Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking for IS200t / IS250

Hi guys,

In order not to start another topic (please tell me if that's needed), I'm going to write few bits here.

I'm quite new around here (don't throw with stones yet :D ), I'm currently having an Accord CU2 2.4 2009 205 HP. Since it's a left hand drive, I have to change it. So, after few researches, I've decided to stick with Lexus (until I'll get a 2nd car, my dream, WRX STI); but since this needs to be for me and my partner, I guess would be the best option.

I'm currently looking for something similar (I really love my car), and when I went through few options (BMW 4 Series, Mazda 6, and few others) I've decided, like I said, to stay with Lexus (my partner loves Lexus so it's a win-win).

So, since I'm a sportive driver (I'm around 33), I'm looking for something fast, but decent in the same time. So, I guess IS250 or IS200T are the best for the moment (my budget will be around 20-22k).

My questions for you would be:

- what's the difference (except engine size and HP) between IS250 vs IS200T?

- what should I expect as problems/issues? with my Honda I need to replace the oil (as I have K&N filters) and that's pretty much all :)

- any suggestions why I shouldn't buy one of these models?

I would go with IS250, but if I'll find any positive things for IS200T which will deflect IS250, then maybe I'll reconsider.

But, I'm quite settled in my mind about one of these, as I love how it looks like. Unfortunately I hadn't had a change to drive it, as they had IS300h only for test drive at that moment when I took the test drive.

Thanks for the moment!

IS250 is a V6 and makes a better noise. Its also slower by a margin. Needs to be revved to get the most from it whereas the 200t doesnt.

You'll struggle to get a 200t for 22k whereas you could find an IS250 for that much easily. The 200t only came out this year and therefore you'd get a basic model for around £24k.

No issues with these cars, they are bulletproof.

Id strongly suggest you test drive the IS300h as well, its odd to dismiss it just because its a hybrid.

I've already took a test drive with is300h, and I didn't like it. I prefer CU2 instead of IS300h. That hybrid is not for me. It was quite fast, but with no feeling about speeding up. I know about the prices of IS250 vs 200T, but I'm asking you guys which one worth more (and here I'm thinking about mods as well); if IS200T is the best one, I will try to increase my budget.

Thanks @rayaans

The IS200t is the better option, however, you won't get the "speeding up" sensation in them down to how quiet they are.

You can't do mods on these cars, the ECU is under lockdown. No one has cracked the IS200t one yet.

2 hours ago, ady_uaic said:

But can you ad CAI to them? or any technical mods?

You can add an intake but all that gets you is more sound and really, thats not something you want on the IS200t anyway as it doesn't sound particularly great compared to the V6. You can also add an exhaust but again, more sound.

Essentially you wont get anymore power out of the car unless someone cracks the ECU on the IS200t and pumps it up to around 300hp. The IS250 wont see any significant gains if it does get cracked due to being an NA engine

IS250 as far as I know has already around 245HP (or was it 200T) ? Which is enough for me.

I'm considering an hybrid as well, maybe that short test drive didn't do the trick :). I'm booking it again for 24h.

9 hours ago, ady_uaic said:

IS250 as far as I know has already around 245HP (or was it 200T) ? Which is enough for me.

I'm considering an hybrid as well, maybe that short test drive didn't do the trick :). I'm booking it again for 24h.

The 200t has 241hp. The 250 has 205hp. 

• Like 1

why not another CU2 Accord UK model? I heard they are nice cars to drive and quite bullet proof aswell. if you need the space then a CU2 Accord or the 3.5 V6 290 bhp legend as they have a large boot and more rear leg room.

IS250 V6 will pretty much drive the same as the CU2 in real life might handle better than CU2 if you go for the Fsport but acceleration might not feel any different. 

is200T will be much quicker than CU2 and 250 V6 and will be derivable i terms of lower speed acceleration due to having more torque low down the revs and has better mpg than IS250.

WRX STI is the quickest of them all but you pay more on road tax and fuel and can be tuned further since ecu can be hacked compared to the is200t.

so depending on other factors you look for in a car the CU2 uk model will be bigger in terms of space than a 250 and performance will be similar. Legend will be bigger and will out perform 250 and cu2 and will be similar to IS200T in terms of performance but fuel and road tax is high

WRX wont be cheap to fuel and tax either and will out perform all but wont be a 'luxury' drive.

if i were to choose i would spend about 10K for the luxury 290bhp Legend due to needing more space and use the other 10k saved to run it.  if i didn't need the space, i would get the WRX Sti for all out performance. and my partner can always drive it in economy mode using SI drive. :smile:

If I'm going to take another CU2 UK model, it needs to be like mine (sort of white leather interior, 2.4, AT) which I couldn't find so far. I don't like black interior (except sport cars).

H Legend I don't really like, except the fact that's a Honda :).

Thank you so much for so much details.

Another car which can be brought in discussion, is the new Civic Type R which is sort of a beast (but I think the price exceeds the reality).

L.E. by the way, why are you so concerned about tax road? That's so small comparing with insurance (or at least that's what I've understood).

Is the road tax not £500? Thats more than I pay for insurance on my RX. IS200t works out about £300-400 for insurance, all things dependent ofc

Oh, I didn't know that. I thought that's max 100£. In this case yes, I will definitely re-consider. What about Mitsubishi Evo X ? Does anyone have any info about road tax/insurance, etc?

Thanks a lot guys for your quick replies!

3 hours ago, ady_uaic said:

Oh, I didn't know that. I thought that's max 100£. In this case yes, I will definitely re-consider. What about Mitsubishi Evo X ? Does anyone have any info about road tax/insurance, etc?

Yep, just double checked. The Subaru is £870 for the first year and then £500 odd after that.

The EVO will have to be around 2009-12 plate. They're quite rare and need servicing every 6 months/4500 miles I believe. You wont be doing much more than 15mpg either.

It also appears you're comparing apples to oranges at the moment. The WRX and EVO have a very harsh ride.

3 hours ago, ady_uaic said:

Have you actually sat in a Scooby or Evo?? Neither are in production, and have interiors that were considered bad 5-10 years ago, they must feel like going back into the 2000's now.

If you want a fast hatch right now your spoilt for choice, Golf R, M235i, Focus RS, Civic Type R. All will run rings around a IS200t and be much more liveable than a Scooby or Evo.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

One of the reasons I got rid of my 2007 2.4 auto accord was the £450 road tax. The IS300h has twice the MPG and £10 road tax so much cheaper to run, but similar cars to drive.

so you mean that my CU2 is quite similar to IS300h? That would be a very easy situation for the moment. Cheers mate!

@ganzoom by Scooby you mean STI? If that's so, then I went to a test drive and I was in love. Of course you can't compare it with Lexus or Honda, but for me it's a good thing for a couple of years (especially that I'm planning to go on tracks as well, if I'll choose a sport car).

Focus RS or Golf I don't like so much, but Type R definitely. As a matter of fact I was thinking to take a Civic Type R 2007-2008 and modify it through a Mugen pack (including turbo-charger, etc).

I will reconsider IS300h, since it's just a small price difference for it.

^^ I think you need to decide what you want in a car, I've done my time with Type R cars - Had a DC2 Integra R which was about raw as you get aside from the EK9 Civic. The IS300H couldn't be more different from a STI/EVO/Type R. If your thinking about taking a car to the track and sticking on turbo chargers forget the IS, it isn't designed for that role.

You might also reconsider your budget, a 2007 Type R must now be sub £10k where as the IS even used is double that. If I was you I would consider something like a Megan RS or even something like a GT86 or a turbo/supercharged MX-5. Save the IS for when your old and grey like the rest of us :),

thanks @ganzoom for all the info. I'm basically looking for something like CU2 but a bit more sportive. I don't want to start an endless topic about Audi, Bmw or other cars, and I will reconsider for IS300h like I said. I'm quite new with all paperworks here (driver license changed from romanian to UK, and it will be no bonus) and everything will finalize through a high cost car if I choose STI, or too sportive (as I understand as sportive it is, as much you're gonna pay - road tax, insurance, maintenance of the car and so on).

But, for the moment, I want something at least similar with my CU2, and if I can a bit sportive, that's even better; if not, IS300h was a nice feeling, and I saw that they are around 14-15k. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ady_uaic said:

But, for the moment, I want something at least similar with my CU2, and if I can a bit sportive, that's even better; if not, IS300h was a nice feeling, and I saw that they are around 14-15k. 

something like the CU2 will be the Legend and thats even better as it has more power than CU2, 4 Wheel drive and a V6 engine which will sound good with a Mugen CAI. am quite surprised you dont like the Legends. what i like about them is they dont shout look at me. theroad tax and mpg is high but decent ones with respectable mileage could be picked up for half your budget and money saved could be used to run it and dare i say might drive better than an IS250/200T. 

have you also considered Infiniti G37/M37 ?? another understated Q luxury car which has been shunned by European car buyer but does very well stateside.

• Like 1

Have you looked at the FD2 Civic Type R?? 

It an import only car,  essentially the Japanese version of the Type R we got, but better in every way.

Its got awesome reviews and have hardly deprecated in the last 5 years. If anything prices are now starting to go up. Its a 4 door family car that will crack 60 in less than 6seconds, has Honda reliability, and will loss £0 in deprecation if you look after it. What's not to like :). 

http://www.pistonheads.com/regulars/ph-spottedykywt/spotted-honda-civic-type-r-fd2/26723

The Infiniti G50 is good alternative, there's a hybrid version that is suppose to be very good, and use prices are very tempting. 

Being very honest I have to say I don't think a IS300H is for you. It does many things very well but a track day car or a B road blaster it is NOT. I haven't tried a IS200t so cannot comment. 

Ofcourse if you really want a car that combines comfort and speed you have to consider the BMW 340i and Audi S4. 

Despite reliability issues my old 335i is/was the best petrol car i ever owned/driven. It was as much at home doing the daily commute, but loved been thrashed on a twisty B road,  yet still refined enough my wife feel aspleep whilst I was doing 140mph+ chasing after a S5 on the autobahn. 

In the USA Lexus offer the IS350 which is supposd to be just as good as the BMW/Audi. But sadly here in the UK we don't get that option :(. 

I truly loved my old 335i, if I haven't been converted to an EV addict (my current and future cars have to be full EVs), I would still be in the 335i, probably would have gone down the modified turbo route and chasing 500bhp+ on normal unleaded :wub:

14779273880_68aa9ecf57_z_d.jpg

• Like 1

I was thinking about BMW 330 at least, but the main issue for me about bmw, audi, vw is the reliability: too expensive, and it crashes in the worst moments.

the FD2 would be a very good option, but I can't find something good for sale here. 

That's one of the reasons for which I want to stick with Asian cars: reliability and performance. They are so f*** good!

• Like 1

Try this website (http://www.pistonheads.com):

There are 6 for sale, at £13-15K I don't think your loss a single £ on deprecation. These are the last of the NA Type R's, and if the reviews are to be believed the best. The K20A engine in them is rock solid, add in factory LSD, brembo brakes, limited production, these are going to follow the original DC2 Integra Type R. If you want a diver focused car forget the IS, go for one of those.  

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds?Category=used-cars&M=367&NoDoors=004

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links