Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX300 - having "Fun" with our dealer

The last 2 weeks have been interesting, I realised that the cambelt change is not just every 100k but also 10 years (whichever is sooner), I contacted the dealer pointed out that their advert was specific in respect of a full service history and to their credit they agreed to pay for the cambelt and tensioner.  I mentioned that Lexus does a cambelt deal for older cars and they agreed to let me take the car to a Lexus dealer.  Whilst there I got the water pump done.

The car went to Lexus Hedge End and about half an hour after I left it with them they called me saying they had some serious concerns about the condition of the car (my heart sank) and they sent me a report and a video with £3,500 worth of work on it.  Main points were:

• Radiator leaking and had been bodged £650
  • Front brake pads which had been replaced by the dealer were not fitted correctly £100
  • The high pressure and return power steering lines needed replacement as corroded £1200
  • The rear brakes were ineffective,the calipers were corroded and the footbrake was non functioning making them question how it could have been given a new 12 month mot. £900
  • Some sundry other items £450 (or so)

I took the car to our garage who we've used for 15 years and they agreed the radiator was duff and the rear brakes needed new pads and discs plus new parking brake shoes.  The rest of it was Lexus ramping and fishing for work.  If anyone has a bonnet strut going spare i'd be interested.

Went back to the supplying dealer, they have agreed for the repairs recommended by our independent again without quibbling.  So i'm almost thankful to Lexus for overdoing the doom and gloom as the independent garage costs will be around £1100, far better than £3,500.

Apart from that really enjoying the car, it would have been a pain in the butt to have had to reject it as the boss has fallen in love with it.

I'm happy that the garage I've used for 15 years can advise me on this and with the car not drivable back to the supplying dealer they are taking it on the chin. The work that needs doing comes to just shy of £1k, the Lexus labour rates don't apply and the power steering replacement is not needed contrary to Lexus advice. Once done I think we've got a very comfy car that will serve us well.

i agree with you PCM rear brakes tend to get forgotten.

On 1/26/2016 at 0:03 AM, abecketts said:

The last 2 weeks have been interesting, I realised that the cambelt change is not just every 100k but also 10 years (whichever is sooner), I contacted the dealer pointed out that their advert was specific in respect of a full service history and to their credit they agreed to pay for the cambelt and tensioner.  I mentioned that Lexus does a cambelt deal for older cars and they agreed to let me take the car to a Lexus dealer.  Whilst there I got the water pump done.

The car went to Lexus Hedge End and about half an hour after I left it with them they called me saying they had some serious concerns about the condition of the car (my heart sank) and they sent me a report and a video with £3,500 worth of work on it.  Main points were:

• Radiator leaking and had been bodged £650
  • Front brake pads which had been replaced by the dealer were not fitted correctly £100
  • The high pressure and return power steering lines needed replacement as corroded £1200
  • The rear brakes were ineffective,the calipers were corroded and the footbrake was non functioning making them question how it could have been given a new 12 month mot. £900
  • Some sundry other items £450 (or so)

I took the car to our garage who we've used for 15 years and they agreed the radiator was duff and the rear brakes needed new pads and discs plus new parking brake shoes.  The rest of it was Lexus ramping and fishing for work.  If anyone has a bonnet strut going spare i'd be interested.

Went back to the supplying dealer, they have agreed for the repairs recommended by our independent again without quibbling.  So i'm almost thankful to Lexus for overdoing the doom and gloom as the independent garage costs will be around £1100, far better than £3,500.

Apart from that really enjoying the car, it would have been a pain in the butt to have had to reject it as the boss has fallen in love with it.

Just to confirm, the dealer you bought the car from is paying for another garage to do the work? 

Thanks PCM all sorted, car came back on Wednesday. Dealer has put almost £1k into the car.  I will have ruin his Monday as the main window switch panel on the drivers door is playing up again, this was identified prior to sale and was swapped out but whilst I can open the rear windows from it I can't open the passenger one.  A new one is about £700.

it remains a very relaxing car to drive and Mrs A is delighted to drive it.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Have not been on here for a while as the car has been impeccable and beyond 2 tyres and an oil and filter change does exactly what is says on the tin (so to speak), a very happy Mrs A for sure, she's already planning for the 400h in about 2 years time.  I've been distracted with alfa romeo's, more character but less reliability.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links