Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

RX300 (2002) boot struts

Hi All,  Any idea where I can find some decent boot struts for my 2002 RX300? - I have looked on the and loads of Japanese writing but did find the code 1FK28TF96 engraved on the black part of the strut - Can not find anything on the interwebs regarding this number.

Any help appreciated 

The part number is 6895049016 or 1HK03TF96

Cant help on where to get them but the US seems like a good bet - most dont ship to the UK though

I believe a good option might be to go see a Toyota dealer who may do it cheaper or go for an aftermarket option (plenty available)

I'm just awaiting delivery of new struts for my 2005 RX300 from SGS Engineering. They should arrive on Tuesday and were just under £100 including VAT and delivery. Obviously I've not got them yet so can't say how good they are but they've been a helpful company to deal with.

If your old struts, like mine have the unremovable plates you will either have to send your old struts along with your new ones back to SGS to get them to 

replace old for new or get a fine hacksaw and persuade via judicial sawing and bending the old cups to release the plates and snap on the new struts.......

Remembering to replace the circlips.

Good luck, I am sawing mine this afternoon.......:whip:

Unlike the video the RX300/400 struts do not have the little sliding release devices to ease the cup off the sphere.Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 06.48.16.png

Also if DIY- ing remember to grease the cup and silicone seal the plate to stop water getting under the plates.

Edited by Beejay
extra comments
  • Like 1

I have ordered the 4 handed plates with balls and given up trying to saw the cups open.  The chances of scoring the sphere whilst sawing grooves 

in the cup is very likely with my level of hacksawing skills. A pack of 4 plates is £45 and should arrive on Wednesday.

It seems 300/400 model tailgate struts are similar items.

Oh dear, I think I broke out the champagne a bit too soon because Alexis is still poorly :sad:

Before fitting the new struts the tailgate would only raise successfully on about three out of every seven or eight attempts; the rest of the time would see the two beeps sound, then the door would raise about three inches and go back down to latch closed again.

Since fitting the new struts the 'open three inches and go back down again' behaviour has only happened once in about 20 test open/close cycles, but what's happening now is that the tailgate is lifting to maybe two-thirds of the way open, giving one beep and then closing back down again. It's only giving a truly successful open/close about 20% of the time over 20 test cycles.

Not sure if I could post a 92MB video file on here so I uploaded it to my Photobucket account and you can see it here

The new struts have obviously made a difference but just not quite cured the problem. We only bought the car three weeks ago so I'm hoping that it may just need resetting somehow. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Sounds like the struts (as they are new) are causing too much resistance/stiffer than the old ones and the hatch motor thinks there is an obstruction, hence beeping and then closing...

Can the stiffness of the strut be altered or there may be a calibration 'pot' inside the motor hatch that can be adjusted to compensate.

Could swing by Lexus dealer and politely ask them and see if they can point you in the right direction (if not be super nice and adjust it for you!!)

Chris.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ChrisKaye said:

Could swing by Lexus dealer and politely ask them and see if they can point you in the right direction (if not be super nice and adjust it for you!!)

Thanks Chris, that may be an idea - and it also leads to another question :smile: This is the first Lexus I've ever owned and my nearest Lexus dealer is about 30 miles away. If I ever need any parts that can only be had from a main dealer, does it specifically have to be Lexus or will Toyota dealers also supply (my nearest one is less than 4 miles away)?

And I should also say 'Sorry' to SteveTJ for hijacking his topic :wink3:

My Lexus spares are in the Toyota spares dept.

I am sure that if you have the part number they can get it for you. I get instant attention if I can quote a part number. Incidentally I found via the net that the same part number in the USA is considerably cheaper!  Just Google a Lexus number and note the lower USA price.

An £11+ rear door bracket is $9 in the USA. 

🌝

• Like 1

Thanks Brian, that's good to know. Sadly, the price differential exists in most things that I've ever looked at, from computer parts to suitcases or whatever. It just seems that the entire business world thinks they can stick 20 or 30% on just to sell to us mugs here in the UK.

1 hour ago, ChrisKaye said:

Look up lexus Birmingham - had great experiences with postal orders with them and looking up part numbers etc.

Cheers Chris, I'll bear that in mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally fitted my 400h rear door gas struts and all seems to be back to normal  -  

Well it was in my garage but after a few hours in the sun the boot opens a fraction and then closes again........

Is there a way of checking the rear door lid motor with dismantling the rear of the RX?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links