Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Disappointed with IS220d engine ; remap?

36 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

While I agree in general with you Eric, I must say in the almost 10,000 miles I have done in mine, it has been perfectly reliable and comfortable, as well as damn fine looking! :smile:

And that is my point; It has the same seats, stereo, sat nav, interior trim, exterior panel and paint, wheels, brakes and suspension as a IS250.

What I am saying is that, while it is important, the engine of a car is not the be-all and end-all of that car, and in all other respects my IS is all Lexus.

I will give you an example;  There is another thread on this forum where I share my thoughts on a new IS 200t F Sport.  My main concern was that the ride was too hard and the seat too uncomfortable for my liking.  Anyway, despite this is issue, I still think it is a damn fine car and a proper Lexus.  It is just that I personally wouldn't choose the F Sport because of the suspension and seats.

I just think some people on this forum overreact when they hear IS220, and I am sure there are plenty of perfectly happy 220 owners out there.

if you think the 220D is a good car you would be blown away with almost everything else out there tbh, Its not worthy of the Lexus badge at the end of the day. If your one is running well its good to know but with a horrific and ancient engine under the hood the reality is that its not a very good car at all.

Well, that was not my intention, but ok. :smile:

My point is that you guys are fixating on a specific part.

What I am trying to say (evidently not very well) is that there is enough good in the rest of the car to make it worthy of a Lexus badge.

Is the engine and gearing of the 220 a pain?  Yes.  Doesn't it make it a horrible car to drive?  No.

What I am saying is that when I am behind the wheel, I don't sit there brooding about the engine under the bonnet.  I love all the rest of the experience enough that I enjoy driving it regardless.  To me, that makes it good enough to wear the badge.

Now don't get me wrong, I agree a IS250 is a better car, but that doesn't automatically mean that the 220 is terrible; it is just less good. :smile:

All my opinion of course.

... unless it starts making some funny noise from engine compartment one day and that would mean anywhere between "nothing" to "complete rebuilt" of the engine.

I have said I am not going to get in IS220d treads anymore.. but now I just get in one again "that guy with funny noise". I am about to say ... that could be anything considering it is IS220d... anything.. 

But the point taken... I agree with you. You enjoy the car and that is what matters.. even if it is not the best car. I am not trying to make you to scrap it or something. 

9 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

But the point taken... I agree with you. You enjoy the car and that is what matters.. even if it is not the best car. I am not trying to make you to scrap it or something. 

Glad to hear it :smile:

For what it's worth Shahpor, Toffee_pie has a habit of being insulting on here.  As far as I know, he no longer owns a Lexus and the one he had was a IS250 but with the manual gear box. Not the ideal Lexus IS either.

Pleased you're enjoying yours and are able to see around the cars weakness and enjoy your ride.

Thanks for that Steve.

Don't worry, Eric and I have had our run ins before, but it is all good now. :smile:

He obviously loves you guys so much he can't leave. :tongue::smile:

15 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Thanks for that Steve.

Don't worry, Eric and I have had our run ins before, but it is all good now. :smile:

He obviously loves you guys so much he can't leave. :tongue::smile:

I believe he is still looking for his next IS250 (auto)... even though we have argued previously regarding IS250 MT. Was something very similar as this argument about IS220d

1 hour ago, Shahpor said:

You guys are missing the point, but never mind. :smile:

How is the manual vs auto discussion in any way relavant to this topic on a diesel d4d lexus vs a is250 (auto or manual). 

I moved on from Lexus, I did not want an auto is250 as I had a manual and would have gained nothing. I have another Jap beast and it will leave a is250 (AUTO) for dust :wheelchair:

its certainly not as comfortable as a Lexus but the performance is streets ahead and the road handling a different planet, I had a terrible experience with the CL55 and wanted a car that was fun and exciting to drive and of course reliable. This certainly fits the bill.

20160625_191751.jpg20160625_191828.jpg20160625_193232.jpg20160604_183007.jpg

Well considering it is H6... which if I am right makes it 3L boxter engine at ~250ag and 300NM... not exactly match for 2.5L V6 with 204AG is it ?

10 minutes ago, toffee_pie said:

How is the manual vs auto discussion in any way relavant to this topic on a diesel d4d lexus vs a is250 (auto or manual). 

It is like comparing apples with oranges .. you right. It is only me... I just have exactly the same feeling when I come and say IS220d is terrible option Shahpor comes to defend it or when I say IS250 MT is terrible option and you defend it. And you the only 2 guys on the forum respectively defending IS220d and IS250 MT.

4 minutes ago, steveledzep said:

Says it all really !

i have had my comfort in 2 years sat in a Lexus, the Subaru is far more rewarding and exciting to drive truth be told. Horses for courses and all that. 

3 minutes ago, toffee_pie said:

Horses for courses and all that. 

Agree with that Toffee, depends on your driving style and aspiration.

Shame your comfort in the Lexus was compromised by having to move your left leg and arm repeatedly.

@Linas.P Well, I am certainly not saying that you don't have the right to your own opinion.  The only reason I originally posted in this thread is because it is hard to not feel unwelcome on this forum sometimes since I apparently have the devils own car.

Also, I do like to point out on some threads that things aren't always black and white, especially when it comes to cars.

As for the rest, I am just bored and this is fun. :smile:

6 minutes ago, steveledzep said:

Shame your comfort in the Lexus was compromised by having to move your left leg and arm repeatedly.

Now now Steve, naughty! :tongue::smile:

9 minutes ago, steveledzep said:

as opposed to having wind blowing in my hair with the roof down in an underwhelming v6

decisions, decisions....

I have no regrets in buying this car and love the way its under the radar of everyone, including Steve and probably the Audi A5 driver in Southampton last week who wanted me to get out of his way only to be left for dust.

I have no problem with that. I would actually buy IS220d myself if I need to do 50 miles trip a day on the motorway with average speed of 60 and nothing else, no traffic, no city driving, no short trips. But there are very few people in this country who does exactly this kind of trip. Maybe somewhere in the most remote place in Scotland where closest petrol station and market is 20 miles away and there are exactly 3 cars on the road in the day.

8 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

@Linas.P Well, I am certainly not saying that you don't have the right to your own opinion.  The only reason I originally posted in this thread is because it is hard to not feel unwelcome on this forum sometimes since I apparently have the devils own car.

Also, I do like to point out on some threads that things aren't always black and white, especially when it comes to cars.

As for the rest, I am just bored and this is fun. :smile:

call down to Southampton and have a go in a 3 litre subaru, your thoughts on a 220D will be swiftly forgotten.

@Linas.P I swear this is the truth, but I actually bought the car because I do 120 mile round trip all the time and I usually stick to 60mph while doing it :smile:  Of the 10k odd miles I have done, probably around 8k of them have been the kind of journey you describe.  Otherwise, I would have bought a IS250.

@toffee_pie  I couldn't possibly do that.  I might like it too much and I can't get rid of my IS at the moment. :tongue::smile:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, toffee_pie said:

in an underwhelming v6

The same V6 you extolled the virtues of for a long while despite its manual gearbox.

I have no interest in leaving A5s for dust, would prefer Audi drivers use their indicators !  If I wanted a performance car I'd have bought an ISF or something else.

Pleased you're happy with your wheels Eric, but Subaru no interest whatsoever on a Lexus forum.

1 minute ago, steveledzep said:

The same V6 you extolled the virtues of for a long while despite its manual gearbox.

I have no interest in leaving A5s for dust, would prefer Audi drivers use their indicators !  If I wanted a performance car I'd have bought an ISF or something else.

Pleased you're happy with your wheels Eric, but Subaru no interest whatsoever on a Lexus forum.

very well but no need for snide remarks is there, but you just cant help youurself. The mere fact you have a coupe says enough about you

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links