars and emissions have demonstrated this well. The is whatAutoCar was printing on their website last week...

"It has to be something of a slow news week when a car company makes the front pages for being naughty. Im not being that flippant, just realistic."

It gets worse....

"I mean, all that Toyota airbag shenanigans which could have ended rather seriously for the driver and passengers is now largely forgotten. Toyota still seems to be in business. Who would have predicted that? Certainly not the over-excited journalists writing the ill informed sensation heavy headlines a few months back"

....and there's even more to come!!!

"The green lobby and the gullible unquestioning media might think this is a heinous crime against the planet, but Mr and Mrs Car Buyer in Harrogate should and will just carry on regardless and sign on the dotted line for another diesel Golf."

Opinion - thinking about buying a VW diesel? Carry on regardless | Autocar

It's pretty clear to who is paying that particular 'journalist's' wages. I hope now some of the inherent German bias in the UK motoring press will start to see through all the marketing/gimmicks the German brands have surrounded them selves with. But clearly it they keep on paying for adverts on websites/magazines, the bias will always be there :(

A lot of the motoring press have an inherent bias to certain brands - Mainly the German cars, the latest saga about Diesel cars and emissions have demonstrated this well. The is whatAutoCar was printing on their website last week...

"It has to be something of a slow news week when a car company makes the front pages for being naughty. Im not being that flippant, just realistic."

It gets worse....

"I mean, all that Toyota airbag shenanigans which could have ended rather seriously for the driver and passengers is now largely forgotten. Toyota still seems to be in business. Who would have predicted that? Certainly not the over-excited journalists writing the ill informed sensation heavy headlines a few months back"

....and there's even more to come!!!

"The green lobby and the gullible unquestioning media might think this is a heinous crime against the planet, but Mr and Mrs Car Buyer in Harrogate should and will just carry on regardless and sign on the dotted line for another diesel Golf."

Opinion - thinking about buying a VW diesel? Carry on regardless | Autocar

It's pretty clear to who is paying that particular 'journalist's' wages. I hope now some of the inherent German bias in the UK motoring press will start to see through all the marketing/gimmicks the German brands have surrounded them selves with. But clearly it they keep on paying for adverts on websites/magazines, the bias will always be there :(

A little off-topic I think?

Good to hear that you're still enjoying the car Len and interesting to read your comments about the infotainment system considering how much bad press it comes in for.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links