Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Start up warnings

Hi,

I have just acquired a one-owner used 2007 RX400h SE and am comparing it to the (then new) 2008 RX400h I bought when living in California.

There are a number of minor differences (as expected) but one that is driving me insane. When I switch on the ignition to START I am greeted by an array of warning lights (as expected) PLUS an unbelievably loud and annoying series of sounds & sirens that seem to go on for ages. Talk about OTT! You would think the thing was about to self-destruct!

Is there any way of reducing the time and/or the volume of these warnings? Better yet, turning them off?

Thanks

David

Hi . Not sure what you mean by sounds and sirens. Only normal dashboard system lights come on in mine. No warning noise.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Video played for me...

Think I'd be called a Lexus dealer for advice... might even get a free opinion over the phone?

14 minutes ago, rynd2it said:

OK, video with sound - sorry it's upside down, used a "smart"phone :rolleyes:

20160602_104334.mp4

Don't worry, it looked the right way up for me. For info, it's a 40MB file.

I can see how that would get annoying. Very strange that there are no warning lights associated with the noises...

Have you tried checking the information display screen for clues?

2 minutes ago, robski said:

Don't worry, it looked the right way up for me. For info, it's a 40MB file.

I can see how that would get annoying. Very strange that there are no warning lights associated with the noises...

Have you tried checking the information display screen for clues?

Annoying is hardly the word :unsure: All the lights go out as the hybrid system starts, I will check the info screen again though.

It is booked in to Lexus Norwich next Tuesday to check out the parking sensors and some corrosion on the roof rail supports. I'll add this to the list if we can't find a solution here.

Thanks

Hi again, just rechecked everything and I think it is related to the parking sensors. The sound is very like that of a sensor detecting a very close object. Lt's see what the dealer makes of it and I'll post the results

Thanks all

David

Went to the dealer today - it is the sensors and they said they may have to replace everything involved - cost estimate could be as high as £1200!

That might be OK but they also looked at some corrosion on the underneath of the end panels on the roof rails. They recommend complete new rails at £1157 :angry: I'll be visiting the local body shop for this one.

14 minutes ago, rynd2it said:

That might be OK but they also looked at some corrosion on the underneath of the end panels on the roof rails. They recommend complete new rails at £1157 :angry: I'll be visiting the local body shop for this one.

I think this is a common problem with a simple solution.

Remove. Rub down alloy corrosion. Prime. Spray satin black. Refit.

Job done!

I think there are some good instructions on roof bar removal on the US site....

In fact, here you go!

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-second-generation/454203-roof-rack-removal-procedure.html

Hope that helps.

I had problems with parking sensors behaving erratically on my 450h.

This is an extract from my post on a different thread... might be of help before you go and spend a lot of money on having your sensors replaced, in particular if you recently applied any type of clear coat or wax over the sensors.

Here is what was explained to me as a possible - but not definitive - cause of my problems. I am saying possible, as diagnostics did not pick up any fault. I hope I will do the technician justice in my explanation below!.

The sensors are made of three main parts. An outer ring, a small disc (the sensor), and in between a rubber ring. The sensor works in a way that is similar to a sonar, sending and receiving sound waves. The rubber ring around it allows the sensor to register the tiny vibrations from incoming sound waves. When the 3G glass coat (clear coat protection) was applied to my car, it was also applied over the sensors and surrounding rubber ring. Over time, the 3G glass coat hardened to such an extent that the rubber ring became completely rigid, thus preventing any kind of movement., hence confusing the system.

The sensors were removed, dismantled and thoroughly cleaned so as to remove all trace of the clear coat, and then re-installed.

No problem since.

• Like 1

Thanks Dan,

Interesting information although I suspect not an issue on mine as its a 2007 and unlikely to have been clear-coated recently. On a previous vehicle I had one failed sensor which was identified by the fitter simply by moving his hand in front of it and listening intently. Lexus are not interested in diagnostics - just replace with new and the aftermarket fitters won't fix it, although they would investigate it for a fee. Which may well be my next port of call

Cheers

I had same corrosion problem on roof rails, I removed them and got them grit blasted and powdercoated £40 and then I refitted, job done.  Have you asked Roys motor company in Norwich to see if they can sort your parking sensor fault ? They are very good and far cheaper than Lexus. Lexus Independant dealer and have been for years.

On 6/8/2016 at 4:28 PM, lurch said:

I had same corrosion problem on roof rails, I removed them and got them grit blasted and powdercoated £40 and then I refitted, job done.  Have you asked Roys motor company in Norwich to see if they can sort your parking sensor fault ? They are very good and far cheaper than Lexus. Lexus Independant dealer and have been for years.

Roys did a full diagnostic check and could not find a fault or a fault code. They did remove the parking sensor control module and now the start-up beeps and buzzers have stopped. All is quiet again as it should be. Looks like the price of a new control module is about £70 but before I spend the money I'm trying to find out if it could be causing the problem. There is an LED on the box, no idea what it indicates though. Part number is 4M0178T2H, fairly common it seems in Toyota vehicles (it actually says Toyota on it).

Anyone any ideas where I can get a spec? Calls to Cobra are not getting anywhere and Google just gives me Dutch and other foreign websites.

Thanks

David

Found this hope this helps , it is from a few years back but may be worth calling them. Mine booked into Roys next week full service and cambelt.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 13:24    Post subject:  Reply with quote

The control details are as follows; 
The part I need is as follows; 
Toyota. PZ464-00425-02 
4MO 178T2H 
SW:8.0 CONF: 01 
e24. 021044 
12v COBRA AT 
Made in Italy 
S/N. 000496176287 

Hi John, 

With regards to your enquiry about a parking sensor control unit I can confirm it is available from Toyota GB and will cost £66.02 inc vat. As for shipment 
can you please email your address for an estimation of cost to courier the part. 

Please also bear in mind we only use UPS and from experience they are not the cheapest. 

Kind regards 

Aaron Henry 
Parts Manager 
Steven Eagell Toyota 

I hope this is of help to you.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links